The Dark Mod Forums

Styx - Master of Shadows

STiFU

This looks a really interesting game. I too saw parallels with AC. Shame they ruined AC was a great series

up to AC2, after that it turned into a mini puzzle fest.

However Styx looks like it should be a fun play through. My only concern is the price. $23.95. Makes me

ask why so cheap? Sure it's a preorder thing, but I wouldve thought this would go out for around $60 or

so on Steam. Even with adding in the 20% discount, it still comes in under $30. So it makes me wonder

if this is one of those really short games that you can knock off in an a couple of hours. Hope not.

Ven

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

However Styx looks like it should be a fun play through. My only concern is the price. $23.95. Makes me

ask why so cheap? Sure it's a preorder thing, but I wouldve thought this would go out for around $60 or

so on Steam. Even with adding in the 20% discount, it still comes in under $30. So it makes me wonder

if this is one of those really short games that you can knock off in an a couple of hours. Hope not.

According to a review on the german magazine Gamestar, it is a pretty good game with some drawbacks. One being that it is pretty short, which is probably the main reason why it is so cheap. Unlike the call of duty people, these don't seem to want to rip you off by selling you a 5 hour single player campagin. :) Completing the main missions is supposed to take 10 hours and with all side missions 20 to 25 hours. That's not much, but there are 4 degrees of difficulty for multiple playthroughs, if you enjoyed the gameplay.

According to a review on the german magazine Gamestar, it is a pretty good game with some drawbacks. One being that it is pretty short, which is probably the main reason why it is so cheap. Unlike the call of duty people, these don't seem to want to rip you off by selling you a 5 hour single player campagin. :) Completing the main missions is supposed to take 10 hours and with all side missions 20 to 25 hours. That's not much, but there are 4 degrees of difficulty for multiple playthroughs, if you enjoyed the gameplay.

I've read that article and it sounds quite promising, especially for the price. The only negative points that concerns me a bit is the ai. It seems it sometimes does not work properly. While this is no deal in a FPS, this can be a game breaker in any kind of tactical game, like a stealth game.

I also don't understand the critics about the gameplay time. 10+ hours is a valid gameplay time for such a game. Many very good games I know were shorter for example the first Splinter Cell's, or Deus Ex 2). I prefer a short amount of good gameplay quality without lengths, that may even invite me to replay a game, instead of a blown up game length caused by uncreative and repetive missions or tasks, like in thoseopen world games which are so popular nowadays.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

So, I am about half way into the second mission. In general, I think this game has a little higher difficulty than Thief. Careful observation and planning is a must. I really like how oldschool this game plays. For example, no automatic snapping to rafters, railings and such like in Ass Creed etc., no you actually have to step a bit more carefully to make sure not to fall. So far, there are only two things I don't like. For one thing, you can't seem to run away from a fight because the game will lock you in a fighting stance with massively reduced movement speed. The only way to still get out of there is to turn invisible and if you don't have enough energy left to do so, bad luck for you. The other thing is the wonky controls when you want to climb down somewhere and hang on the ledge before dropping down to reduce noise and fall damage. You can hang on the ledge by approaching it very slowy (which takes a lot of time) and sometimes it just doesn't work, no matter how slow I do it.... :-/

STiFU, Wizd3m covered this in the first episode of his Styx let's play. You need to walk towards the edge (use the walk button).

I am playing with a controller on my couch and there is no walk key. You have to be careful how strong you push the analog stick. Aside from this controller issue, I believe there actually are some ledges that you can't hang on to.

By the way, you get insignia worth 20 skill points each in every mission that you can get by finishing a mission without alerts or kills or under some time limit. And from your hideout you have the option to replay previously visited missions and it is actually quite easy to do those insignia, once you know the map and don't need to go for the loot. :) This is a good way to unlock some mandatory skills early in the game. =) The first playthrough on mission two took me three hours. And now I just finished it in 20 Minutes without kills and K.O.'s. :D

It's a good game, however I do have some issues with it.

1. It always gives me a headache. The only game to do so.

2. The skill system doesn't seem to work. Only once was I able to access and learn skills, the first

time in the hideout, after that, I just can't access it. In a mission I can access it, but can't learn skills,

and in hideout, I can't access the menu. Anyone else having this issue?

However I really do like the old style thief game, it's just a shame it's a bit repetitive. I think they,

and later in the game (I'm now over half way thru it) loot and equipment are rare as hens teeth.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

No non-lethal knock-outs in this game?

Nope. Any why should a Goblin care? ;)

1. It always gives me a headache. The only game to do so.

You could try raising the brightness. If you always try to make out details in the dark it naturally exhausts your eyes.

2. The skill system doesn't seem to work. Only once was I able to access and learn skills, the first

time in the hideout, after that, I just can't access it. In a mission I can access it, but can't learn skills,

and in hideout, I can't access the menu. Anyone else having this issue?

You have to use the book in the hideout next to the place where you can replay missions and stack up on potions.

Nope. Any why should a Goblin care? ;)

'cause the ONLY other alternative to achieve the no-kill rewards is to avoid everyone :P

And I really don't like this mutual exclusion (kill vs avoid).

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

The distinction is between kill and knock out is pragmatically non-existent unless AI wake back up.

Only if the developers choose to make it so.

Thanks STIFU will check it out

My evaluation is a "good effort but not enough yet"

*no lockpicking mini-game mechanic

*no non-lethal takedowns (I hate to avoid *everyone* if I do a non-lethal run)

*no knives retrieving possibility (see brilliant Metro Redux)! Why?

*no readables! Why?

*interesting sections of the levels are out of reach (see airport/atrium), you really want to reach those taffin' points and you can't!

*.....maybe using chains/ropes.....oh my Garrett, they are not usable! Why?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.