The Dark Mod Forums

Stone jump land inconsistency

OrbWeaver

I noticed recently that the jump land sound on stone sounds totally different from the normal walking footsteps. I thought perhaps I had forgotten to update the jump sounds when uploading the new stone footsteps in 2010, but it seems these were changed much more recently:

r13533 | springheel | 2013-07-05 20:00:18 +0100 (Fri, 05 Jul 2013) | 1 line
   M /trunk/sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/stone_jump_land01.ogg
   M /trunk/sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/stone_jump_land02.ogg

some changes based on serioustoni's modifications to AI footstep sounds

I'm not saying the jump land sounds I uploaded were perfect — they were just double-tapped and louder versions of the walking footsteps — and there is nothing particularly wrong with the current sounds from (I presume) SeriousToni, but to me the inconsistency is very jarring. It sounds like you're wearing totally different footwear when jumping than when walking, or as if the jump sounds are missing and the game is falling back to the marine's boots from stock Doom 3.

• Like 1

I noticed recently that the jump land sound on stone sounds totally different from the normal walking footsteps. I thought perhaps I had forgotten to update the jump sounds when uploading the new stone footsteps in 2010, but it seems these were changed much more recently:

r13533 | springheel | 2013-07-05 20:00:18 +0100 (Fri, 05 Jul 2013) | 1 line
   M /trunk/sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/stone_jump_land01.ogg
   M /trunk/sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/stone_jump_land02.ogg

some changes based on serioustoni's modifications to AI footstep sounds

I'm not saying the jump land sounds I uploaded were perfect — they were just double-tapped and louder versions of the walking footsteps — and there is nothing particularly wrong with the current sounds from (I presume) SeriousToni, but to me the inconsistency is very jarring. It sounds like you're wearing totally different footwear when jumping than when walking, or as if the jump sounds are missing and the game is falling back to the marine's boots from stock Doom 3.

It will be changed in the future update?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

It will be changed in the future update?

That depends on whether the rest of the team agrees that a change should be made; it's not something I can just do by myself since for all I know everybody else is perfectly happy with the current situation. Hence the purpose of this thread, which is to establish if there are any other opinions on the matter.

So far I can see several possible resolutions:

1. The current setup is fine (in which case I'll shut up about it).
  2. Consistency is important and the old sounds were preferable, or the change was made in error (perhaps only intended to affect AI footsteps), and we should simply revert to the 2010 sounds.
  3. Consistency is preferable, but the 2010 jump sounds are not usable without further work.
  4. Consistency is preferable, and we should switch all stone footsteps (walking, running, and creeping) to an alternative set which matches the current jump sounds.
  5. Some compromise approach which attempts to blend old and new jump sounds into an improved version which is more consistent (I guess this is just another approach to option 3 really).

It's never really bothered me before, but I can hear the discrepancy now.