The Dark Mod Forums

Sample Scene - Concept

Darkness_Falls

Thanks! Some of the perspectives are off, and some things don't appear as I'd like them to, but that was mainly a result of using a mouse to draw it, rather than a Wacom tablet. It's sometimes hard to make a mouse follow the lines you need it to (e.g., the marble stands). :blink:

The paintings used brings up a good point. Are old paintings (e.g., from the 1700s, 1800s) 'public domain'? That is, can we get copies of famous paintings from the internet and put them in DarkMod?

I wouldn't add famous paintings into the mod. I think this would have a negative affect for the atmosphere. IMO the best thing would be to edit the paintings a bit - maybe add thiefy elements.

example - a builder priest I did some days before:

portrait1.jpg

original picture

028.jpg

Edited by BlackThief

Ooh, that'd be cool if we could do that! Is that legal? Good job on the photoshopping ;)

EDIT: I was suggesting adding famous paintings because it seems like that's what they did in T2. (Not necessarily "famous," but at least pre-existing artwork that was well done and seemed classical.) The artwork on the walls in T3 seemed boring to me in comparison to T2's and I was just hoping to spice the DarkMod up a bit by using old artwork somehow. If we could simply tweak originals, that'd be awesome.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

I also have some original artwork that I will provide the team for use in paintings. Mostly landscapes and that kind of thing, as well as some portraits.

Is that legal?

I'm no lawyer, but I can't image, that anybody has the copyright of old paintings. most of the artists are dead for hundrets of years...and as long as we don't claim the paintings as our own, no one will care. that's at least what I think.

I totaly agree with you - the artwork of thief 3 is awefull. All paintings look similar and have a really bad resolution...

You'd be surprised. I believe I've heard of 150-year copyrights on some things...

Can't you take the T1/T2 paintings as a concept? Also Painkiller has some medevial themes in some leves (I remember the second level has a lot of saints in one room). I can make some screenshots of them if you want them as concepts.

I always considered the T1/T2 paintings as very atmospheric and fitting for a medivial theme (but I'm no artist of course).

The T3 paintings totally sucked.

Gerhard

I'm sure we could use just about anything for a 'concept,' but I think the question is ultimately, 'How much truly original artwork do we need to create for DarkMod paintings?' I, personally, don't have the time to make 10 pieces of artwork from scratch that are comparable to Rembrandt paintings for DarkMod. :P

On the other hand -- if we're able to take Thief 1/2 paintings, or original paintings from 100+ years ago, and then tweak them... then that'd be a lot easier for us. Or, if some paintings are perfect for our use, as is, then are we able to use them?

Is anyone here a lawyer? LOL

Edited by Darkness_Falls

I agree that some of our artwork could and should be used (you have some nice pics there). But I'd mostly like to have a bunch of tweaked masterpieces, if we're legally able to do that. We could easily make some pretty trippy, ominous and foreboding stuff like what was used in T2.

There shouldn't be any legal problems with using old paintings. Copywrites only cover works that are less than 75 years old (though Disney might change that), after that it becomes public domain.

And I think Blackthief's photochop job would be a good template for a Hammerite Priest.

Edited by Renzatic

• 2 weeks later...