The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.0.2 pre-release test

Here's the next pre-release build for inclined mappers to test.

Installer x64

Portable x64 7-Zip

Installer x86

Portable x86 7-Zip

Changes since 2.0.1 can be seen on the Bugtracker, important stuff includes:

- Prefab Browser supports non-FM paths now.

- Fixed combo boxes not accepting typed text

- Sped up Entity List

- Rewrote Mouse handling code for Camera and XY Views

- Fixed realtime preview becoming unresponsive

- Fixed: Many treeviews are not sorting alphabetically

- Fixed: Drag-manipulated func_statics can go off-screen with only origin left for drawing

- Fixed: Arrow key events in Preference Dialog get propagated to the main window

- Fixed: Application getting out of focus when closing inspectors

- Fixed: laggy movement in xy views

- Fixed: Preference dialog tree on the left appears shrunk and unresizable

- Toggle freemove option is back

- Fix Particle Editor crash when cloning particles

- New option to control chase mouse speed in XY view

- Fix Texture Tool going all grey

- Fix manipulation weirdness for rotated lights.

- Fixed items snapping back into their starting position when manipulating them.

Thank you as always for testing!

Edited by greebo

Well using 2.02 now and -

Feedback -

• the first thing I noticed was how much smoother it is, even on a very large map with 7500 entites in-view its almost butter smooth.
  • Hitting J to get the entity list up is now pure joy, its instantaneus - greebo how on earth did you manage that?
  • All the child-dialogue windows now disapear at roughly the same time the main window does, nice.

Bugs -

• If you click on a light, then press L to get the Lighty inspector, then clock on the colour button, then click on the cancel button in the colour inspector, then click on the red X button on the light inspector - you get taken back to the desktop not the main DR window.
  • If the user clock on the tick box on one of the layers to select or deselect the layer, its dosent always work. What I found is if I click very slowly it was fine, but click at normal speed and then I started having the issue.
  • Using the new custome paths feature for prefabs is really slow, when I selected the D:\ drive is had to scan the whole drive when it only need to look in the root of that drive/folder.
  • After first install, the user still has to shutdown and re-start DR for the camera prefs to show up correctly - not a big deal but a minor bug non the less.
  • After first install, the user still has to shutdown and re-start DR for DR to remember the position of the child windows - not a big deal but a minor bug non the less. (Greebo would you like to create a tacks for these two..?)

Request -

• As not all lights have the " _colour " arg in entity inspector, is there anywhere or anyway to place the hex name for the colour of the light in the Light inspector (as you said you cant place it on the colour inspector)..?

Thats all for now, will update this as I go.

If you click on a light, then press L to get the Lighty inspector, then clock on the colour button, then click on the cancel button in the colour inspector, then click on the red X button on the light inspector - you get taken back to the desktop not the main DR window.

Could finally repro that, I installed a workaround.

If the user clock on the tick box on one of the layers to select or deselect the layer, its dosent always work. What I found is if I click very slowly it was fine, but click at normal speed and then I started having the issue.

Can you elaborate, or maybe record a video?

Using the new custome paths feature for prefabs is really slow, when I selected the D:\ drive is had to scan the whole drive when it only need to look in the root of that drive/folder.

Well, this is by design, it should scan the selected tree - my advice is not to select the root folder. ;)

After first install, the user still has to shutdown and re-start DR for the camera prefs to show up correctly - not a big deal but a minor bug non the less.

After first install, the user still has to shutdown and re-start DR for DR to remember the position of the child windows - not a big deal but a minor bug non the less. (Greebo would you like to create a tacks for these two..?)

What exactly is "first install"? Is this with the preferences cleared, or just the first startup of a new pre-release? Video?

As not all lights have the " _colour " arg in entity inspector, is there anywhere or anyway to place the hex name for the colour of the light in the Light inspector (as you said you cant place it on the colour inspector)..?

Yes, I added such a control.

@Greebo, her yer go -

Thanks!

I see what the Camera prefs are doing, but I can't get it to behave this way on my end. I cleared the AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant folder and restarted DR, but the pref dialog is always correctly laid out. Maybe this is something Windows 7-specific? I'm on Windows 8.1 here.

The Layers clicking issue I don't get here neither. If you're saying that mouse clicks might be delivered delayed to the application, this could also be caused by the mouse software, who knows.

Well, this is by design, it should scan the selected tree - my advice is not to select the root folder. ;)

How so? because selecting the D drive under DR 181 didnt result in any delay. Also in DR 181 I was able to add and remeber multiple paths, and I used this feature a lot aswell - see attached.

