The Dark Mod Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kyyrma

SFX Add-on for mappers / SFX requests

A lot of those sounds are unique and good enough to be added to the core mod, and are the file/s spot on also.

Are all the sounds CC compatible..? as there are no credits in the shader def.

I tried to make sure all the material used is CC0, so no credit necessary, but I will do a double check in case you want to add this to the core.

I noticed OrbWeaver talking about the weak water stepping sounds, so I decided to try something out. Give these a listen:

movement_water_01.ogg

movement_water_02.ogg

movement_water_03.ogg

movement_water_04.ogg

I tried to eliminate the sharp splashes and make it more of a wading sound. I'm not entirely satisfied with the result though.

Edited by kyyrma

I was thinking of the very shallow water (e.g. for puddles), which do indeed need to be made much lighter and shorter (IMO). However, Kyyrma's ones might be an improvement for the wading sounds that occur in slightly deeper water.

Getting there, although to my ears those are perhaps slightly too tinny. They remind me more of spitting out the mouthwash at the dentist's than walking through a puddle.

Here are some test recordings I made in my bathroom. Unfortunately there is way too much background noise to make these usable, but these are in my opinion close to what we should be looking for.

Getting there, although to my ears those are perhaps slightly too tinny. They remind me more of spitting out the mouthwash at the dentist's than walking through a puddle.

Here are some test recordings I made in my bathroom. Unfortunately there is way too much background noise to make these usable, but these are in my opinion close to what we should be looking for.

They are quite close to the ones I posted above, but I do see what you mean... I'll keep on working on this.

Anyone fancy making some wooden ladder climbing sounds? I've been struggling all day to come up with something half-decent and I don't like anything I've come up with.

I remember watching those behind-the-scenes videos and being amazed at the lengths foley artists go to for sounds to sound right ... and they usually don't have much to do with the original thing.

Edit: Heh, should have noticed I'm responding to a month-and-a-half old post.

I think its hilarious how hes still going on about Japan. Im sorry, is this 1988?

Who he?

You are vague.

Do you still need these leaf foot steps sounds...?

Here are some very rough ones I did outside on the few leaves I could find. The qaulity isn't perfect as I had to apply a noise filter in Audacity.

- https://soundcloud.com/b1k3rdude/leaves-on-stone

- https://soundcloud.com/b1k3rdude/leaves-sparce

If either one is ok, I can slice them up for you etc.

I think the biggest problem with the current ones is that the sounds are too long...they keep playing for a second after you've stopped walking.

ive looked all the foliag foot sounds and they are all roughly 0.5s long, so if the sounds are play beyond the the actual foot step then its a engine issue.

@Gman/Steve, where do we check when the sound is being played as the player places a foot on the ground..?

ive looked all the falling foot sounds and they are all roughly 0.5s long, so if the sounds are played beyond the the actual foot step then its a engine issue.

@Gman/Steve, where do we check when the sound is being played as the player places a foot on the ground..?

Sorry, I just stumbled across this question now ...

It's handled in the source code for the player: void idPlayer::PlayFootStepSound().