The Dark Mod Forums

Recommendation: What 1st person game to buy

Bikerdude

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was so much potential in LA Noire. Completely wasted. Sorry for the harsh words, but, the driving physics are really bad compared to GTA, the investigations always play the same, the action sequences don't rock, the city seems lifeless compared. Each to its like, but for me, LA Noire wasn't a good game. Actually i'm surprised that the Metacritic rating is 83. Would have thought it would be more like 70.

It's supposed to be more of an adventure game. The city was impressive in my opinion since there were a couple of detailed locations that some missions don't even lead you into.

The driving was always somewhat weak not only in LA Noire but GTA games, especially early ones - how could you make GTA IV, take it with the realism side and not add manual transmission like Mafia? That would've been good.

The investigations seemed alright to me. I loved the fact that you could fail it and still go forward (although you'd still remain the best detective in LA apparently), but you're not punished with a restart! Life goes on! :D

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Atomic. TDM runs on a highly modified executable now. It doesn't use any of the old Doom 3 AI scripting, our AI were all moved into the code base. I would be very surprised if it did more than burp if you tried to make it run on the D3.exe.

OK, I consider that a challenge. Will report back!

EDIT: Goddamnit.

eZt6CND.jpg

li0Qd3n.jpg

Edited by Atomic

I can only recommend the Batman games. I played the first two parts and they were quite entertaining.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

LA noire for me was utter crap. Sorry for the harsh view but it took me about 3 weeks just to get the thing to run properly, Bugs like you would'nt believe. Other than that like Chakkman I think the car physics were appalling and the cities and towns were bland both in activity and design. Thats just my experience but I spent 80 bucks and with hind sight I shouldn't have spend a cent on it.

Some games I like and not all are first person shooters :

Dragon age origins and to a lesser degree awakening.

Mass effect 2.

The Bioshocks all of them.

American Mcgee's Alice.

Borderlands.

Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Stalker.

The witcher.

Vampire the masquerade bloodlines.

No one lives forever.

Hitman Absolution.

Saint Row IV and III.

Farcry 3 and 4.

Just Cause 2.

Xcom Enemy unknown.

Dead Island.

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning.

Pain Killer Collection.

Gothic 3.

Rage.

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

LA noire for me was utter crap. Sorry for the harsh view but it took me about 3 weeks just to get the thing to run properly, Bugs like you would'nt believe. Other than that like Chakkman I think the car physics were appalling and the cities and towns were bland both in activity and design. Thats just my experience but I spent 80 bucks and with hind sight I shouldn't have spend a cent on it.

To each his own!

To many it was a game that tried SOMETHING new.

Glad you liked The Witcher. Looks like it's going to be quite popular.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I'm beginning to think even that was too much -

• Awful gameplay -
    • can't jump or mantle over the simplest of objects
    • a lot of locations lock you into a fixed path
    • poor story delivery,
    • predictable Ai
    • crap audio shaders on the vehicles.
  • and so many bugs -
    • keeps wanting to install Directx at launch.
    • can't get the console to come up, despite trying various options.
    • texture streaming is so bad I can see the void through the squares. found a fix for that here
    • texture quality close up is bad, even with tweaks.

Certain parts of the game were enjoyable, sidequests and the pure racing games - but oh dear god the the ending was fucking abismall, rushed and anticlimatic in the worst possible way. The whole thing now feels like a multiplayer game with a single player story tacked on. Its like it was not produced by two of the biggest names in the industry... :mellow:

The whole thing now feels like a multiplayer game with a single player story tacked on.

Funny you mention that. RAGE has only one type of PvP multiplayer mode in which a maximum of 4 (yes, only four) players engage in vehicle combat, not even regular FPS combat. Given that iD games have traditionally been known as excellent multiplayer titles, this is rather disappointing. Even Doom 3 had a dedicated deathmatch mode!

I got bored with the game soon after I hit the second main town (forget what it's called, it has a mayor or something you need to keep pressing E to make him talk).

The driving parts took me some getting used to the response from the controls to the car on screen.