• I have the main prefab folder, the one in my downloads folder, the one in the mission folder im working on and finally I temp save to the drive when Im trouble shooting.
  • I also like the ability to have the paths in one window with the selected path adjacent.
  • Also is there anyway to force the prefab inspector to always centralise the prefab in the viewer, make it front and center.
  • Also maybe Stevel coulld knock-up a script that would change the origins of all the prefabs in a folder to 0,0,0 as currently ones that are offset don't appear in the veiwer.
  • And lastly this is a bit trivial. but is there any chance we could have the 181 prefab list icon, or something in a pastel colour rather than that deep dark green..?

post-496-0-96885300-1418238946_thumb.jpg

Also found some more bugs -

• If one has the animation turned on and then tries to look around in camera view, DR gets very very laggy.
  • if you have preferences window selected and then one of the settings selected, I used to be able to scroll up and down that list with the cursor keys.
  • On the create entity window/inspector, the add & cancel buttons have been swapped, can you swap-em back please.
  • Under the prefabs inspector, the list needs to be sorted alpha numerically atm it isnt.
  • Under the entity inspector, the list needs to be sorted alpha numerically atm it isnt,
  • Scrolling in a lot of inspector window lists is a tad too fast, how do we slow it down..?
  • And the not being able to scroll in orthoview while holding a model/object/brush issue is back.
  • If you have the surface brush selected and then press escape to deselect, it dosent work. You then have to click on another brush before pressing escape works.

Edited by Bikerdude

Some more bugs:

• When you click on a speaker, and then its " s_shader " you have to search for the shader location each and every time. In 1.8.1 it would take to you to the shader
  • When drag a selection box around in orthoview, sometimes the selection box stays active despite letting go of both the shift key and the left mouse button.
  • When using the Texture Tool, sometimes the Texture Tool window disappears.
  • If you have more than one texture select in Texture tool, and both textures are far apart then Texture tool becomes very laggy and slow.
  • When you have the vert of patch selected and the rotates the verts by 45 degrees and then press control-Z to undo the rotation, the verts become unselected.
  • Control-Z (undo) dosent have as many ude levels as it did in 1.81, and sometimes it dosent work at all.
  • The "snapping back to previous location" when you clone and move something, issue is still present

It's cool that you're testing DR extensively, biker, so thanks. I don't want to sound ungrateful here, but a few of the bug reports aren't very helpful to me - please focus on stuff that is actually broken in this pre-release, that would prevent 2.0.2 from going live. Things that would be nice-to-have are very unlikely to be fixed throughout this pre-release test, I just can't do that.

Regarding bug reports that are involving the words "sometimes" - you must understand that I need to be able to reproduce those things. I need to know what I can do to get that behaviour in a reasonable amount of time, but I just can't afford to prod DR with a stick until the same happens to me. It's not that I don't want it to be fixed or that I'm some lazy dork, I simply don't have the time (I mostly have 30 minutes slots, so imagine how much can be done in that timeframe). Please be more specific. What are the actual moves or clicks you're doing when it happens, is a map loaded or not, is this during a longer session, or does it happen right after a fresh start, and so on.

When you click on a speaker, and then its " s_shader " you have to search for the shader location each and every time. In 1.8.1 it would take to you to the shader

This is a useful hint, I'm going to fix that.

When drag a selection box around in orthoview, sometimes the selection box stays active despite letting go of both the shift key and the left mouse button.

Don't know what to do here. Is your mouse cursor leaving the orthoview before you release the buttons or keys? Try to observe your mouse, maybe there's a pattern that reproduces this behaviour.

If you have more than one texture select in Texture tool, and both textures are far apart then Texture tool becomes very laggy and slow.

I'm confused. The Texture Tool can't be used with one more than one texture selected, can it? What are you doing exactly?

When you have the vert of patch selected and the rotates the verts by 45 degrees and then press control-Z to undo the rotation, the verts become unselected.

I think Undo always deselects stuff, this has been standard I think.

Control-Z (undo) dosent have as many ude levels as it did in 1.81, and sometimes it dosent work at all.

I actually increased the number of remembered operations during the last few releases. So what is it you're trying to undo, maybe there was some script involved that flushed the undo stack?

The "snapping back to previous location" when you clone and move something, issue is still present

Can't remember discussing this one? What issue are we talking about here?

How so? because selecting the D drive under DR 181 didnt result in any delay. Also in DR 181 I was able to add and remeber multiple paths, and I used this feature a lot aswell
I have the main prefab folder, the one in my downloads folder, the one in the mission folder im working on and finally I temp save to the drive when Im trouble shooting.

