The Dark Mod Forums

The Complete Vengeance for a Thief Campaign

Sir Taffsalot

The Complete Vengeance for a Thief Campaign  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Visuals

2. 2. Gameplay

3. 3. Story

I was anxious to play this, since it's not every day we get new missions.

Thus far, I only played the first, Angel's Tear. The very first scene, the courtyard with the trees and the lit-up statues, was pure awesomeness. The mansion... not so much. Don't get me wrong, the place is gorgeous, and I'm a sucker for a great mansion mission. But there were endless huge corridors with no map (I got lost a dozen times), only a couple of guards in the whole place, plus the two owners---and no servants...? Huh, kinda weird. Lots of empty rooms and places.

But the worst was the lack of loot. I mean, there's a whole criss-crossing treasure area---but only the glass boxes have stuff to loot? Why not the art? Why no statues? Why only three coins in the chapel? Man, I was really bummed out, 'cause when I ended the mission, I thought I'd missed a lot, but apparently there wasn't that much to steal to begin with! Disappointing. *sigh* I'm a thief, dammit, so why'd I rob a place with nothing in it?!

Sorry for the rant. It's immediate-upon-finishing-moaning, you know? The place was beautiful, the guards could easily be avoided, so not much gear was needed, and getting the keys was interesting. But would I rate this higher than, say, Penny Dreadful 2 or Heart of Lone Salvation or any of the Thomas Porter missions or the William Steele missions? No.

I did play the next two missions as separate ones when they came out. Don't recall much at all about them, so I'm looking forward to revisiting their updates.

So sorry to hear that the last four months of my own personal time that I did not get paid for but willingly invested into making a TDM FM cost you what? An hour at best of your own personal time? Was so "Disappointing".

But the worst was the lack of loot. I mean, there's a whole criss-crossing treasure area---but only the glass boxes have stuff to loot? Why not the art? Why no statues? Why only three coins in the chapel? Man, I was really bummed out, 'cause when I ended the mission, I thought I'd missed a lot, but apparently there wasn't that much to steal to begin with! Disappointing. *sigh* I'm a thief, dammit, so why'd I rob a place with nothing in it?!

There is loot in every room. You have to search for it. That's the point of been a thief. If there's loot everywhere what's the point?

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

So sorry to hear that the last four months of my own personal time that I did not get paid for but willingly invested into making a TDM FM cost you what? An hour at best of your own personal time? Was so "Disappointing".

There is loot in every room. You have to search for it. That's the point of been a thief. If there's loot everywhere what's the point?

I'm not sure how to respond to this. I wasn't trying to be mean or bitchy or to disparage your efforts, but simply to show how I personally experienced this mission. I didn't say it was bad, just that I felt it lacking in some respects.
But if you didn't want accurate, realistic or honest feedback, please revise your first post by stating only high praise is worthy of this thread and no other comments will be tolerated. Thank you kindly for ensuring I had such a wonderful gaming experience for which I was freely allowed to give my opinion on.
  • Like 4

Far harsher criticism has been offered to even larger projects than this both here and at TTLG.

Not that I would be happy to have so much work put down but that's the name of the game when you put your

art out in public.

If you find a criticism unfounded or subjective, challenge it with a question or counter it with information about your intentions.

Lashing out like this is surely a recipe to attract trolls to torment you.

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I personally know SirTaff and I know how much effort he has put into his missions and he still has a lot of learning to do as a mapper. I agree his reaction was a bit of an over-reaction, but conversly I can understand how a mapper would be a buit peaved when something they have spent a lot of time & work on gets either non or less than good feedback.

Regarding some of Summers feedback, while blunt was spot on. I did mention some of this to SirTaff at the time, but it was agreed it would require to much time and effort to redo parts of the mission/s. And regarding the loot I have to respectufully disagree, loot is not supposed to be easy to find. But conversly a balance has to be reached by the mapper in making loot hard to find and not making to player do marathon like distances to find it.

After SirTaff has taken a small break from mapping and askes for help and pointers from senior mappers (I am always available to help people) then Im confident his next map will be an improvement over previous endevours etc.

@Summer, a good example of considered feedback is Melan's replay.

I personally know SirTaff and I know how much effort he has put into his missions and he still has a lot of learning to do as a mapper. I agree his reaction was a bit of an over-reaction, but conversly I can understand how a mapper would be a buit peaved when something they have spent a lot of tme work on gets either non or less than good feedback.

Regarding some of Summers feedback, while blunt was spot on. I did mention some of this to SirTaff at the time, but it was agreed it would require to much time and effort at that point etc. And regarding the loot I have to respectufully disagree, loot is not supposed to be easy to find. But conversly a balance has to be reached by the mappy in making loit hard to find and not making to player do marathon like distances to find it.

After SirTaff has taken a small break from mapping and askes for help and pointers from senior mappers (I am always available to help people) then Im confident his next map will be an improvement over previous endevours etc.

@Summer, a good example of considered feedback is Melan's replay.

