The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A House of Locked Secrets by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher (2015/05/28)

Moonbo

A House of Locked Secrets (by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

What makes this maps so much better compared to the other ones? I personally think that one of the reasons is that playing your maps means that you explore so much new content: New, fitting music, an impressive environment (it just looks awesome), new aspects like the unique items, lots of stuff to explore and many, many secrets and unexpected events. Exploring your work is just more than pleasant!

I really love the synergy, the story, the new things to explore and this results in "A House of Locked Secrets" being one of the best TDM-maps ever played for me!

Final words: Keep up the great work, not just you Moonbo, but all the contributors and people who made it happen! Thank you a lot for this map!

• Like 4

This campaign is an absolutely astonishing creation. I think this is actually better than any other thief leveI have ever played (originals and fan missions alike). Hugely creative gameplay, fantastic level design, great additional material like voice acting, graphics, music, etc. Thanks so much to everyone who made this - I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it.

I eventually found all the secrets, so I thought as a little token of gratitude I would compile a full list here:

Mission 1:

1. In the second test, behind one of the gates in the spirit world there is a note which tells you to look in the base of the statue in the opposite room in the normal world. Back in the normal world, open the tiny door at the bottom right of the statue to get a key, which opens the opposite gate (normal world equivalent of room where you found the note). Behind the gate is a health potion.
2. Once you have the rope arrows in the second test, go back to the first test room, then use the hammer to go to the spirit world. Use a rope arrow to climb up onto the balcony, where you'll find a health potion.
3. When you enter the crypt in the spirit world for the first time, backtrack to the spiral stairs which would lead back up to the rest of the level in the normal world. There is a gate here you can open and a chest you can lockpick for another health potion.
4. I can't remember where, but somewhere in the normal world crypt you'll find a key. After you finish the crypt quest to find out what's caused the spirit to be angry, go right back to the atrium outside you room. Use the key to open the other acolyte's door. You'll find one of the two stolen statues on the floor under a basket.
5. The book in the acolyte's room tells you where the second gold statue is - go down the stairs to the crypt and at one of the mid levels, look on the floor behind the arch into the stairwell, on the right hand side as you are facing the stairs from the corridor.
6. Drop both statues into the broken tomb at the end of the crypt. A ghost will appear and give you the code to open the tomb in the first room on the right as you enter the crypt. Turn the wheel on the tomb, put in the code, then collect the loot below the tomb.

Mission 2:

1. Go into the watch lodge just near the church (it has a note on the door). Inside you'll find a key to the upper warehouse across the road. In the upper warehouse are diaries that tell you where the first two secrets are. The first is in the garden behind the fountain where you started the level and used the shovel for the first time next to the fountain. Climb up onto the fountain, then over the railings, then dig in the small garden for loot.
2. In the very top of the upper warehouse is a hammer you can use to enter the spirit world. Go into the lower warehouse and then come back to the normal world. Climb over the crates and open the crate on the floor to find the rest of the loot.
3. On the way to the mansion, just as you leave the church area, you go through two iron grill gates in quick succession. Between the two gates, look up. Use a rope arrow to get up onto the rafters, then open the hatch in the roof for a gas arrow.
4. When you get to the front of the mansion, climb up onto the wood above the repair area, then onto the ledge and walk around to the guard house above the main doors. Climb onto the balcony above the main entrance, then from this balcony, climb onto another ledge on the other side of the balcony, then onto a further balcony above the first balcony for some loot. Alternatively, once you have the necessary key, you can just come out of the guard tower directly onto the first balcony, then climb up onto the higher one.
5. From the inner courtyard, from beside the light which flickers on and off, you can climb up onto the inner guard tower balcony. Then go round the right (as you look at the balcony door) and look up. You'll see a collapsed railing above. Use a rope arrow to climb up the wall nearby and then jump across for loot. Alternatively, once you have the necessary key, you can just come out of the guard tower directly onto the inner balcony, then climb up onto the higher one.
6. On the second floor, there is a room with a sleeping playwright in one of the bedrooms. A journal on his bed mentions a hidden safe. It's under the rug in the middle of the room.
7. On the second floor there is a door which you can't open near James's bedroom (James' bedroom contains a gold statue on a table which you can use to enter the spirit world). In James's bedroom in the normal world, pull a book on the bookcase to open a hidden room. There is also a portal in this hidden room to the spirit world where you can grab some mines.
8. In another second floor bedroom where the fire has gone out, there is a door to the bathroom you can't open. Go into the fireplace and up the chimney, then down the other side into the bathroom for loot.
9. In the normal world, you'll eventually find the north attic key (can't remember where, but possibly in one of the bedrooms?). Go up to the north attic and you'll find a box with loot in it. This is the normal world equivalent of the place where the bad man's heart was, which you had to grab to kill him.
10. In the normal world chapel, there is a book on a pew which you can use to go to the spirit world. Talk to the woman by the altar. You need to find three objects in the spirit world to inspire her. The first is a candlestick, which is in the chapel itself on the back wall near where you teleported to. The second is a crown which is on a box in the spirit world attic where you meet the man who has lost his lover (i.e. the place you go to immediately after you find the servant quarters key). The third is a lion, and I seem to remember it's in the spirit world library. Put the three objects in the bowls on the altar - you'll then be teleported to a treasure room.
11. In the same spirit world attic room where you meet the man who has lost his lover, go back into the spirit world equivalent of the vent through which you entered the room in the normal world, where you'll find a health potion.
12. In the electric generator room, there is a pile of coal. There are three diamonds here - one on the surface and two you have to dig for.
13. In the spirit world library, on a bookcase near the bottom of the stairs, frob a book. This opens a secret door next to the stairs. Go in for a health potion.
14. Following secret 13, go back and frob the book a second time to close the secret door, but run back inside the secret area before the door closes. After the door closes, this reveals a ladder down to a Keeper crypt. Use the dagger to teleport back to the normal world, where there is loot and a way out into the normal library.
15. When you've placed all four seals on the hovering plate things, you'll end up in a tall room full of skeletons and builder idols, with two zombies and an ancient note and health potion on the floor. There are four huge gargoyles in the corners of the room, one of which is not sitting correctly on its podium. Climb up onto this podium, then jump to the chandelier. Climb up to find loot on a ledge.

