The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A House of Locked Secrets by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher (2015/05/28)

Moonbo

A House of Locked Secrets (by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

There's one glaring error I need to point out, with regards to this mission. The note on the door states...

Spoiler

"When the bad man comes, all you can do is hide!"

But that's not entirely true, is it? Because...

Spoiler

...when the bad man comes, you can also poo your pants!

His arrival was intense. Got my heart racing, not knowing what this new type of villain was!

LoL! I was frightened like a puppy but then amused like a child when the Bad Man bashed into the room, opened the other wardrobe (if you know what I mean), comically moaned in despair and left.

I don't need any coupon, if I can still buy this novella I will. Obviously the one who mastered this FM can't write a bad book.

Geez! What a cool stuff. If you are interested, I had an idea about creating a FM having daylight and a non-criminal (well, at the beginning) hero. I even scribbled a scenery and some schemas. But I'm lacking mapping skills (e.g. complex terrain and scripts. I prefer to do more general design stuff). Also, my PC is a bit outdated and runs editor extremely slow having a big mess of objects in it. I know what to do, I know what is it about but still didn't make it :ph34r:

Maybe it's not hopeless trying to get some help&cooperation in the forum? Huh?

Yeah, sorry, this must be in an other topic.

Edited by Scampada

Stop taffering there, criminal taffer!

Did find the time to play that gem at last...

I think it cannot get better that for a mod mission.

So many great ideas and moments. So much fun to look at and play through your huge double part mission.

Triple AAA mapping quality indeed!

And even better, with giving the atmosphere that I felt when playing the old original Thief games.

Thank you a lot Gelo for all your time and skill that you put into your outstanding TDM missions!

Best whishes to your ventures into creating indi-games.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

• 3 weeks later...

My response to this FM can be succinctly summed up with one word: WOW. I knew I was in for a grand treat from the very first moment that my screen flashed white.

The following spoiler block is going to be far more a short stream-of-consciousness response to the mission than an actual review:

I accidentally completed the first mission without solving the spirit's woes. Well, I had to reload there, of course, and return to hunt down the statuettes in order to appease him. I think that's fantastic- you can finish and move on, or you can get more out of the story if you put more time & effort in. I just couldn't bear the thought of missing out on something!

Then in the second mission, things got hairy. The Bad Man (G) scared the bejeezus out of me, and my husband had too much fun sneaking up behind me when I was sneaking around avoiding G. I'm not a fan of horror games in general, but this was done more in the style of Thief 3's The Cradle, which is the one part of that game that I well and truly loved. Hiding in the wardrobe? That was immensely stressful!! (And thanks again, husband, for your comments when I was cowering in my computer chair during that time.)

Guards I have to avoid because they're KO-immune? More stress, but hey, I'm just now getting back into Thief-ness after about a year's break, so I needed the refresher course anyway.

The only issues I can really point out as having would be:
Non-speaking spirits: The priest in St. Yorra's and the one in the warehouse. It seems, after reading this thread, that the latter isn't supposed to speak. What of the former?
Confusion regarding the braziers behind the bars surrounding G's heart. Using the holy symbol to do something besides transference to/from the spirit world was unexpected.

I love puzzles, so I greatly enjoyed them, though I wish they had gotten harder (or that optional harder ones had been added).

I greatly appreciate the automap! Thanks for implementing it (and thanks to Obsttorte, I believe, for the creation of it for TDM?).

Thank you for a very enjoyable mission, Moonbo! One question regarding the book: Does the discount coupon work for Amazon? I'm a Kindle user, so I tend to get my ebooks from there. Regardless, I'll be purchasing it soon, and look forward to reading it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I feel a bit stupid but...

i'm stuck at the second test, where you get a lockpick from a jewel case from Father Martel, in the spirit world. Obviously, i'm supposed to pick the door with it, but, the lockpick won't work on it, and i really can't see anything else i could do there. What am i missing?

Hey Moonbo,

Objects from part of the spirit realm can be used in other parts :).

Actually, i thought that was a hint that i could use the lockpick in the real world too, but, when i enter the real world, the lockpick is gone. Unfortunately, i guess i need a more specific clue. :D

Hey Chakkman,

Go back to the first chamber and use the holy symbol to enter into the spirit realm there - you might find something to use your lockpick on therein.

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What can I say except - WOW! I'm more than a little late to the gate but real life stuff only allows me the odd pop in. Congrats on this excellent mission Moonbo! Took me a while to complete, ended up restarting as the

crypt scared the bejeebers out of me and by the time I could get back I'd forgotten what I was doing lol. The first mission was awesome but took me a minute to get use to not being attacked. Found all the secrets in this well built beautiful mission.

I was not expecting the size of the second mission and was awe struck at every corner

I loved the puzzles but must confess to being stuck on a couple. I could not find the book for a while in the library but someone else had the same trouble and was able to find what I was looking for with help from this forum. As well was stuck at the end on what to do in the spirit world with the bad man running around. Had opened the cages but was lost after that as I had tried everything from shooting him with fire arrows to water arrows to put the lights out. Again, a comment from the forum put me on the right track. I found 14/15 secrets and most of the loot. There was one bag of loot that wouldn't highlight in a drawer so don't know if that's my missing loot or not.

All in all, a most enjoyable mission. Thanks for all your hard work and I look forward to more from you. I will eventually play them all. lol.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Precautionary Note

When you get to the courtyard of Thurgood Manor and want to dispose of one of the guards patrolling, DON'T carry them into the Sewer? Maintenance tunnel. I jumped in carrying a guard and can't get out !! The tunnel is too tight to drop him, and I can't hoist myself back out, either at the starting point or the end point (Wine Cellar?).

• 4 months later...

I've just tried a second run on 2.07 beta 5, but intro mission crashed during some of Simeon's lines, like it's mentioned a page earlier. That could be avoided by running away as far as he is not heard, but later another crash will occur during teleportation. 2.06 has this problem too, but during other phrases and teleportations.
That didn't happen to me back in 2016, with 2.04. Could it be worth reporting in 2.07 testing thread? Esp. for crashes, not related to dialogs.

Edited by Boiler's_hiss
  • Like 1

I could not reproduce the crashes in SVN.

I'll try again in 2.07b5 tomorrow.

Edit:

Could not reproduce on 2.07b6 beta.

The only crash I saw was for enabling single pass shadow maps ( r_shadowMapSinglePass ):

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/19774-beta-testing-207/page-13?do=findComment&comment=433347

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 1 year later...

I'm very late to the party, but I started playing this on 2.08. I love the start, but every time I enter the crypt (the third task in the initiation) and try to enter the spirit world by using the holy artefact on the candlestick it crashes. Is this a known issue, and are there any workarounds?

Hey BumblingThief,

I haven't played on 2.08 but I'm guessing it has to be something that broke with the update. Does anyone on the dev team know if this is a common issue?

-Gelo

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

On 7/8/2020 at 11:22 PM, Bumbling Thief said:

I'm very late to the party, but I started playing this on 2.08. I love the start, but every time I enter the crypt (the third task in the initiation) and try to enter the spirit world by using the holy artefact on the candlestick it crashes. Is this a known issue, and are there any workarounds?

I cannot reproduce this.

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit executable?

Please post your Darkmod.cfg

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

4 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

I cannot reproduce this.

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit executable?

Please post your Darkmod.cfg

I'm using the 64-bit executable on Linux (Debian Testing). I've attached my Darkmod.cfg. I haven't modified it, so it should be identical to the version bundled with 2.07 (edit: except for adjusting the brightness and gamma, and maybe one or two keys).

Darkmod.cfg

Edited by Bumbling Thief
I have made a few changes