Fair enough. Thanks, Biker.
I never said the mission was bad. My personal experience was that the place was a bit empty, of people and of trinkets. That's highly subjective, as many thieves prefer to search high and low for that last bit of loot. As much I appreciate that side of thieving, I do like being able to steal more from a vast treasure exhibit than a two cups from a glass case. Again, subjective.
That said, as I mentioned before, the very first scene with the courtyard was a definite wow moment for me. Few missions start with that kind of wow. I took several pics during the mission, two of which--the opening courtyard and the inside hall with the statue in the center--I have as my current desktop pics. The interiors are spacious, the lighting sparse enough not to have to take each of them out with the few waterarrows I had, and the guards patrol at rather even spaces. I got a couple of surprises in the stairs when a guard suddenly decided to change floors, which was a nice twist and a shock for me since I had nowhere to go. I wonder if I'm the only thief who likes that kind of nasty surprise that leads me getting killed! :P
Like Melan, I got a stealth score of 3, lowest of mine ever. I'm a blackjacking kinda thief. And like you said, Biker, I too have no doubt Sir Taff will only continue to improve his craft. I'm sorry if my words make him give up on TDM completely.
  • Like 1

I never said the mission was bad. My personal experience was that the place was a bit empty, of people and of trinkets.

I agree, it did feel a bit sparse in terms of things to do (ie no eaves dropping, any decent hiding places besides crouching down on any side of a hallway, no desks/closets to search through) vs largeness of rooms, amount of NPC's and long hallways. Without a map to makes it feel a bit of a back and forth running about and backtrack fest atleast on the upper floor, personally feel it seems a tad pointless to design it in such a way that you spend more time walking than anything else fun. I'm a bit ambivalent about how much stealing there needs to be although I do think some of the rooms could use more decoration to justify their size (larger carpets and more statues would be nice). I'm fine with the cathedral and library as they are (although a bit to much light and I think the library could use more reading material, something more besides one book to justify its size), I'm speaking generally.

Gameplay 2/5, Aesthetics 2/5, Story 2/5, Sound 3/5.

VFAT2: Gameplay 2/5, Aesthetics 3/5, Story 2/5, Sound 3/5

VFAT3: Gameplay 2/5, Aesthetics 4/5, Story 3/5, Sound 3/5.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read this thread for a while, so I have only discovered this comment now.

Whatever. I don't have the time for TDM in my life anymore. I've got more important things to give a fuck about.

I really hope you will reconsider. Like all mappers, your work has strengths and weaknesses, and some people will find one side more important than the other. Nothing will appeal to everyone.

But the most important person you should listen to is yourself. Having a personal style and developing it as your time and enthusiasm allows is what this hobby is about. An audience is nice, but you should always follow your own interests first, and consider their suggestions and criticism second.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 6 months later...

I need help finding the evidence room in Part 2 of VFAT. I had to quit Part 1 because I was having trouble getting

the Tear from the picture

. Tried everything.

So I'm now playing Part 2, and I can't find the

Evidence Room so I can get my gear before leaving the jail

Can someone please help?

Edited by llanita

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not to necro this again, but I've noticed that the final release of this campaign still lists it erroneously as a single mission:

https://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=98

It should be listed as a campaign, to avoid confusion. Yes, it includes the separately released missions from before, and the new prequel mission as the first one, but all in all, it's technically organised as a campaign. Three missions in a single pack, the entire three-mission campaign. Even the synopsis clearly states it includes multiple missions.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

So guys, I need a little help too. I managed piecing these 2 fm's together somehow. Really a stroke of luck. There's a 3rd one?

In Angel's Tear (the 1st one).

I got the

Spoiler

Captain's key, Luciles key, but I can't find the room it unlocks. It's supposed to be part of the puzzle with the 3 keys right?

The 3rd one I don't get. I followed the lord from his office, to the library & back again to his office (that was a ways). No mention or hint on where that

Spoiler

secret room with the key

may be :(

Thought he'd lead the way to some place he'd check on. In his office he only goes up to the bust, turns around & continues on his walk, muttering things about me - the thief.  If only I could knock him out...

One more question. The tear. I've looked everywhere. Thought it would be in the

Spoiler

secret place

in the observatory. If I had that

Spoiler

lift

it would be down there somewhere ;) 

Edited by Acolytesix

On 10/9/2015 at 3:13 PM, llanita said:

I need help finding the evidence room in Part 2 of VFAT. I had to quit Part 1 because I was having trouble getting

Hide contents

the Tear from the picture

. Tried everything.

So I'm now playing Part 2, and I can't find the

Hide contents

Evidence Room so I can get my gear before leaving the jail

Can someone please help?

I wonder if I should do the same for now? Jump to 2. I mean I don't have a 3. Oh yeah, can download that later.

Nope, a few more minutes later & I finished 1. I'm at my house in mission 2 right now. Dinner break ;)

Just a curious question. It's been 6 years and a pandemic. Anyone ever put the whole campaign together into one big playable file / game?

While the whole wiki links are a mess, the list helped a lot with different time frames of my life. I could back track (12 years or so) to see which FM's I have missed over the years. Downloading them from that list is a no go. However, if you manually search for each and every one in the forums you will find the author & ask them for a new link to their FM. It's worked so far :) A lot of the author's links are also way out of date or on places that don't exist any more. Google drive seems to be getting more popular for downloading fm's it seems. More google accounts, since way back then ;) 

Edited by Acolytesix