Edited by dartollen
  • Like 1

A couple of pages ago I posted about the game crashing to desktop when trying to load the second mission due to memory issues.

For posterity: if anyone's in the same shoes - WinXP, 4Gb physical RAM -, they should google how to run WinXP in "3Gb mode" and what it does. Still playing and greatly enjoying the second mission, and so far this solution has been working out for me.

• Like 1

I played this mission some time last week, and I was totally floored. Simply amazing work man, even better than Requiem!

It reminded me a lot of The Black Frog campaign from Thief 2 if you've played it, which is one of the best campaigns ever made for that game imo!

The novel game play elements were really clever and seamless. The story is rich and detailed, and suspended my disbelief the whole way through!

There was just one little thing where I reacted to something being unrealistic. When you enter the mansion area through the underground passage those wooden beams should easily allow you to crouch through them, but it was not possible. I understand you wanted to make sure the player pickpockets the guard for the key but if you are going to update the mission in the future I humbly suggest you make a couple extra cross beams so that it makes sense that you can't crawl through.

As far as criticism goes that is mere nitpicking though! I don't want to take anything away from your achievement here.

Oh, and it takes a LOT for me, a grown man of 30, to shriek like a little girl in a game, but you managed to with the fake gem bag. I knew that there was something off about it... but I still frobbed it like an idiot and got greeted with a face full of HELL! haha absolutely brilliant. I think those increasingly threatening notes really built up the suspense as well!

Edited by Bienie
  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

• 2 weeks later...

This mission keeps freezing up for me in the second chamber to where I have to cntrl-alt-delete to get out. This has happened to me several times now after I get the lockpick and return to the second chamber. I tried repeating this section several times and almost every time ends up with a lockup freeze. I've never experienced anything like this in any other mission.

I did find something interesting though. If I wait for each conversation to end before proceeding, then it doesn't freeze up. But if I hurry through each room without letting the conversations end then it can freeze up in that second chamber.

Edited by cavador_8

Hey Cavador,

Hrm, this is a very rare bug (it's only happened to two other players that I know of), and there are two known solutions:

1) Restart the mission from the beginning, this fixed the issue for one player.

2) Noclip your way through the second chamber - there is a trigger which activates the instructor's conversations as you go back and forth through that chamber and it's this trigger which seems to be causing the crash. By no-clipping you avoid triggering this trigger

Hopefully you don't run into any other issues!

Edited by Moonbo
  • Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Thanks Moonbo, that was the only issue I ran into. I just finished the mission and found it to be highly enjoyable! It's definitely one of the best Darkmod missions I have ever played. I went back and replayed the two chambers area over and over. Whenever I made sure to wait until the person speaking completely finished what they were saying before I moved on, there was no freeze/crash. But if I hurried through and left before they stopped talking, then sometimes it would freeze up. Maybe it had to do with quickly running over too many conversation triggers or something. Anyway, the best thing to do is to take it slowly and wait until they are done speaking before proceeding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't offer much over the praise everyone else has already given you.

I'm puzzled why some are advertising high loot scores. I felt that the best loot score was zero. Besides the obvious fact that you're not a thief any more, you're tempted to take the offered jewels and renew your materialism. I don't think you were suppose to take anything.

I don't understand why you choose that barrier for the repair site, a fat man could get through it. You made a better choice for a similar segment in Requiem with the scaffolding. Edit: I see it's been mentioned already.

