The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: One Step Too Far, by Dragofer (2014/08/04)

Dragofer

Rate One Step Too Far  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

When the mission starts, an AI speaks to you. You can look around but movement is impossible.

I thought that was intentional. After the AI ends it's speech, you are still stuck. Able to look around but not move.

Given that not everyone can replicate, I think it might be Linux specific. @datiswous I recall you are also a Linux user?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Dragofer I was trying see whether the immobilization event is somehow leaking \ executing at the wrong time.

When tracking down the parts, I see a bind to "MoverLookSkelly" but no corresponding entity in the map?

// entity 1040
{
"classname" "target_null"
"name" "target_LookSkelly"
"bind" "MoverLookSkelly"
"cinematic" "1"
"origin" "6772.01 -1056 6660"
}

9 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

@Dragofer I was trying see whether the immobilization event is somehow leaking \ executing at the wrong time.

When tracking down the parts, I see a bind to "MoverLookSkelly" but no corresponding entity in the map?

// entity 1040
{
"classname" "target_null"
"name" "target_LookSkelly"
"bind" "MoverLookSkelly"
"cinematic" "1"
"origin" "6772.01 -1056 6660"
}

The target_null is a focus for a func_cameraview entity used in the cutscene (the latter immobilises the player when activated). Looking at idEntity::Event_SpawnBind in Entity.cpp, nothing happens with regards to binding if the bind entity can't be found. Target_null also works without being bound.

In the original version the cutscene featured a platform (StormFadeMover) that moves the player down a very long corridor with the aim of fading out the cutscene's sound (my self-taught scripting was very rudimentary). In the updated version I do it properly by calling fadeSound on the relevant speakers.

Thanks!

I guess that was a red herring. The problem happens due to a change made in source rev 10498:

May I kindly ask that you nudge the player start position? It seems the current start position relies on incorrect physics and stgatilov does not want to revert to the incorrect behavior.

Edit: Looks there may be a "code side" fix after all.

9 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Thanks!

I guess that was a red herring. The problem happens due to a change made in source rev 10498:

Thanks for tracking down the issue. I've created a new version of the FM with the player start about 8 units further into the centre of the cabin, and datiswous' subtitles. Should work now?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tb0wm-8P57y_yZZ5aHbBX2mOyzeOYOw4/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dragofer said:

Thanks for tracking down the issue. I've created a new version of the FM with the player start about 8 units further into the centre of the cabin, and datiswous' subtitles. Should work now?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tb0wm-8P57y_yZZ5aHbBX2mOyzeOYOw4/view?usp=sharing

Thank you!

Unfortunately it didn't fix the bug.

Not worth it to keep tinkering since stgatilov fixed it on the code side. The next 2.12 beta build will be good to go.

I committed this anyway since it has the new subtitles.

• Like 2

I saw this was updated today so good opportunity to replay. I remember why I liked this FM: Very fluid and immersive and full of surprises! I also remember the biggest downside I felt it has...

Spoiler

It ends very abruptly without an explanation. Will it ever be continued? Either a part two... or even better, building past the cave exit where it currently finishes the mission! It really leaves you wanting more.

Regarding the bug with being stuck at the mission start, I got that too in the latest version of the FM with TDM Beta 12-05: I started stuck and had to noclip to be able to move then everything worked well. I presume 12-06 will fix it so maybe I'll test again then.

Also I was wondering something: I always wondered if the original ship model had a version with the interior, but wasn't sure where I had once seen that. Is the ship itself a generic asset, as in is it okay if someone else uses it on their own map if they need it? The exterior is a standalone model but the version you can actually enter I never found separately in the prefabs.

@MirceaKitsuneThanks for the playthrough and feedback! In recent memory my mapping efforts have gone to new projects that I feel more inspired for - I think they would probably also be more interesting to the broader TDM community.

The fix to Linux users getting stuck at map start was fixed in 12-06. The FM update only covers datiswous' new subtitles and an early attempt to fix the stuck bug by moving the player start a few units.

The ship was made from scratch for this FM with an exterior and interior. It's my first ship asset and I've made a lot more ships since then and which have gone up in build quality progressively. You can send me a PM if you need to get sorted out with a ship for an FM.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've been cleaning off updates on the missions page by updating and replaying them and have been having difficulty with this one. I don't know if there's a trigger broken or what. 
Aside from my issue listed in my spoiler, I found the update plays much smoother, so thank you for that. I realize this is an older mission so may not get fixed at this point, just thought I'd mention in case. :)

Spoiler

I can not get the Tome to advance to trigger the bad guys showing up at the cabin. See screen shot for where it leaves me. I have been to the beach & the ship and I die. I go through either door in the kitchen and I die. The only path it lets me take is to the cave (the ending) and skipping the loot in the chest. I have tried reloading and replaying from several different scenarios from going to bed again, the beach start again and all the way back to grabbing the tome again and reading slowly. Nothing is letting me advance to the bad guys showing up. I don't remember having this difficulty on my original play through long ago. I'm not sure what I'm missing this time around.

Also, in an earlier comment, the Captain's closet was listed as one of the secrets however in this playthrough it wasn't acknowledged as one so can only find 3 of 4.

image.thumb.jpeg.72a5535ef4e19db16adaab2f9e774b2f.jpeg