The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A House of Locked Secrets by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher (2015/05/28)

Moonbo

A House of Locked Secrets (by Gelo "Moonbo" Fleisher)  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could Be Better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

So I finished the mission. I missed the way into the spirit world on my initial search through the library, and couldn't find it afterwards because I had displaced some things. Looked it up. Not a super big deal but a bit annoying nonetheless.

Overall great mission, very good story telling. If I had a major complaint it would be that it feels rather railroady at times. Honestly I'm not really in the mood for saying more, so I'll just leave what I said before.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

I finished it today. A full 5/5 vote on everything from me! The appearance was good, the gameplay was well designed and intriguing, the story detailed and constantly progressing.

If there's anything I wish was different, that would be more unique elements to differentiate the spirit realm. Like maybe a dense blue fog, slightly lower gravity (the effect of gliding some of us experience in dreams), etc.

Also, I'm not fully sure if this being a campaign makes full sense for only two levels. I hoped for a while there might be more maps and places to travel to, although the action was by far consistent enough as is.

What part of it being a campaign doesn't make sense, just out of curiousity?

It's just that I'd typically imagine using the campaign mechanism if you have a handful of maps. For only two levels it feels a little vague. Perhaps a third outro level back in the cathedral would have been a nice touch.

Hey guys,

Glad you enjoyed the mission!

@1618, sorry for the late reply, but here's the location of the secret outside the manor (from Cambridge Spy's play through):

@MirceaKitsune, AI have the ability to greet each other and so I set the guard outside the church on the same team as the player with the "can greet" flag turned on. In order to be extra sure he spoke to the player there is also a trigger around him that's triggered when the player gets close to him, which activates a one-line conversation playing a greeting bark.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

It's just that I'd typically imagine using the campaign mechanism if you have a handful of maps. For only two levels it feels a little vague. Perhaps a third outro level back in the cathedral would have been a nice touch.

I have to disagree there. Having both levels in the same campaign means that anything that should carry over does, and it ensures the missions are played in the right order/people don't download part 2 first and have no idea what they're doing because they aren't interested in part 1 or just picked a mission at random.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

@MirceaKitsune, AI have the ability to greet each other and so I set the guard outside the church on the same team as the player with the "can greet" flag turned on. In order to be extra sure he spoke to the player there is also a trigger around him that's triggered when the player gets close to him, which activates a one-line conversation playing a greeting bark.

I know... if the player is on the same team as an AI, that AI will automatically greet them. What I was curious about is how the friendly guard in front of the church recognized the player as a priest! He says "hello father", which is also how guard AI's greet priest AI's. Normally, when a guard and a player happen to be on the same team, the guard greets the player as a passerby and only says something like "busy night huh".

From memory in DR, under inheritable properties on an AI, there are lists of things like animations they can perform, and the voice set etc. Likely, he was configured to only really have 1-2 things to say from the 'builder talking to highe ranked builder' vocal set.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Hey guys,

Glad you enjoyed the mission!

@1618, sorry for the late reply, but here's the location of the secret outside the manor (from Cambridge Spy's play through):

Yup, found that one.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Yep... that's exactly what I was asking about. I'd like to know how a mission can override this for the player, as it might come in handy for missions I create.

Yep... that's exactly what I was asking about. I'd like to know how a mission can override this for the player, as it might come in handy for missions I create.

This thread may be relevant: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/16412-setting-spawnargs-on-player

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Now I'm curious too. I loaded the map in DR but couldn't see how it was done. And as a general point, we could probably do with an easier way to set spawnargs on the player in DR.

From what I recall it wasn't anything overly hard, definitely not a change in the player (outside of setting his team). It was probably just setting a spawnarg on the guard.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

If Moobo makes 3 more missions like this, we'll have enough hours of fresh game time to warrant a full game.

Finish Bolen's story! We want REAL tragedy to come as we approach the mid point and develop plot to further the climax so the resolve is that much greater!! :D

• Like 2

I have to say that this mission, like the first one that you made, is absolutely incredible. It just set the bar so high. My only suggestion is to make the dark sections in the house darker and the ,,sneaking" more challenging. It is great to play something different. Thanks for the hard work put into it.

Moonbo,

Ever been able to get inspired and write some more TDM lore? Or expand on the existing lore like you have?

I'm not a writer, per se, and I imagine how TDM world would be perceived with more connecting dots.

I guess you've imagined or desired a larger TDM history than is there as well?

I would think so yes since you are adding to it yourself making levels.

I think the TDM universe would benefit a lot from more history in the canon.

It could even be in the form of a playable environment.

For example: Bridgeport Library (like the mansion library or something) and it can be filled with all kinds of books written with stories about the TDM world.

The player can read and learn till heart's content.

Then go back and play more TDM.

We need more of your talent for good use in the community. :-)

• Like 1

What's going on in the library? Can't seem to find item to get into spirit world to uncover mystery. Are those 3 cage/gate doors on the second floor able to be opened? Got other three mysteries solved.

@1618, a printed version of the novella is on my to-do list. It's been prepared and I even have two proof copies that I made to make sure the formatting was all correct, but I just need to get off my butt and submit the final draft. Until then though, since it's not overly long, you could just buy/print it as a pdf (or even a word doc) from Smashwords.

@Deadlove, you'll need to find a gate to a spirit realm in the library. Exact answer:

There is a book you can frob near the open readable regarding the Thurgood family history.

• Like 1

-Sun Myung Moon

@1618, a printed version of the novella is on my to-do list. It's been prepared and I even have two proof copies that I made to make sure the formatting was all correct, but I just need to get off my butt and submit the final draft. Until then though, since it's not overly long, you could just buy/print it as a pdf (or even a word doc) from Smashwords.

@Deadlove, you'll need to find a gate to a spirit realm in the library. Exact answer:

There is a book you can frob near the open readable regarding the Thurgood family history.

I'm going to read through the final book in the Cicero Trilogy by Robert Harris first, so no rush. :)

• Like 1

Wow your missions get better all the time!
This really has a huge deal of professionalism to it! I am blown away by your approach. Half way through the 2'nd part of the FM... it MUST be at the top of some FM list, a special asterisk and underlined ( 5 FM's to play before you die).

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I finished this a while ago but was to lazy to write my opinion down. I still am so I make it short.

This is an impressive piece of work. It is very imaginative and full of cool ideas, that are perfectly implemented. Congratulations!