The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A House of Locked Secrets by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher (2015/05/28)

Moonbo

A House of Locked Secrets (by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

@Lux, thanks for the feedback. I personally love the "first time" experience of playing through something without knowing what to expect, so I don't like to give away any hints about what a mission will be like before release. The downside to that is that it makes for poor marketing :-P. But I'm glad you had an unexpected experience!

Regarding inspiring/not inspiring others - I'm more than happy to explain how stuff in the mission works - unlike Requiem (which had almost zero scripting) this one has some complicated effects, but if anything people can just drag and drop anything they like into their own FMs.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

And here is a playthrough of the second, main mission. I could have uploaded it sooner, but I had problems with my Internet. I hope we get to see more missions like this, being able to move between the real and spirit worlds. BTW, have you ever considered adding in-game subtitles to scripted dialogue for TDM missions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyqFPmyIptM

• Like 3

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

Wow, and you got all the secrets too! Great job! And those old 90's VHS bookends you got at the start and finish are a real nostalgia trip for me :-). I did hear that that the TDM team was thinking of adding in subtitles, but I'm not sure if or when that feature would get added.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

Finally had a chance to finish this up today. 6hr 23min total time, found 2/5 secrets in the first part, 10/15 in the second part. 5508 loot :\ I suck! hehe.

This is an amazing FM. Really just superb in every way like others have said.

I did have an issue at the end and unfortunately I don't have saves because reloading is what fixed it for me. Using the Holy Symbol and frobbing the blue/red flame stone fountains behind bars at the end. Not sure why but after frobbing the hammer on the guys back and then operating the lever on one of the barred areas in the spirit world, I was teleported back to where the guy with the hammer was and I was in the caged area. Frobbing the fountain with the red flame at this point would only take me back to the area with the bad man walking around where'd I just come from. I unlocked all the prisons and frobbed all the fountains in the spirit area but frobbing them only took me back to the area with the guy with the hammer. I couldn't get out of prison. Only thing I could do was frob the fountain again and that took me back to the spirit world side. A bug I guess. I tried for about 45 minutes and then thought screw it, maybe I missed something, so I reloaded from a hard save point. After that everything worked like it should. :)

Hey Lux,

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm not sure exactly what's going with these one-off odd bugs. They all seem so different from each other to the point I just wonder if the level is just at a size and complexity level where things just have a chance of going bad. Ah well, at least they don't seem *too* prevalent :-).

Edited by Moonbo
  • Like 1

-Sun Myung Moon

It was already set that way.

I've realized now that the nature of my problem has changed from the malloc failure from a general failure to write memory - that is, I start with a quicksave in the first mission, run to the end of the first mission, then start the second mission, and after loading the world and waiting, it fails to Windows XP with the error message 'The instruction at "0x13491215" referenced memory at "0x2278e370". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program.' and the gamma level at XP is set to whatever I had it set to in Dark Mod (which is pretty bright).

It fails that way with the image_downSIze set to "1" and "0", with varying instruction and memory addresses.

- prjames

Yeah I'm getting the same issue for the second mission, it seems to have generated the world but it doesn't load without crashing to desktop.

malloc failure for 134217736
Got a nvidia DX11 1024mb memory card with latest drivers, XP SP3, 2.40Ghz processor, 3Gb ram. Haven't had the issue on other FMs.
Edited by TheUnbeholden

I am not sure it is graphics card memory per se as it runs fine on my 1GB memory card

However there is another possibility - you are presumably running an XP 32 bit operating system which limits the total ram (graphics plus main memory) to only 2GB per process unless you have the 3GB switch enabled

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT : Restarting the mission solved the issue. Leaving this message as it might help others to solve their problems.

Hi,

This FM seems great, unfortunately, it crashes on me in the second room of the first mission, when I have the key and have to go back to the "otherworld".

I have tried multiple times and I consistently get this message :

Using TDM's enhanced interaction

Forcing an update on cooked math data.

Cooking math data please wait...

Cooking complete.

Restarting ambient sound snd_tower'(Tower) with volume -5.048547

signal caught: Segmentation fault

si_code 1

Trying to exit gracefully..

double fault Segmentation fault, bailing out

shutdown terminal support

--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

About to exit with code 11

ModelGenerator memory: 5 LOD entries with 8 users using 3440 bytes, memory saved: 2126 bytes.

Erreur de segmentation

I once had this :

--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door FootlockerLid_1 is not within a valid AAS area

WARNING:fms/ahouseoflockedsecrets/ahouseoflockedsecrets.pk4/script/tdm_realmgate.script(31): Thread 'tdm_realmgate::activategate': Door atdm_door_96x48_2hinge_1 is not within a valid AAS area

About to exit with code 11

ModelGenerator memory: 5 LOD entries with 4 users using 1503 bytes, memory saved: 1463 bytes.