Hey Biker, if you can't find a game to play you can always use time to make more TDM missions for us to play. :ph34r:

Bikerdude, just visit there and choose the green ones :).

lol, that prove how overlooked SiN as been... it got no metacritic score...

If you don't care about Q2 era graphics you should definately look at SiN...

It feature great things that even today we don't see frequently...

- localised damage: ok, all games do that now, different skin when shot? it's less frequent, armor drops depending on what the ennemy wear and with durability on where you hit the ennemies? finding helmets in good shape is not so easy if you have good aims :) you can even make the ennemy drop their guns if you shoot them in the arms...

- computer to hack using some dos like environement

it was totally overlooked because it got out at same time than halflife and received bad review cause it was rushed once more for half life and was rather bugged before the first patch.

Hm, the driving parts in Rage shouldn't pose a big problem for those who regularly play GTA? Actually GTA (4) has the better driving physics though. The one from Rage are simpler compared. Still a lot of fun though IMO.

Edited by chakkman

I just had go get used to response from the controls and working the boost. Upgrades on weapons are nice but I never found anything more than the machine gun, rockets and those trap mine/eplosives.

RAGE was very undder appreciated at it's time because of the console focus an it alienating a lot of PC gamers. I'm diehard for id Games paarticularly DOOM and QUAKE I/II. Which I lost uncountable hours playing. One of my favorite things of QUAKE I was the environment an the grotesqe and strange monsters with no eyes but giant teeth, the Fiend having incedilbe jump skills and rqazor sharp claw. One of the most challenging were the Spawn enemy as they bounced all aroundn and to get a shot, and having to worry about explosion they burssted into being close quarters as it effected the players health. One of my fav things of id Games, very unforgiving. Well, at least up to RAGE.

I'm very wary of id Sotfware now that the studio is under complete control, along with all original members no longer contributing.

I'm currently playing In Verbis Virtus ("with the words of might" roughly translated). It's a first person adventure in which you have to solve puzzles by using magic spells. The difference is however, that you cast those spells by directly saying them, so you need a headset.

The system works quiet well and the spells are in a fictive language called Maha'ri (or so), which in addition to the nice graphics and sound design adds a lot to the athmosphere.

I'm not through yet, but it only costs 20 € (I got it for 15 € as it was 25 % off last week), so a big recommendation from my side.

RAGE was very under appreciated at it's time because of the console focus an it alienating a lot of PC gamers.

I agree to that but in my opinion it wasn't because of the console focus but because of the megatexture implementation. When I first played it on a dualcore it just didn't look good at all with textures popping in when you turned fast with the mouse. Later on a newer quad core it was one of the most impressive games I ever played! With more gameplay and characters and story than any other id game before as well ;)...

Edited by wesp5

I'm currently playing In Verbis Virtus ("with the words of might" roughly translated). It's a first person adventure in which you have to solve puzzles by using magic spells. The difference is however, that you cast those spells by directly saying them, so you need a headset.

Aw, i just hope not more and more games utilize the use of headsets now... in GTA V you can shout into the headset when doing a robbery so that the shop owner puts the money in the bag faster... as i don't want to appear as a complete psycho when playing computer games, i don't use it though... :laugh:

The difference is however, that you cast those spells by directly saying them, so you need a headset.

Hm, it seems you need to activate the voice recognition by pressing the mouse button, so they could easily have you select the spell with the mouse wheel and cast it with the mouse button. So inside this game it's rather a kind of gimmick! Under other circumstances, e.g. in a game where you were actively fighting with weapons and were busy with all fingers already occupied, something like this to cast a spell at the same time would make more sense!

Edited by wesp5

It is more about the atmosphere. It's a difference whether you select the spell from a menue and cast it using a button, or if you are talking in a strange and mystical language to get the result.

And yes, you have to hold down the mouse button while casting. However, this is only to make sure that you really want to cast a spell. I see no other way for the game to differentiate between spell-casting and mumbling/background noises (or talking during a Let's play for example).