The Dark Mod Forums

Testers needed: DarkRadiant + wxWidgets

TDM uses Doom 3 engine. All cmd args are already there. All that is required is to run external process with cmd args, that would be set via Build menu gui of DR.

I've done this for my Doom 3 BFG mod launcher using Qt5 frameworks. wxWidgets have the same capacity.

Ah, interesting. That might be useful in the future, thank you :)

Edit: But how do you make the engine exist after the dmap? With "+dmap mymap.map" it stays in the console after it is done. With autocommands.cfg, it can exit automatically afterwards.

Edited by Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This worked with Quake 3 and QeRadiant, as it was a separate executable (q3map2.exe) to convert maps files to bsp which the engine used.

We're not doing that now, we have to run the game and pass the command with variables, I don't think you can do what you want here.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

TDM uses Doom 3 engine. All cmd args are already there. All that is required is to run external process with cmd args, that would be set via Build menu gui of DR.

I've done this for my Doom 3 BFG mod launcher using Qt5 frameworks. wxWidgets have the same capacity.

Does this cause Doom 3 to actually run though?

This worked with Quake 3 and QeRadiant, as it was a separate executable (q3map2.exe) to convert maps files to bsp which the engine used.

We're not doing that now, we have to run the game and pass the command with variables, I don't think you can do what you want here.

Works since 2012: http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3199

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah but that still runs Doom3/TDM, then calls DMAP. I though the whole point of having dmap options in DarkRadiant would be to be able to DMAP without running the game, maybe just have a command prompt/terminal window with DMAP output, which sounds like what Greebo was working on.

And besides, kind of pointless, if you're working on a map, just bind a key to Dmap <mapname> ; quit, then run TDM and press F11.

Edit: But how do you make the engine exist after the dmap? With "+dmap mymap.map" it stays in the console after it is done. With autocommands.cfg, it can exit automatically afterwards.

Yeah but that still runs Doom3/TDM, then calls DMAP. I though the whole point of having dmap options in DarkRadiant would be to be able to DMAP without running the game, maybe just have a command prompt/terminal window with DMAP output, which sounds like what Greebo was working on.

And besides, kind of pointless, if you're working on a map, just bind a key to Dmap <mapname> ; quit, then run TDM and press F11.

Why would you want to compile map, and not even check if it works?! o.O

The point is that you can run a process instance minimized, and quit after it's done. So initial process instance would run and stay running. If you build map second time, a new instance would run minimized, quit after building is done and you just reload map in the original instance.

Monitoring dmap as it goes is pointless. You can dump console output into log file, after dmap is done, and see what's in it.

Otherwise, yea, I can just press arrow up to bring previous cmd while in the game's console and compile it :/

Well if the point is to Dmap then run it in TDM, why do I need that option in DarkRadiant?

You can bind a key to dmap then map, so it's 2 extra mouse clicks. What is the point of having it in DR then?

The point is that you can run a process instance minimized, and quit after it's done. So initial process instance would run and stay runnin. If you build map second time, a new instance would run minimized, quit after building is done and you just reload map in the original instance.

This is also kind of pointless. If you run TDM but keep it minimized with your map loaded, then run TDM again in another instance just to DMap, then go back to the other instance to reload the new map....what's the point? Just Dmap then run the map in the same instance.

There's definitely something I'm not getting here and I'm sorry for being so dense.

But I'm not pushing against it, I just want to understand, I feel so stupid for not getting the point of it I just want someone to explain :(

And I make no decisions here and no one working on this project is using my opinion to implement something or not, don't worry about that :)

And I'm cluttering up this thread with crap, so I'll just peace out.

Good day.

But I'm not pushing against it, I just want to understand, I feel so stupid for not getting the point of it I just want someone to explain :(

It's a matter of preference maybe? Original Doom3Edit has BSP menu to build map. And you can still open game instance and compile map from the console, like you have been suggesting.

I am just asking about possibility. I am not pushing for it :)

Edited by motorsep

Can we have this as default if at all possible please? as has been in previous versions etc.

Of course it's the default already. DR 2.0.0 has the same default binds as previous versions, and it can load a 1.8.1 set of binds from your appdata settings. Just switching back from 2.0.0 to 1.8.1 is causing unbinds.

