The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Sir Talbot's Collateral by Baal & Bikerdude (15/04/2015)

Bikerdude

Thanks for taking the time to write this. It's very much appreciated.

I agree with all your points except for the optional knockout limit. I see it as a kind of explicit feedback on how sneaky you were. The premise justifies it; your goal is to impress and show of your skills.

I agree with all your points except for the optional knockout limit. I see it as a kind of explicit feedback on how sneaky you were. The premise justifies it; your goal is to impress and show of your skills.

Ok, as the context is to show off your skill in the break in, i do get the objective in this mission, specifically. Normally, i find it an artificial restriction, which prevents players from playing the way they wish to play.

• 5 weeks later...

As I recall, you just need to pair each reverb def name to the name of an info location entity. The eaxdemo map has some pretty good example reverb defs for common environments to go by.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Biker may have tried, but I never worked on or tested that.

By the way, how much work is it to add that feature?

• I think I made a start, by creating all the different zones for when EFX would be working and the map updated.

As I recall, you just need to pair each reverb def name to the name of an info location entity. The eaxdemo map has some pretty good example reverb defs for common environments to go by.

Yep, very simple. @nbohr, does the wiki have example room settings for the various types of rooms..?

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed the EFX reverb.

Just needed to combine all the efx defs into 1 kiss.efx file.

It should now appear as an update in the Downloads menu.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

We're going to release an updated version.

1. EFX

That was the main reason for the update but I just noticed that nbohr1more already added EFX (thanks by the way). Has anyone tested these? Are the audio settings ok as they are or do they need tweaking?

2. Briefing video

I asked Goldwell and Crowind to provide me with a better encoding of the video. Any suggestions on what resolution to go with?

3. Difficulty settings

I always wondered if the mission was perhaps to difficult. Feedback would be appreciated.

4. And whatever else needs fixing. There were a few minor things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In reply to a couple of the points

Regarding the sewer key - it is hanging in clear view in the kitchen

Regarding the generator - did you read the diary where Sir Talbot complained about having to get a guard climb up to switch it on

I can't believe I missed this one 4 years ago. Wow!

Anyway, found the rope arrow so I could get to the roof, where the greenhouse is. Is that where the lever is to turn on the generator? Used the rope to go down the elevator shaft, thinking I could open the doors, but that was a no go. Can someone please tell me where the lever is?

Can someone also explain to me how to spoil stuff in the DarkMod forums?

(Not on my machine, In Europé, but it works excellent )

My hobby built desktop is: XFX Play Hard-nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI

Onboard is:

CPU: Intel Socket 775

VGA: nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX-260

RAM: DDRIII 16Gb

HDD: 2 Tb

All service packs and latest drivers installed.

I can't believe I missed this one 4 years ago. Wow!

Anyway, found the rope arrow so I could get to the roof, where the greenhouse is. Is that where the lever is to turn on the generator? Used the rope to go down the elevator shaft, thinking I could open the doors, but that was a no go. Can someone please tell me where the lever is?

Can someone also explain to me how to spoil stuff in the DarkMod forums?

To use spoilers:

[spoiler]
some spolier info
[/spoiler]
As for the generator?

Go down to the basement at the bottom of the kitchen stairs then go into the wine cellar.

• 5 months later...

I haven't been to the game for a year or so but here I am again completing this mission and it's amazing.

I have very little to add to the points in the feedback section of the original post as they're pretty much accurate about my experience. Still, I can streess that the vertical use does not only feels right and awesome but it also adds to the flow because once you discover some passages it's not irritating to go back and forth around the map in case you need to return. I also appreciated the thoughtfulness about the size of the map. It's not big but it also doesn't feel cramped or a labyrinth. It's probably an ideal ratio between map size and it's content. Thank you.

Edited by Lex
  • Like 1

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

• 2 years later...

Here is a revised EFX reverb file:kiss.efx

Since Baal already expressed that he wasn't happy with the current setup, this may be added as a replacement depending on feedback. Just add it to /darkmod/fms/talbot/efxs/  ( you'll need to create the efxs folder )

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Baal said:

Of course; I know that.

But standing on a bucket is such a real world solution to that problem. He could have taken anything, and he didn't even have to turn the bucket upside down. That just made me chuckle.

True, definition of immersive sim right there.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 1 month later...

I added the improved EFX reverb changes to the mission in the mission database.

I was hoping to get some final feedback,  but the existing EFX was clearly "not great" so this should substantially improve things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 6:36 AM, nbohr1more said:

I added the improved EFX reverb changes to the mission in the mission database.

I was hoping to get some final feedback,  but the existing EFX was clearly "not great" so this should substantially improve things.

Thank you. I don't know much about EFX; I need to read up on that some time. I'll check it out when I have time.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:36 PM, datiswous said:

I try to do this in a lot of missions, only finding out mission designers don't always make their mission immersive.

You mean stacking things to climb on them?

Moveable objects are pretty interesting. They can be anywhere, anytime. Doing things you don't expect.

• Like 1