The Dark Mod Forums

Model Request: Furniture covered in sheets

grayman

A wealthy owner is away for the season, and has covered his furniture in sheets to keep the dust off.

A bereaved father has locked up the room where his daughter lived before her tragic death.

A shop owner keeps extra furniture covered in a back room or attic.

It would be nice to offer a set of sheet-covered furniture for these occasions. We don't need to see the furniture underneath, so generic chairs, sofas, tables, and bookshelf shapes should suffice.

An off-white sheet is fine, with perhaps burlap or canvas as alternate skins.

Thanks.

I've got this on my list of things to do, but cloth normalmaps are a pita. I'll see what I can do after I finish the citywatch I'm working on if no one else volunteers.

Something like this?

post-11230-0-62678100-1407689486_thumb.jpg

post-11230-0-81005100-1407689494_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Would these be sheets by themselves in various shapes, to be added over existing models. Or various models of shaped sheets with various wooden legs sticking out the bottom?

Either way it's a good idea and would save the pain of making it out of patches with all the various folds and creases necessary to make it look good.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Generic models that look like draped sheets with various pieces of furniture under them. "Legs sticking out" is optional. They don't have to conform to our current furniture models; they just need to look like furniture hiding under sheets.

• Like 2

@Springs, what sorta timeframe are you looking at, if Gman needs something now I can quickly knock something up.

It will be a couple days, probably.

And can I make a request of my own, could you make some more book row models from those new book textures you recently made..?

I already made one bookrow model...what were you looking for specifically?

• It will be a couple days, probably.
  • I already made one bookrow model...what were you looking for specifically?

• I have made some patched based sheets, would this help you or would you prefer to start from scratch..?
  • The existing 1.08 book_row model could do with some skins And if possible sopme variations of this model (full width and missing more books etc)

ta.

Right now I'm in the middle of moving to a new house and I have no internet. But if noone has made any before I'm able to I could have a shot at it. But I won't be able to for a couple of months. I could make the models in Zbrush but I'm not sure how decimating will work on them. It could be bad.

As a clarification... Need new furniture models for them? Or already existing ones?

And hey everyone! :P

Edited by Atheran

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

$0.02 from me... If sheet models were made to fit existing furniture, then continuous story lines with existing maps could be easy.

What I mean is...

In one mission, the player enters an inhabited mansion, with lights, clean and polished furniture, etc. Then in a future mission, or later part of the same mission, the mansion could be run-down, abandoned or for sale, with the furniture covered, or full of cobwebs and dusty, etc.

In such a case it would be nice to be able to add fitted sheets to existing furniture.

Else it would be easier to add a simple shaped-sheet model to a new map.

If the new sheet models were made to fit existing models with the same origin(without legs showing below the sheet), then they could potentially replace those models already in a map simply by assigning the same origin/rotation values as the original model.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Ok, modelling draping cloth is NOT my strong suit. I spent a couple days playing around with cloth dynamics in Lightwave (which seems designed to do exactly what we want here) but wasn't able to get it to work properly. So I went to work experimenting with subpatch modelling, which I've never done before either. I got better results with that; see below. I'm not completely happy with it, but I think it's the best I'm likely to come up with until I can devote more time to learning these new techniques. I'm not sure this is good enough for inclusion into the core mod or not, but hopefully it's satisfactory for your mission, grayman.

post-9-0-38886100-1408041727_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There appear to be people sitting in the chairs under the sheets.

That's the basic shape of the armchair1.lwo model.

post-9-0-64314100-1408046884_thumb.jpg

There appear to be people sitting in the chairs under the sheets.

Spooky. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It would be nice to take our regular model and section it above the legs (to cut down on triangles) and then have the sheet draped over it with the bottom of the furniture showing. That way its obvious to the player that its a couch/chair/table with lamp/etc. and the sheet is covering it.

The previous model you linked is decent. I just think the edges of the sheet on the floor need to be more uniform and flowy with less protruding blobs of sheet, if the above doesn't sound good.

This is a really good idea, I like your examples so far. To make the sheets over the existing models and then remove the models except for the legs definitely sounds best in terms of performance. Also maybe a LOD stage or two would be nice; I'm not a modeler myself but considering the fairly simple meshes I'd guess it wouldn't be that complicated to make. It would be nice to try to include LOD stages on as much new models as possible, I'd say.

Edited by Paralytik

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Could I ask a favour? could modestly apply the 'cloth dynamics to my sheet prefabs pretty please..?

drapped_sheets.pfb.txt

As I said, I haven't been able to get cloth dynamics to work properly. The cloth either falls through most of the object or explodes away from it like a mushroom cloud.