I also like the ability to have the paths in one window with the selected path adjacent.

I get it I get it. I know that 1.8.1 was different - please do understand that I can't just make it the same as it was before, because the file preview is the one thing that wxWidgets doesn't support across platforms. It was actually a File Open dialog with a preview window attached, the same as in GIMP, I don't have this feature anymore. Re-writing that is possible but a lot of work. I'm doing my best to accomodate that loss, but the new one is different. Maybe we can hack it up that you can still use it without going through lot of pains, but I just can't bring the old one back.

Also is there anyway to force the prefab inspector to always centralise the prefab in the viewer, make it front and center.

No. It's up to the prefab author to make sure that the stuff that is exported is centered around the origin. DR can't know which parts should be moved, and it can't also know what part of the prefab is supposed to be the front or the side or its butt.

And lastly this is a bit trivial. but is there any change we can have the 181 prefab list icon, or something in a pastle colour rather than that deep dark green..?

What colour would you like to have?

If one has the animation turned on and then tries to look around in camera view, DR gets very very laggy.

Well, the live preview is taxing, it's trying to refresh the view very often. Is it considerably slower than it used to be?

if you have preferences window selected and then one of the settings selected, I used to be able to scroll up and down that list with the cursor keys.

The list on the left or the one on the right?

On the create entity window/inspector, the add & cancel buttons have been swapped, can you swap-em back please.

Yes, I can do that, I hope.

Under the prefabs inspector, the list needs to be sorted alpha numerically atm it isnt.

Ok

Under the entity inspector, the list needs to be sorted alpha numerically atm it isnt

Is this always desired? I always thought that having the name and the classname rather on the top of the list is useful. For AI having a sorted list would surely shift the name out of the view when you select the entity. But one can always click on the column header to sort the list, can't they?

Scrolling in a lot of inspector window lists is a tad too fast, how do we slow it down..?

Which inspector window are we talking about?

And the not being able to scroll in orthoview while holding a model/object/brush issue is back.

What are you trying to do exactly?

If you have the surface brush selected and then press escape to deselect, it dosent work. You then have to click on another brush before pressing escape works.

I need more specifics. What is a surface brush? Are you in face selection mode or not? What are the steps you're doing?

1. I don't want to sound ungrateful here, but a few of the bug reports aren't very helpful to me - please focus on stuff that is actually broken in this pre-release, that would prevent 2.0.2 from going live.
  2. Things that would be nice-to-have are very unlikely to be fixed throughout this pre-release test.
  3. Regarding bug reports that are involving the words "sometimes" , please be more specific. What are the actual moves or clicks you're doing when it happens, is a map loaded or not, is this during a longer session, or does it happen right after a fresh start, and so on.
  4. Don't know what to do here. Is your mouse cursor leaving the orthoview before you release the buttons or keys?
  5. I'm confused. The Texture Tool can't be used with one more than one texture selected, can it? What are you doing exactly?
  6. I think Undo always deselects stuff, this has been standard I think.
  7. I actually increased the number of remembered operations during the last few releases. So what is it you're trying to undo, maybe there was some script involved that flushed the undo stack?
  8. Can't remember discussing this one? What issue are we talking about here?
  9. Maybe we can hack it up that you can still use it without going through lot of pains, but I just can't bring the old one back.
  10. No. It's up to the prefab author to make sure that the stuff that is exported is centered around the origin. DR can't know which parts should be moved, and it can't also know what part of the prefab is supposed to be the front or the side or its butt.
  11. What colour would you like to have?

1. Apologies, I know your time is limited I've just been trying to log them as I find them etc. But point taken, will keep as much as possible to show-stopping bugs and the like.
  2. Understood, will log tracker requests for these instead etc.
  3. Will record videos for these types of bugs.
  4. The selection box is supposed to disappear when the mouse button is released - will make a video.
  5. It's more a case of the TT is behaving oddly - will make a video.
  6. Hmm, I could have sworn this didn't happen in 181, will check, but for now treat this as a request not a bug.
  7. Will test this further, possibly make a video.
  8. This is a more a long term issue with DR, so this could be treated as a request - I will make a video.
  9. Ah thanks Greebo that is very much appreciated.
  10. Fair enough, I'll ask Steve if he thinks a small script can be run on a folder fulkl of prefabs and center their origins etc.
  11. In 181 is was just a plain white sheet if paper type icon, so anything thats just light in colour - thanks for looking at this :-)

1. Well, the live preview is taxing, Is it considerably slower than it used to be?
  2. The list on the left or the one on the right?
  3. Yes, I can do that, I hope.
  4. Ok
  5. Is this always desired? I always thought that having the name and the classname rather on the top of the list is useful. For AI having a sorted list would surely shift the name out of the view when you select the entity. But one can always click on the column header to sort the list, can't they?
  6. Which inspector window are we talking about?
  7. What are you trying to do exactly?
  8. I need more specifics. What is a surface brush? Are you in face selection mode or not? What are the steps you're doing?

