The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Chase Mercantile by Airship Ballet (2015/02/04)

Airship Ballet

Two delightful missions, the second one is even more captivating. I happened to find the

psychotronic button in the drawer quite easily, but offering a drink to the statue was a pure trial-and-error...

However, I must have missed something obvious, because

neither the captain's basement switch nor the steam wheel on the back pipe seemed to work: the hot steam continued to leak (and hurt), and the electric plate inside the vault also remained red hot... ?

neither the captain's basement switch nor the steam wheel on the back pipe seemed to work: the hot steam continued to leak (and hurt), and the electric plate inside the vault also remained red hot... ?

They do different things, neither of which affect the steam ;)

Glad you liked 'em, more on the way!~

Any suggestion how to

turn off the red hot platform inside the vault? It's not the captain's switch...

Either by buying the key to turn it off via the box on your right just before you step on it or by smacking the pipe spewing steam in that basement

• 2 weeks later...

It all felt rather easy for me this one, except occasionally getting spotted moving into the hallway when someone switched the lights back on. Rather quick to get between the key areas, after doing an initial sweep, and the notes for hints are all in convenient areas near those key areas. The vault was pretty easy for me after knowing what to do with that pipe, although I didn't carry the bags around I figure there was an easier way if I spent the 4 gold for alternate drop point that I could have easily bought. Story and graphically its alright, certainly a bigger map than the ones I've played recently which is I think how TDM should be played. I liked the style of these missions, heists are definitely one of the better kinds of missions because you need to plan things ahead rather than just steal as go (although there is some of that to of course) and apart from novelty of assassination its what I would want out of a mission, I liked the size and more guards in slightly more difficult areas of this one better but it still felt a little to easy seeing as guards take quite long patrols (so minimal observing while doing a sweep, I go through it as fast as possible & seems to work fine) and you already have what you need to take on the 2 guards in the vault so its merely a matter of searching or buying the info to do the planning where to go first to minimize time in the hallways or going to rooms downstairs that serve no purpose apart from getting caught. I don't know how to make the mission harder given the layout, perhaps make taking out the guards not just a matter of gasing and knocking out the 2 down there, thanks for this, I certainly will play the next one if you decide to go further!

• Like 1

I certainly will play the next one if you decide to go further!

Cheers! They're getting harder as they go. By the end I'll probably be alienating others and endearing you. Some people found even the first mission too difficult, which proves there's no universal difficulty standard. All I can do is slowly crank it up and provide something for everyone ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did I just steal 34k loot? That has to be a record! Also, I've never come so close of getting it all.

This was a nice and well made mission.

I liked a lot of stuff. The location was interesting, and I liked the way the readables told the story. Patrols were fun. The assassination was a nice extra spice. The vault was cool: you really have a knack of making foreboding places. I was totally on my toes in the vault. Patrols were challenging but not overpowering. I liked that there was a lot of tools for easy difficulty.

The drawer button was a bit annoying as I repeatedly overlooked it. I simply refused to think the button would function in the drawer as there would be no mechanism to relay the secret door opening. Also I'm not a big fan of using the shop system the way you did. "Buying" objectives: it would be better to incorporate the objectives into the briefing and have them be optional. Why buy an equipment drop when you could buy the items so that you have them immediately from the start? Why buy a guard removal when it is much more fun to KO them yourself? Buying keys, maps and tips does make sense.

Altogether a really nice mission. An enjoyable 1.5h, time flied and I had a great time. Thank you for making this!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Why buy an equipment drop when you could buy the items so that you have them immediately from the start? Why buy a guard removal when it is much more fun to KO them yourself?

Dishonored DLC touch :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Thanks, Sotha. I'm glad you had a good time! The drawer button was originally built into the desk itself, but I wanted to make proper use of TDM's arsenal, so I attached it to the underside of the desk inside the drawer. It was impossible to see there, though, so I abandoned logic and attached it to the moving drawer instead. Now it's just really hard to see, and makes no sense, but it's something a little different compared to the billions of standard hidden button tricks in T1/2 missions. Since a large part of these missions is figuring out security mechanisms, I wanted people to have to think rather than checking the usual places until they found it. It threw people off, but it was the desired effect. When touching the two missions up upon the release of the third, I might come up with some different locations for it.

The equipment drops make no sense from a logical standpoint, but I threw that to the wind because I think it's fun having to work for your advantage. It contrives a way to make the player explore and go through a few challenges in order to gain the ability to douse every light on the map, or gas every elite on the premises. I wanted people to work for the advantage, rather than buying it with money they were gifted by the gods at map start. I came up with the idea of removing guards before I made the map, but it turned into a convenient way to include overpowered patrols without causing justifiable frustration. I can have these difficult elite patrols wandering the well-travelled areas of the map, or blocking important doors, and provide the player with ways to gas or outright remove them provided they choose wisely in the shop. Kinda like a lot of RPGs of yore, there are huge obstacles with easy ways to overcome them, provided you make the right choices. If you don't, you're in for a difficult time. Either way, it's both entertaining and rewarding, at least in my experience.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

really fun maps not to mention cool innovative concepts in both. The second mission pissed me off a bit because there was no wine glass on his desk and it's a bit linear. Also the rain audio while sounding really good, was so loud it was starting giving me a panic attack.

Edited by c0mputer-fr0d
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like a nice bank heist and this was two for the price of one. I found both missions to be satisfyingly challenging on "hard".

I like that you are not afraid to try new things. Having to pay the cleaner to fix your indiscretions was an interesting way to deter kills and knockouts without banning them outright. I appreciate having the option in case you come across a guard that just needs killing. Unfortunately this mechanic didn't seem to work in the second bank and I ended up causing quite a bit of mayhem before the night was over (3 kills and several knock-outs without penalty). This reduced the challenge a fair bit, although it was still satisfying in its own way.

There were enough clues scattered about the 2nd bank that I was able to locate all required items except for the Client List. I had to resort to the forums for that. Knowing where it was didn't help me much though - the guard(s) in that location seemed to have especially keen senses! That was the most challenging objective for me and very rewarding to complete.

There were just some minor bugs such as a couple places where my avatar got stuck after climbing on top of a desk or barrel, also the rain in the courtyard was extremely loud.

Thanks for the enjoyable missions, I look forward to the rest on the campaign.

Also thanks for the rope arrow

I don't think I could have gotten the necklace without it

• 4 weeks later...

Played and finished it yesterday. Overall it was good! I'm typically a fan of missions where at least part of the action takes place in urban areas, but still enjoyed this.

Pro: Achieves a lot of gameplay and action on relatively small maps. Quality mapping with good details. I especially enjoy the special items you can buy before the mission starts, which let you pay off guards or get extra objectives... very useful idea which other missions could try to use in various forms!

Con: Not much that I can think of. If anything, the story doesn't get too much accent put on it throughout the game, just a but in the intro before you buy your equipment. I understood you're a thief going after rich people and banks... which is good, but I think something more motivating could have been found.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing Quinn Co and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to

Find a way to soil the Manager's reputation. That's one of the objectives. I've found letters in her bedroom desk but I can't carry them.

I also need help with the

key that belongs to Morley. I'm supposed to put it in his desk drawer but I can't drop it in there. I've tried the Use key and the R to drop it,

Those are the only two objectives left and I can't finish till they're done

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

Check the thread for La Banque for the answer to the former. As for the latter, there's a drop button in the key bindings somewhere. I forget what it defaults to, is it R? It works for the key anyway, whatever it is.