The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.0.2 pre-release test

@Motorsep, for example clone and move a light source and a model, then try and drag it to another location. What Sotha and I are experiencing is the selected items constatnly snapping back to the original location.

What you are not saying is that you are dragging selected light and while you have LMB pressed, you hit Space to duplicate. That's the only way I get this issue. May I ask why would you even do that? Why not drag light / model into position, release LMB, duplicate, drag to another position, release LMB, duplicate, rinse / repeat.

I can confirm that it's not just happening when interrupting the LMB drag operation with something else (like RMB for context menu or space for cloning). After some trying, I was able to get the snap-back behaviour here too. It's not happening all the time, but it's definitely happening while I have the LMB still pressed without doing anything else apart from moving the cursor. If I just continue to move the mouse I can get it to behave and the object is where I want it to be. It's difficult to get the timing right, but if I stop the mouse at the right moment, the object will stay at its original position - on top of that, the console shows that there is no dragTool operation registered even though there was one. Very strange.

I can't use regular debugging for this kind of issue, I probably have to rely on extensive logging to see whether there are concurrent events going on.

I can reproduce the behavior 100%, spot on. There are 2 ways to replicate it.

#1: Open DR, right-click, create light. Select light (Shift + LMB), drag it across the screen and while dragging press Space to duplicate. Either duplicate or original will immediately snap into original position.

#2: Open DR, right-click, create light. Select light (Shift + LMB), drag it across the screen and while dragging press RMB, so that context menu shows up. Left-click somewhere to get out of it and left-click and drag on the selected light. It will snap to previous position.

Now the fun fact - if you do #2, but instead of trying to drag light after you get out of right-click context menu you repeatedly click on the selected light with LMB, and then drag it - it will drag us usual, without snapping.

I got it to almost 100% reproducibility now, it's related to the mouse moving just before the LMB is clicked. When you point the mouse cursor to the object, let it rest, press LMB without movement, then the manipulation will not snap back. If you do it in a hurry, i.e. move the mouse and quickly grab the object while the cursor is moving over it, then it will almost 100% of the time snap back as soon as the cursor will come to rest.

I have to investigate why this happens, maybe there are some events racing against each other, or maybe the pivot2manip matrix is corrupted or whatever.

I found and reported many major problems in GIT master during the last days, some making DR nearly unusable on Linux. I'm not sure which are specific to the 2.0.2 pre-release, but I'll mention the relevant threads if anyone can please take a closer look:

Distant geometry renders in front of closer geometry

Incorrect VIS portal format in mapname.proc

"Wrong type" error window spam in certain menus

Yeah, that's what I did. Although I don't do that when working on something :)

Btw, I had a bug in pre6 last night where creating a model dialog shows my md5 model properly, but creating entity dialog doesn't show model at all (the entity I was placing was very basic func_animate with the same animated md5 model that shows fine in model creation dialog). Is it a known bug ?

Sure thing, after I get out of work.

Ok, thanks. If it's been applying to previous releases too, I'm not going to fix it immediately anyway, since I'm focusing on getting 2.0.2 ready for release.

Any other new feedback on pre6? If nothing serious is reported, I'll call it a day and release 2.0.2 by the weekend, then I can concentrate on the undo system changes in 2.0.3.

Found another minor bug (missing feature)

• When you have an entity selected and then select browse the entity inspector, and then click on show inherited properties. In 181 I am able to type the name of the arg I want, for example ' snd ' so I get get down to the first snd args. When I type anything in 2.02pre6 nothing happens.

post-496-0-49810000-1420900830_thumb.jpg

• also shader/model/entity selection still isn't directly highlighting the selecting item eg.
    • select a sound shader on an entity in entity inspector and then press ' select sound '
    • I then have to scroll down to the selected sound, where as in 181 it would take me directly to the selected/highlighted sound.

post-496-0-16956800-1420901135_thumb.jpg

Found another bug and this one is major as its causing BSOD's, I couldnt quite beleive it was DR. The report from Microsoft WinDbg is below. I should also point out this has happened on previous version of DR 2.x.x but I never thought it was DR, I thought it was either a dodgy driver or faulty ram. But as this was the third time and I made a point of doing some proper fault finding.

Well as you suspected Greebo it wasnt DR as I just had another BSOD and I got a different debug result.