The Dark Mod Forums

Styx - Master of Shadows

STiFU

In less than a month the new game featuring Styx is supposed to be released. Somebody already mentioned the game somewhere here, but as it looks damn promising, I think it deserves its own thread. Here is a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjVXu1ntfk

And here is some gameplay footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmBUHoVHsIc

It's on preorder sale with 20% discount on Steam right now.

I certainly love the level design and concept of this game, not a fan of the music though..

Hopefully when it comes out it wont be disappointing.

Edited by Goldwell

Did it say Playstation and Xbox only? Not for PC? Too bad; I would buy it if they had a platform for PC. :angry:

I'll check my Steam account when I get home, just to be sure.

It's coming out on PS4, X-Box One and PC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styx:_Master_of_Shadows

Goldwell, on 12 September 2014 - 11:10 AM, said: It's coming out on PS4, X-Box One and PC

Sa weet. I'm in. I will be getting this for sure.Can't wait to see how much trouble I can get that little critter into. LOL :laugh:

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

I like the look of it also, but when playing games like this I always think - hmm how could I build this in TDM....

First thing I thought is our torches could do with some random flying embers!, and our torch effects are far better than in that E3 vid. the comentator is very good though, I wonder if he would do a lets pay review of our mod for us..?

I don't know but to me the gameplay seemed way to easy and the AI way to dumb, even compared to the old thief games, oh well it seems TDM has spoiled me.

likely too that reviewers aren't playing on Expert difficulty so they don't look daft on video ;)

Looks like assassins creed, with an emphasis on stealth. The AI appeared to be rather blind. I would like to see what the detected/combat -gameplay is like. That would indicate how bad AC clone that really is.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Honestly, I think this doesn't look like AC in the slightest.

3rd person, run around, get behind enemies stab them, hang on ledges, climb walls, pull people down to their death, hide in objects, vast open areas, collect stuff hidden in the map, use a magic view system to survey areas, use tools like smoke bombs... Even the graphical style is similar, although this is more fantasy-like with airships. To my eyes, they cloned the AC concept, and added the minion creature that adds variety which weapons and tools do in AC. In this video they use stealth only, I wonder if the combat game is even more similar to AC. If this game truly requires and rewards stealth-only gameplay (which I doubt, but could be mistaken), then I agree that it is not a direct AC clone. I hope I am mistaken.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I was a huge fan of AC2. They really put a lot of quality effort into capturing Florence and Venice, and Ezio was very engaging. It's a pity the series got poorer with each sequel. It was never a stealth game, because you were invincible in combat, but never mind. The gameplay trailer for Styx didn't remind me of AC, but even if you're right I wouldn't mind them recapturing the good parts of AC.

It does look like it might support the "press 'A' to win" style of gameplaying but it looks really well done and I'm hoping it'll support some sophisticated stealth gameplay too.

Sotha, the feel and goals of Assassin's Creed are completely different. In AC you're in a big city with a lot of people who are neutral towards you, and guards who are only sometimes hostile towards you, rather than no neutral factions and always hostile guards. The focus in AC is on killing and freerunning rather than sneaking. Styx certainly shares some features, but generally it's not like Assassin's Creed at all.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Of course the atmosphere is different here, but it boils down to a lot of similar gameplay mechanics with some additions. That's what he was saying.

I was a huge fan of AC2. They really put a lot of quality effort into capturing Florence and Venice, and Ezio was very engaging. It's a pity the series got poorer with each sequel. It was never a stealth game, because you were invincible in combat, but never mind. The gameplay trailer for Styx didn't remind me of AC, but even if you're right I wouldn't mind them recapturing the good parts of AC.

It does look like it might support the "press 'A' to win" style of gameplaying but it looks really well done and I'm hoping it'll support some sophisticated stealth gameplay too.

You're right, AC2 was VERY strong, but I liked the whole Ezio Story and I also really liked playing as a native american and as a pirate, especially because these last two parts actually featured stealth via hiding in bushes.

Quote from the official Styx dev blog:

If you think that Styx: Master of Shadows will be like a walk in park, you’re wrong! Guillaume, project Manager at Cyanide, explains why, without a little patience and a lot of skill, you'll be in for a tough ride.

Let's see how that turns out... :)

• 3 weeks later...