The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Chase Mercantile by Airship Ballet (2015/02/04)

Airship Ballet

Nothing much, just some new guards on higher difficulties and a new briefing. If you start with the single mission you'll get a generous helping of gold to buy things with anyway. All I'm doing is building my campaign and giving people access to new missions as they're completed.

• Like 1

Looks very nice!

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Pretty good. Sneaking the basement on the new mission is rough, but at least you get plenty of water arrows to knock out some lights at key areas.

Probably not meant to be ghostable?

I didn't buy any removal of guards, so the vault reception required me to raise my stealth score by shooting a normal arrow to the wall near the armored guard in there in order to create a distraction to collect the gas arrows in order to deal with him.

Seems impossible also to deal with the front entrance and get the book without resorting to similar tactics.

The button in Chase's office to open up the statue compartment is also really small and hard to frob. It's also in a cabinet, not a desk as the hint says. I was checking the big desk and the other desk next to it for quite a while until I just checked the cabinet across the way and found it in a drawer.

One final thing is that yesterday? I checked the in-game downloader and it downloaded this mission set again as "Quinn Co."

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not ghostable if you also want to do everything optional. The way I see it, if there isn't any variation between the strategies required to get different optional objectives, it's just redundant fluff. I want people to have to resort to a bit more than the usual clubbing to achieve 100% completion as well, though nothing too divisive, which I guess I pulled off? ^_^

Cabinet, desk, I'd placed so many openable pieces of furniture that I ended up with reactive inhibition towards their real-world use. If you got there in the end, great! I don't think the button's too small, really, definitely not easily missable since I think it's the only frobable drawer in the room.

Edited by Airship Ballet

Loving the mission and I'm almost finished, I think (I've yet to get the Thanatos) - have disabled all the traps and managed to sneak into the vault where I can see a large ruby in a glass case (the Thanatos?) and some gems on the back wall - trouble is, I can't get them. Am I missing something, a secret switch or something?

Cheers,

AJ

Loving the mission and I'm almost finished, I think (I've yet to get the Thanatos) - have disabled all the traps and managed to sneak into the vault where I can see a large ruby in a glass case (the Thanatos?) and some gems on the back wall - trouble is, I can't get them. Am I missing something, a secret switch or something?

Cheers,

AJ

There's a switch on the Thanatos' display case that requires nothing, and a control box for the deposit box's cover on one of the pillars. You can always just smash the cover, though!

Thanks, Airship,

just goes to show that no matter that you think you've got everything covered, there's always one little thing that might trip you up - thanks again.

Hi ho, hi ho,

it's off to thieve I go,

some arrows will do and a lock-pick too,

hi-ho, hi-ho, hi-ho, hi-ho, hi-ho....

:-) Cheers,

AJ

• Like 1

Finished. Not a bad mission at all. The previous bank mission was good too.

The only thing I didn't get was

the button inside the drawer. It made no sense whatsoever. What on earth would it be connected to in order to work with the book shelf?!

. I had to come to this thread to find the damn thing since I figured out I was missing something essential. When I learned where it was, it simply made no sense. I know these games aren't real life, but realism wouldn't hurt in matters like this. Electricity, mechanics, technology. Come on now!

Show of hands, folks: How many of you figured out where it was on your own?

In every other sense, however, this shined. Liked it.

• Like 1

The only thing I didn't get was...

I actually go into a shit-ton of detail with regards to showing how things work. Wires, steam vents, sockets for things to fit into, just generally extra detail that rationalises things. I had to move the button in the drawer from one such set-up because then it really was too hard to find, whereas now it just takes a minute. I'm not sure what went wrong for you, but everybody else I've heard from has just opened and checked all the frobable drawers and found it with ease.

Edited by Airship Ballet

I actually go into a shit-ton of detail with regards to showing how things work. Wires, steam vents, sockets for things to fit into, just generally extra detail that rationalises things. I had to move the button in the drawer from one such set-up because then it really was too hard to find, whereas now it just takes a minute. I'm not sure what went wrong for you, but everybody else I've heard from has just opened and checked all the frobable drawers and found it with ease.

Well, if no one else had any problems with finding the button, then my thieving skills must be well and truly rusty.... Honestly, it never occurred to me to look

inside a moving drawer. I mean, in the real world logically drawers can be fully pulled out of cabinets and desks, so I just couldn't comprehend how the button could still work, if detached completely from the desk!

But, that said, Thief does work in a world of magic and steam tech creations, so why not this?

• Like 3

This is a great improvement over La Banque - I especially loved the office section, it was really the most visually striking part of this mission. It's also one of those missions that makes me feel incredibly bad for the person I'm stealing from. :(

Edited by Ryan101
  • Like 1

Show of hands, folks: How many of you figured out where it was on your own?

Upon examining the desk and opening that empty drawer, I thought it was a bit odd that it was empty, but I closed it and moved on to search the rest of the room. After I was done searching, I still couldn't figure out how to open the door to the little vault at the end of the room. I mean, it plainly looked like some sort of door, and the map indicated that there was a vault back there, so I knew I must've missed something. I searched the room again, looking for some sort of a switch that I must've missed. When I opened the empty drawer again I distinctly remember thinking about how Thi4f has tons of empty drawers with absolutely no loot. I thought, "no way a dark modder would throw in a random empty drawer on a desk without any other drawers", so that prompted me to lean around the open drawer from various angles.. and sure enough, there it was. Its placement was a tad unrealistic now that you mention it, but at the time I thought nothing of it.