The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A House of Locked Secrets by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher (2015/05/28)

Moonbo

A House of Locked Secrets (by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

That's not enough ram, get 4 GB min. Large maps will crash, it's almost inevitable especially with XP's less than stellar memory manager.

EDIT: Ram is dirt cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=4gb+ddr3+1066&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.X4gb+ddr3.TRS1&_nkw=4gb+ddr3&_sacat=0

4GB for 16$

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

That's not enough ram, get 4 GB min. Large maps will crash, it's almost inevitable especially with XP's less than stellar memory manager.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=4gb+ddr3+1066&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.X4gb+ddr3.TRS1&_nkw=4gb+ddr3&_sacat=0

4GB for 16$

Thanks for the info!

- prjames

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT with 512 MB RAM

That's not enough ram, get 4 GB min. Large maps will crash, it's almost inevitable especially with XP's less than stellar memory manager. 4GB for 16$

System ram is only part of the issue, the 512MB on the gfx card is snt helping either. I strongly suggest upgrading to a card with 1GB or more.

@Prj, what part of the world are you located in? were would you go to buy a new or s/h gfx card..? Also whats the makre/model of your motherboard and Powersupply..?

System ram is only part of the issue, the 512MB on the gfx card is snt helping either. I strongly suggest upgrading to a card with 1GB or more.

@Prj, what part of the world are you located in? were would you go to buy a new or s/h gfx card..? Also whats the makre/model of your motherboard and Powersupply..?

In fact, @Prj, can you start a new thread in the tech support section, ta.

Well, as one last thing, if this is truly VRAM related you can try setting seta image_preload "0" which will cause the game

to load textures "on demand" rather than all at once. This can cause stalls when going from one visleaf

to the next so it's a last resort option.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I have 512 mb graphics ram, too, and it never caused any troubles on my side.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Oldjim - thanks for the hint - I've walked through the chapel a few times but never looked too closely.

Moonbo - got some house renovations on the go so I'm limited to how much I can play at the moment but I hope to get lost for a few hours later today.

Cheers,

AJ

Well, I gotta admit, this North Wing mystery has me stymied.

I've read the book on the pulpit so I get that there's a place under the chapel I need to get to but I have no idea how to do it. I still can't open the door on the upper chapel balcony. The book sitting on the pew is not frobbable. I've found the small passageway by the pews but there's nothing in there to do except join back up to another part of the mansion. I've checked and re-checked the North Wing attic but I can't see anything in here except for some urns, one of which has blood on the floor, which is probably a hint regarding the bad man's heart.

I think I'm gonna need a major hint here, guys - I've been pullin my hair out and I don't have that much left to play with, heh.

Hey AJ,

No need to go anywhere outside of the North Wing. You just need to go to this room, you should be able to unlock it with the North Wing Room Key and find a spirit gate inside to take you back to the spirit realm.

Where you can grab the bad man's heart up in the attic.

18368422165_6d7357ef30_o.jpg

Let me know if that doesn't help :-).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I notice that XP is more susceptible to this, are you on XP Obs?

Windows 7

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Ahhhhhhh, yes

My natural avarice concerning shiny things got the better of me, I wondered why

the statues didn't count as loot

Now I know

I can see I'm going to have to think out of the box a bit more with this, 6/6 secrets & all loot

One tip for newbies, don't click if you don't want to know

Angry spirits can't throw things at you if there's nothing to throw

;)

Edited by esme

Oh man...you might have a corrupted save. I can't see how that would make something unfrobbable but the only solution might be to restart :/.

Do you have a save file you can upload. Maybe SteveL can look at it so it can be fixed in the future.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Moonbo,

can't upload a save to here because of the size restriction (my save is almost 5mb) but it's no biggie - this is such fun to play that I'll do a restart and make the north wing my first mystery to solve instead of my 3rd, lol.

I'll let you know if that problem occurs again.

Cheers,

AJ

Explicit answer:

you need to drop the two statues directly inside the broken tomb.

I tried to place the statuettes on the floor next to the holy symbol at first. When nothing happened, it didn't occur to me to try and stuff them inside the tomb itself.

D'oh!

Now I'm onto the second mission. Beautiful indeed :wub:

4GB for 16$

Just thought I'd give a quick update. I have access to a much higher-end system (8 GB RAM, 2 GB RAM on the graphics card, slightly faster processor). So, I installed Dark Mod on that system and played this mission and had no trouble making it to the second part of the mission.

I am based in the US and would either buy online or go to Best Buy if I decide to get more RAM for my lower-end system. But, there's no hurry on that.

Just wanted to give the update.

- prjames

• Like 1

Question:

After I've gotten into the locked room on the second floor of the North Wing, gone to the spirit world, and come back out again, when I try the golden statuette in the North Wing sitting room, the statuette no longer lights up or lets me enter the spirit world from that location.

Is that normal? Or is something wrong and I have to use noclip to move through the walls to get back to the rest of the North Wing?

Not that I have a clue as to what I'm supposed to do to solve the mystery....

I've found a note from G. about adding something to Sir James's drink, but the pouch can't be picked up. I've been to every room in the North Wing, collected every piece of loot, and every diary and letter, and I still have no idea what to do next.

Spoiler me, please!

Ergh, I hope you don't have the same bug that was reported before but

The sitting room statue should be unfrobbable after meeting the bad man.

In James room should be another gold statue you can use to get back into the spiritual world. One player had a corrupted save that made this statue unfrobbable, if that's the case you may need to replay the level. But if so can you load up a save file so we can see what's going on.

-Sun Myung Moon

Ergh, I hope you don't have the same bug that was reported before but

The sitting room statue should be unfrobbable after meeting the bad man.

In James room should be another gold statue you can use to get back into the spiritual world. One player had a corrupted save that made this statue unfrobbable, if that's the case you may need to replay the level. But if so can you load up a save file so we can see what's going on.

That's helpful, Moonbo. Thank you.

The sitting room statuette is no longer frobbable. Check! That's what happened to me. I thought that was weird since i can't exit from Sir James's room in the spirit world. Both doors are locked, the secret room has no exit at all, and I only have a single lockpick in the spirit world. That's why I'm kinda stumped and have no idea how to proceed.

This thing is just epic. Hard to find words for it.

I am almost through the second mission and

freed the noble family

I have 2 Questions:

1:

Where is the key to the lower warehouse?

@ScottyB

crown - go to the chapel in the spirit world

2: Which portal allows access there?

Thnx

Edited by hanmin