The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Exhumed by Kyyrma and Airship Ballet (2014/11/04)

Airship Ballet

Poll: Exhumed  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Narrative

I found the

"super spooky secret' above the extinct fireplace, but the 2 coinstacks in the alcove are unfrobbable, while they appear to be part of the total loot(?).

Am I the only one having this minor glitch? I have TDM 2.02, of course... A brilliant little mission nevertheless!

Edited by csamba
  • Like 1

Short, but very enjoyable and quite scary.

I love how the tension is built. I was almost sure an undead is going to appear after I went to the catacombs. Instead, the geist started to give hints it doesn't care for stealing its stuff. Through the rest of the mission, I was kept on my toes, because I expected something to jump at me any second now. I remember being disappointed after I finally got back to the church main level... Wait, was that lamp here before? *flash*

I didn't find the shaking effect annoying - it added to the atmosphere. Given that the undead are the most frequent way of generating horror in the Dark Mod, the generic ones quickly became commonplace. Disorienting the player made calmly outmaneuvering the charging monster harder.

Given that the undead are the most frequent way of generating horror in the Dark Mod, the generic ones quickly became commonplace. Disorienting the player made calmly outmaneuvering the charging monster harder.

Exactly why I did it! I'm glad you were spooped.

Edited by Airship Ballet

• 2 weeks later...

I've missed the whole point of this mission seemingly , as try as I might the whereabouts of the blinking chalice has alluded me.Oh well , maybe getting too old now , time to hang up my thief gear at last.

I avoided the monster blocking the

stairs by using noise arrows. I did have the good sense ( for me anyway! ) to put out all the candles around that area before pinching the chalice. )

Unfortunately , I had to replay the ending twice as the vibration caused by the beast caused DM to freeze for some reason.

• Like 2

Should have said , enjoyed it after a bit of initial frustration ( my own stupidity to blame here! ) , thank you very much.

• Like 2

Congrats on the release Kyyrma and Airship Ballet. Sorry I'm so late in playing.

I actually finished it up on easy yesterday but came here to read up on it and got the feeling that I'd missed something (wasn't the loot as I got all that) at the end so played again on hardest setting today.

Both play throughs had that deserted eerie feeling but I didn't see anything different until the end. I first started by entering from the roof and working my way down so I had noticed the window and planned that for my exit.

On my first play of it I started creeping up the stairs when the ringing/vibration started and I just caught a glimpse of something at the top, creepy, so I snuck back down and checked the doors; they of course were locked. So decided to make a mad dash for the window and he was gone so I jumped. On my second go at it, I went to the doors and got a good scare when "it" appeared and I guess hacked me to pieces. No time to run. Tried a second time, but the vibration accomplished what you set out to do and made me feel like a jackrabbit on one of those caffine drinks, very disoriented from the bouncing and ended up going down stairs and hacked to pieces. Third time - Reloaded, avoided doors and ran for the stairs and out the window, with no idea where "it" was.

Did he randomly appear at different spots or did it have to do with the difficulty? The one con I had was the vibration was too much for me - almost wanted to just stop there and not finish but I can't do that.

Thanks for all your hard work and I look forward to more from you both.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!

The creature has two spots where it can appear, either upstairs or down by the main doors, depending on where you head once you have the chalice. The upstairs spawn is slightly bugged however: the creature is supposed to make a mad dash down the stairs, but most of the time he instead decides to walk into the bell tower and wait there. This is why some players who escape through the window never actually see him!

I agree regarding the amount of vibration. I'm also thinking the screen shake must be more disorienting on lower resolutions, so only testing it on 1920X1080 was a bad idea in hindsight. I believe we were the first to use the effect this way, so hopefully future mappers willl learn from our attempt ;)

Thanks a lot for a great mission guys, really enjoyed it. Yeah, I admit the shakycam annoyed me, but I can still appreciate the effect. My one thought while playing was that it might have been more effective to only get the shaking when you had line of sight on the creature. It seemed a bit silly to get it when you were walking around outside the building and the thing wasn't even in view. But I applaud the creativity and the attempt to do something unique.

One question - maybe I forgot using it, but what was the purpose of the Old Key?

• Like 1

I recently found TDM, and this is among the missions I got to play so far. I can't say it had a great appearance or story, and it was kinda short. But it did a good job at being scary, so thumbs up at that :D

When I exited the crypt after grabbing the skull, and saw the guard dead and the blue flame lit, I was mildly crept out. When I returned from the secret passage and saw the guard sacrificed on the table, even more so. But when that noisy earthquake started and I saw the guy in the black hood turned into a skeleton with a dinosaur skull, oh dear lord!

Edited by MirceaKitsune

what was the purpose of the Old Key?
I think the old key is the one you use to open the door upstairs that leads into the bell tower.

oh dear lord!
Good enough for me! I'm actually pretty sure he's called Deer Lord in the editor, too. I've got mad jokes.

• 3 weeks later...

Nicely done.

Played this with the pre-release of 2.03 and the only issue I found--apart from some z-fighting--was:

a guard getting temporarily stuck on a light sconce in the stairway from the first floor to the second.

Monsterclip monsterclip monsterclip!

And was the following intentional?

I was charged with causing 32,000+ in damage at the end. I didn't kill anyone directly, but was blamed for 4 kills at the end.

I don't think I should have been blamed for all that. I assume the skull-headed guy at the end was responsible for the carnage.

Monsterclip monsterclip monsterclip!

My fault!

I didn't kill anyone directly, but was blamed for 4 kills at the end.

I'm not sure if that's actually how he did it, but my guess is that when Kyyrma had everyone die when you pick up the chalice, the game blames the player for it.

Edited by Airship Ballet

I'm not sure if that's actually how he did it, but my guess is that when Kyyrma had everyone die when you pick up the chalice, the game blames the player for it.

I noticed this problem too: When a mission script kills an AI, the player is blamed for the damage, and it's listed in the mission statics screen. Maybe there's a way to kill NPC's without registering it as the player dealing damage?

Yes, you can have the AI be the one to trigger the entity that kills the other AI, then the game assumes they're the source of the damage. That's how I handled the AI with burning crowns dying in Requiem.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Yes, you can have the AI be the one to trigger the entity that kills the other AI, then the game assumes they're the source of the damage. That's how I handled the AI with burning crowns dying in Requiem.

Aha... I now remember that taking those crowns off didn't add damage in the mission statics screen at the end. Good to know for when I'll start mission making, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...