1. yes massively, I will check a large/small map in 181 and 202 to compare though.
  2. This can be treated a request as how often do we need to go into the prefs window etc. And it was the left hand side of the prefs window.
  3. sweet, the amount of time I kept hitting canel instead of add - muscle memory from 181 I imagine :-)
  4. ta.
  5. I would have thought yes, and it was in 181 so mappers will have gotten used to an alphabetically sorted list.
  6. Model inspector, Entity inspector, Prefab inspector - basiclly any windows that has a list of items and a scroll bar that you can scroll up and down in is moving a lot faster than it did in 181. Half its current speed would be better, as its way to fast atm. This is can be treated as a feature request though.
  7. When I have objection, brush, patch slectected in orthoview and I want to drag it and scroll the ortho window at the same time. I will make a video
  8. I will make a video.

Ok, thanks for going through recording again, I learned a couple of things. (You can delete the older videos, no problem.)

I could fix the following:

- Treeview sorting: this is fixed now, I had a problem in the TreeModel code that affected the sorting of all those "Create BLA..." dialogs. At first I thought you were referring to the Entity Inspector (the one with the spawnargs). Anyway, it's fixed.

- The buttons in the Create Entity dialog are swapped now

- The func_static drawing problem (where only the origin was drawn and the patches were missing) is fixed now, let's hope without regressions

- The navigation in the Preferences dialog using the arrow keys is working now again.

As for other issues:

Re: scrolling speed. On my system this is not nearly as fast as on yours, so there must be something else interfering. Usually the scrolling speed is set by the operating system or mouse software (I use the default settings for my mouse). If DR is the only application with wrong scrolling speed, I need to check whether wxWidgets provides a way to override it.

Re: the drag-to-border-to-shift-view sensitivity. I'm currently rewriting the whole mouse tool stuff in a separate branch, I'll see if I can adjust anything when I get to that topic. It's probably possible to define a larger border sensitivity, such that the view starts to scroll earlier. Generally, if the mouse sensitivity is set to high values, DarkRadiant might not receive the entire mouse cursor path, but sees the cursor doing "jumps", so it can't capture all points reliably. This is something I can't influence, it's a mouse driver thing.

Re: animation: the live preview will attempt to redraw the view at 60 FPS, if the map is very large, it's very well possible that DR can't finish drawing the frame and you get very little chance to send actual navigation to the camera view. It's a concurrence of the fluid framerate and the input (DarkRadiant is not really designed as a game engine, where things like these get more attention).

1. - Treeview sorting: this is fixed now, I had a problem in the TreeModel code that affected the sorting of all those "Create BLA..." dialogs. At first I thought you were referring to the Entity Inspector (the one with the spawnargs). Anyway, it's fixed.
  2. - The buttons in the Create Entity dialog are swapped now
  3. - The func_static drawing problem (where only the origin was drawn and the patches were missing) is fixed now, let's hope without regressions
  4. - The navigation in the Preferences dialog using the arrow keys is working now again.

As for other issues:

1. Re: scrolling speed. If DR is the only application with wrong scrolling speed, I need to check whether wxWidgets provides a way to override it.
  2. Re: the drag-to-border-to-shift-view sensitivity, I'll see if I can adjust anything when I get to that topic
  3. Re: animation: the live preview will attempt to redraw the view at 60 FPS,

1. Grand, this is a annoying.
  2. Ta.
  3. Ta.
  4. ta.

As for other issues:

1. Yeah I only get this in DR, and its pronounced compared to 1.8.1
  2. Ta.
  3. I can get used this not working, but as a suggestion how about halving or qurtering the animation rate..?

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new pre-release build up for testing, see the first post.

The build contains the work of the last few months, rewriting the mouse handling system for the 3D and XY views. The mouse-drag-view-scrolling stuff should be working better now. It's also possible with this build to re-assign the mouse button assignments through "Edit > Mouse Bindings...".

The 3D becoming irresponsive when realtime render mode is switched on should also be fixed now.