Erreur de segmentation

I'm on Debian Jessie 64bits, with i3 2.5ghz, 8gb ram and radeon HD 6450 1Gb ram. My TDM installation is up to date, and I do not have any problem with other FMs (appart from TD3: Heart of lone salvation that used to crash some months ago).

I did try the darkmod.cfg tempering and although it was quicker to load and hurt my eyes, it did not make things better.

I'm going to try and restart the mission to see if it solves the issue. Let me now if you need a trace log or specific info.

Any suggestion as to how I can get past this show stopper ?

Thanks,

AB.

Edited by abelliqueux

Hey,

There's been one other player who mentioned the same issue (sadly he got around it by no clipping through that room instead of walking through it). It might be a corrupted file in the download that's causing the issue, so I would try deleting and re downloading or starting a new game from scratch.Let me know if that doesn't work :).

-Sun Myung Moon

@Moonbo : I restarted the mission and everything was fine ! I was able to play through the missions without a problem, and wanted to thank the team for their work, as it seems to me that this is a refreshing mission, with its emphasis on the narratives and gameplay variations. It changes from the "break and loot" on which most FMs are based.

I like the way you've reversed the antagonisms. Instead of being assumed of as a thief, you are the good one, and those fighting you are tricked into thinking you are the bad one... It brings much more depth than the average thief vs police plot. Also, I like how you don't solely rely on difficulty to lengthen the play time, and manage to hint some terror in the black man closet sequence, without spoiling it later by falling into a too strong confrontation. No being able to rely on weapons helps here I think. I think I know the answer, but have you by any chance been slightly influenced by Amnesia : The dark descent ?

Anyway, thanks for the team's work, and keep up the good work !

I'd realised I'd missed a few things, odd unexplored bits here and there, so rather than go back to them I restarted mission 2 & did them on the way past.

I'd already done a couple of 'otherworld' bits so I decided I'd try the other end of the mansion this time round.

How bad could it be I thought, I've seen some pretty bad guys in the 'otherworld', lets see what's in that room over there

oops

I think I need to do some cardio workouts and do something about the dents I just put in the wall behind me ... I'll just be over here gibbering quietly to myself & having a little weep

Edited by esme

The game is freezing early on.

During the "third and final" trial there are several gold statues. I pick up the first without difficulty. The second, located inside of a booth causes the freeze whenever I try to fob it through the window. Restarting was no help.

The game is freezing early on.

During the "third and final" trial there are several gold statues. I pick up the first without difficulty. The second, located inside of a booth causes the freeze whenever I try to fob it through the window. Restarting was no help.

I am playing on "Saint" mode.

I am playing on "Saint" mode.

It seems that the gold item is the "something from the past" that lets us into the past, and not a statue. If I have the statue #1, bad things happen and the game freezes. I sometimes see the green wait circle, but not always. If I bypass statue #1, things seem to work for now. Also tried everything on priest level.

Hey abelliquex, glad everything could work and you could enjoy the mission! To be honest I've never played Amnesia before (though I do own a copy) :-).

@esme, just take a few deep breaths :-P.

@MVT, sorry for taking so long to answer - it sounds like you found a workaround?

-Sun Myung Moon

Excellent, Excellent, Good. Only technical problem involved the servant Byron getting stuck in a chair and knocking himself out, raising the alarm (because of body). Story issues involve some of the NPCs lacking in sufficient backstory...I felt I had insufficient notions of who these people were, in relation to their significance. But those who did have backstory where quite nice. I would like very much to see more missions like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Gelo,

Wau.

Where to even start?

This.Mission.Is.Brilliant!

Can´t thank you guys enough for this.

It took me some time to finish this mission, because of real life issues, though i started playing it the second day it was released!

What should I praise first?

Well told story? Graphical feast? Optimization?

I´m not even gonna start with "this mission looks fantastic" it looks fantastic.

New gameplay mechanic (spiritual/material world), complete with different items and health bars is brilliant, simple (though I am not so sure if it was simple to implement it technically) and effective.

What I immediately noticed was secret location counter - every time you found one, small message displayed, showing how much of items have you discovered.

This might seem like a simple thing, but I wish all the subsequent games would have this feature - personally it does not break the immersion for me and informs me ingame how much secrets I still have left - by no means i have discovered all of them, some of them were cleverly hidden and even though I consider myself a thorough person while playing, I was able to find out only 4 of 6 and 7 of 15.

For the location of the rest of them, I was watching FenPhoenix´s video :)

Also, I must say I was chuffed to find out you named one of the characters after me! After me! :D

That never happened to me before and I felt honored.

I have a feeling this mission raised a bar here :)

Again, thanks all you guys who participated on this, this is a wonderful treat of a mission.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...