The Dark Mod Forums

Serious Problem with Layers

As my WIP has become quite complex. I have been using the layers system to keep everything organized.

The wiki on Layers states the following:

• By clicking on the checkbox to the left of the layer name you can show/hide a layer respectively it's elements

However, clicking the checkbox does absolutely nothing. The only way to hide the elements pertaining to the layer is to press 'H' after clicking the layer name.

This becomes incredibly frustrating if I am working in another layer and want to quickly hide something there. As soon as I un-hide that selection, all the previously hidden layers become visible again.

My work-rate has literally crashed because of this constant back and forth.

FYI: I am using DR 2.02

Edited by Dunedain19

Shot in the dark is that everything is also part of the "Default" layer, or whatever layer has the star next to it when you begin to build. If you've been going around pressing "add to layer" then you've got a bunch of stuff on one layer and the Default layer, meaning that when you hide your own one, they're still visible because Default is visible. You need to either use the "move to layer" command or select everything and remove it from Default.

Are you changing the active layer before adding stuff to your map by CTRL+Clicking an active layer name?

Nope. I had no idea you had to do this. The wiki makes no mention of needing to switch active layers. Only when you hold the mouse over the layers tab does it mention the what functions Shift and Ctrl have.

I moved everything away from the Default layer, switched my 'active' layer to the room I'm working on - and that seems to have solved everything.

Thanks so much SteveL and AB.

(Looks like another wiki needs updating...)

• 5 months later...