I found a problem setting up conversations under map > Conversations: I can't set Actors. After creating a new conversation entity and editing a new conversation and adding a "New Actor", the tooltip says to click the edit the actor but nothing happens with left- or right-clicking. Tracked at http://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=3833

Thanks for spotting that, this is fixed now. A new pre9 build is up, see first post.

Working in DR and so far I am only seeing issues with UI alignment / sizing (which I already mentioned earlier). Pretty sweet! Good job!

Thanks. Please, check out the latest pre9 release and let me know if any of these are still there.

So I launched pre9 (I am sure I'd have the same issue in any of preX) and since entity properties window was short (can we have it a bit larger in height by default?), I decided to make it larger and dragged the bottom of the frame down. I think I overdone it, because it snapped to the bottom frame of the main window and I wasn't able to restore it :/

Screenie (red box is where it happened): http://i.imgur.com/wHkaeu1.png

So, now I can't use that lower section of the entity property window to set color or tick some checkbox options. Can I somehow restore it manually while it's being fixed ?

Hm, I'd have to check, it's possible that wxWidgets allows these splitter windows to collapse and remove one window completely. A restart should fix it, I think. Meanwhile, I'll be checking the code.

Just found small thing - NextView seems to be unbound by default (Ctrl + Tab)

Another small thing - Duplicate (CloneSelection) seems to be unbound by default (Space)

Another thing I noticed is that binds aren't shown in the top drop down menu, across from the menu item name. For example, Edit > Duplicate BACKSPACE

Don't remember if that was already reported, but Surface Inspector dialog is squashed from the bottom: http://i.imgur.com/ujKtAv2.png

Some oddities with projected lights: http://i.imgur.com/2we6r1m.png

Edited by motorsep

Thanks, I'll look into those.

The menu issue is known (to me), this is a problem with wxWidgets I haven't found a solution for yet. When I add accelerators to the menu items, they get automatically registered as hotkeys by wxWidgets (at least in the MSW implementation) and hitting Space and S and whatnot causes all kinds of weird interaction issues, so I had to remove them. I still have to find a way to display the shortcuts without having wxWidgets bind them for me.

I'm not sure I get it, what's wrong with the projected light?

I adjusted the default window sizes for LightInspector, SurfaceInspector and PatchInspector.

I couldn't reproduce the missing NextView and Duplicate keybinds, they are defined in the default user.xml that ships with DarkRadiant and they are loading fine. Could this be another instance of the back-forth-switch between 1.8.1 and 2.0.0 on your end? They must be missing in your input.xml in the AppData folder.

I couldn't reproduce the missing NextView and Duplicate keybinds, they are defined in the default user.xml that ships with DarkRadiant and they are loading fine. Could this be another instance of the back-forth-switch between 1.8.1 and 2.0.0 on your end? They must be missing in your input.xml in the AppData folder.

Yep, that could be the case. I didn't have them in the input.xml after I switched to 1.8.1 and back to 2.0.0.

EDIT:

Back to hot keys not showing up in the menus. Find 10 differences, so to speak:

1.8.1: http://i.imgur.com/kUz4iCl.png

2.0.0 pre9: http://i.imgur.com/PxiqbaP.png

Edited by motorsep

I made another attempt at fooling the wxWidgets code, such that it fails to parse the accelerator string. There's a new pre-release build (pre10), see first post.

Seems like it's working now :)

I don't recall, but I think DR had WASD-like navigation in the CAM view using arrow keys. What happened to that feature ? (or I might be mixing it up with DOOMEdit)

EDIT:

Another nasty bug in pre10 that also, I am almost certain, presents in 1.8.1.

If I use Render preview with lighting, and then try creating model, model viewer shows nothing: http://i.imgur.com/SgcGnHb.png

If I don't use lighting render preview (fullbright textures preview), it works fine: http://i.imgur.com/uQiYSKq.png

(I know I have different models selected on these screenshots, but they all work in fullbright preview)

EDIT #2:

Another thing I noticed is that I have to in a particular active window for Esc or Ctrl + S (save) to work. In 1.8.1 I recall Ctrl + S worked regardless - I didn't even have to think - just press Ctrl + S at any time and save the map. This is no longer the case. I have to click on main window header to have it active and then Ctrl + S would save the map. Same goes for de-selection - apparently if I have selected brush, and I click on Entity's Properties window, hitting Esc won't do anything.

EDIT #3:

Just wondering if Clipper keys are bound by default (mine are missing, but that could be due to switching between 1.8.1 and 2.0.0) or not.

Edited by motorsep