Edited by SuaveSteve
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm stuck with this mission (and only with this mission), the game exit after some minutes, but it's random, with this log (i'm with Linux):

signal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 1
Trying to exit gracefully..
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door FootlockerLid_1 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door atdm_door_96x48_2hinge_1 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door1 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door atdm_door_96x48_2hinge_5 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door ChamberGate4 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door ChamberGate5 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door ChamberGate6 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door3 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door4 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door5 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door6 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door8 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door9 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door7 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door10 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door ArmoryDoor6 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door OldChestLid_1 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door First_Chamber_Door11 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door ArmoryDoor7 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door OldChestLid_2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Final_Secret_Door is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door OldChestLid_3 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door OldChestLid_4 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Sec_Ice_Button is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Sec_Lightning_Button is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Sec_Cup_Button is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Sec_X_Button is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Sec_Earth_Button is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Sec_Lion_Button is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Sec_Fire_Button is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Sec_Ring_Button is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door Sec_Star_Button is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door secret_panel_door is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door FootlockerLid_2 is not within a valid AAS area
ModelGenerator memory: 5 LOD entries with 2 users using 1503 bytes.
WARNING:idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model (index=0)
--------- Game Map Shutdown done -----
Shutting down sound hardware
----------- Alsa Shutdown ------------
close pcm
dlclose
--------------------------------------
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
------------ Game Shutdown -----------
ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.
Shutdown event system
--------------------------------------
shutdown terminal support
About to exit with code 0

Any suggestion?

Hey Ladro, when are you getting the crash? Is it in the first or second mission? It doesn't look like a malloc error - you might want to try redownloading and see if the error is still there.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

It's on the first mission. I've seen this problem when I teleport on the "special/spiritural dimension".

Maybe as you say it's a faulty download (I hope!), because I have this random crash only with this mission.

I'll retry to download the whole pk4 pack again! :-)

BTW: as for what I've seen till now... this mission it's a masterpiece!

Hey Ladro,

Ouch. There is a known bug that some people run into in "the second chamber" where if they teleport before the instructor finishes speaking the game will freeze up, but hopefully this is just a corrupted download :-).

-Sun Myung Moon

It was my package corrupted; I re-downloaded the PK4 and now it works perfectly! :-)

Finished the first mission, and I have just one word: awesome!

EDIT: just finished this INCREDIBLE mission.

I have no words to explain this masterpiece. It is simply the *best* of the best mission for TDM till now (IMHO).

Really thank you Gelo, and all the crew that made this "opera" possibile :-)

Edited by Ladro
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

You won, you made me create an account for darkmod just so that I can thank you for the wonderful hours I spent with this mission. I'm in love with the great atmosphere and stories, there were some frightening moments, and the gameplay is perfectly balanced.

I don't know what fan mod I'll do next, I have the feeling that nothing can compare. I hope I'm wrong.

By the way, I had two minor bugs during my mission.

First, when I first arrived in the manor, I knocked out the servant in the room with the wine. I got rid of him by throwing him in the sewers. I heard a splash sound, and the servant disappeared. I couldn't find him anymore! It was scary. For a moment I thought he was dead (I played in hardest mode)

Then, I once got stuck in the attic as I tried to climb some barrels. I couldn't move or jump anymore, and had to reload my save.

Very little bugs for such an amazing job. Thank you!

• Like 1

Then, I once got stuck in the attic as I tried to climb some barrels. I couldn't move or jump anymore, and had to reload my save.

There are a couple of workarounds for this kind of annoying trap (it happens often enough to be worth knowing them):

1. If you're lucky, the "mantle" key ( C) can lift you out of some stuck situations where jump doesn't do anything.
  2. Failing that, noclip in the console to get out, followed by noclip again to restore normal behaviour seems a legitimate alternative to a reload.
Edited by Araneidae

• 2 months later...

Hey Salama,

I'm glad you're enjoying the mission! To be honest, I'm not sure what the names of the paintings are, most of the come prepackaged with the mod itself. The only custom ones are

The portraits of Thomas of Gurgan

, and those just came from a random internet search.

• Like 1

-Sun Myung Moon

• 2 months later...

This truly is one of the greatest missions that I have ever played. Thank you so much for providing us with your talent. Reminded me a bit of Sensut's "Dracula".

Play was flawless on my ASUS ROG G752VT-DH72 laptop. Took me just over 8 hours on acolyte level.

I do not wish to be unfair to other author's as I still have a lot of missions left to play. I thank all of the author's for their wonderful series of missions.

Pete

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There's one glaring error I need to point out, with regards to this mission. The note on the door states...

"When the bad man comes, all you can do is hide!"

But that's not entirely true, is it? Because...

...when the bad man comes, you can also poo your pants!

His arrival was intense. Got my heart racing, not knowing what this new type of villain was!

This FM (like Requiem) is absolutely fantastic. I left a note on your blog asking if you'll ever create your own stealth game, because you've certainly got the creative talent!

Edited by Kerry000
  • Like 2