The Dark Mod Forums

Home Networks

Springheel

Anyone here comfortable with home networks on Win7? I've spent hours today trying to get my computers talking to each other properly, and still haven't gotten anywhere.

I have a D-Link router connected to a modem, with computer A connected directly to the router and computer B connected directly to the modem (has to be that way due to the physical layout of the house).

Both computers are able to access the internet normally.

However, neither computer sees the other. When I started looking into it today, one of the things I noticed is that one computer was on "Network 2" and the other was on "Network 3". That seemed like the obvious culprit, but I merged those two networks and now both register as being on "Network 2". Yet they still don't seem to see each other as being part of the same network. Neither appears to know the other exists.

If I ping the public IP address of computer B from computer A, it succeeds. Trying to ping computer A from computer B fails. Trying to ping either computer by its IPv4 address (different from the public address for reasons I'm ignorant of) times out.

Both computers are running Win 7--B is Home Premium and A is Business if that matters.

After multiple hours of searching through things online, I feel like I've run out of obvious trails to follow. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it, even if it's just to narrow down what kinds of issues I should be searching for.

Trying to rap my head around this... Its kind of like being in school again.

So one computer is connected to the router and the other to the modem? Does one computer get an IP address like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, while the other gets something radically different and publicly routable?

As far as I understand it, they're still not on the same network because one is behind the NAT provided by the router and one is not. Check to see what IPs both machines get. If you can't plug the other one into the router too, can you use Wifi? Windows and most ISPs will protect you now from accidentally sharing file and print services with the whole world.

So one computer is connected to the router and the other to the modem?

Yes.

Does one computer get an IP address like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, while the other gets something radically different and publicly routable?

Both computers have two different IP addresses. When I use Google's "what's my IP", I get a different 70.55.x.x number for each machine. When I use ipconfig from a cmd window, the IPv4 for both is a different 192.168.x.x number. From what I've looked up it seems like the first is the public IP and the second is the private IP, though I'm sketchy on the practical difference between them. I've tried pinging both addresses from both computers, and the only thing that doesn't time out is computer A (connected to router) pinging computer B's public IP. Trying the reverse does not work.

If you can't plug the other one into the router too, can you use Wifi?

No. Both are desktop computers without wifi capability.

they're still not on the same network because one is behind the NAT provided by the router and one is not.

Not sure what NAT means, but by process of elimination I'm guessing that difference is somehow causing the issue.

Disable DHCP and wireless, then connect both the modem and computer using the LAN ports.

I think this might be beyond Springs knowledge and may potentially cause him more grief.

@Spring -

1. it dosen’t matter that both PC have different versions of windows,
  2. But the reason they can’t see each other is because ther are on potentially physically different networks (router & modem). Both PCs need to be connected to the router and the router connected to the modem, so the connections go like this PC> Router> Modem> Phone/Cable socket> internet.
  3. with both PC's connected to the router, both will then automatically be given an IP address from the router such as 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.3 etc.
  4. make both PCs are set to pickup the the IP address automatically
    • control panel> network and sharing> change adapter settings>
    • then right click on the active connection (for me thats local area connection 2
    • properties> internet protocol version IPV4>
    • and make sure "optain an Ip address automatically" and "optain DNS server address automatically" are set.
  5. Then we need to make sure that file and printer sharing is enabled on both PCs (which is should be be default) -
    • control panel> network and sharing> change adapter settings>
    • then right click on the active connection (for me thats local area connection 2
    • by default all the options properties windows should be ticked.
  6. Then finally we need to make sure that Windows Firewall is setup to allow 'File and printer sharing' -
    • Control panel> windows firewall> allow a program or feature through windows firewall
    • file and printer sharing> make sure the tickbox in the 'home/work (private)' is ticked.
  7. IMCP (Ping) should be enabled by default on windows firewall.

If you still have issues, drop me a PM with a contact number(my mobile call plan allows me call most countries for a few pence per min) or skype ID - I'm around all day today.

b.

Both PCs need to be connected to the router and the router connected to the modem, so the connections go like this PC> Router> Modem> Phone/Cable socket> internet.

That would be my guess too. The modem probably doesn't have routing available between different downstream connections (i.e. the directly-connected PC and the router); it is only designed to pass packets from the downstream connections to/from the DSL line. If you can't find a way to plug both PCs into the router you might be out of luck.

If you can't find a way to plug both PCs into the router you might be out of luck.

@Springs, whats the make & model of the modem and router. You mentuioned the router is a D-link so its likely got 1x wan port and 4x lan ports, but wont know for sure till I have the make/model etc.

its likely got 1x wan port and 4x lan ports

It's a D-Link Dir 655, and yes it does.

Plugging the other computer into the router isn't really feasible--the modem and other computer are in a different room (the modem has to be there in order to be plugged into the tv). To hook the router up to the modem required drilling holes and running cables through the walls when it was first installed.

I guess I could just keep a 50' cable on hand, and just run it on the floor and plug the other computer in directly to the router when I want to play games with the kids, but that's not going to work for everyday use/file sharing, etc. There's really no other way to do it?

Disable DHCP and wireless, then connect both the modem and computer using the LAN ports.

I need the wireless for other devices...why would I need to disable it? Biker's right that I don't know much about this.

• Plugging the other computer into the router isn't really feasible--the modem and other computer are in a different room (the modem has to be there in order to be plugged into the tv). To hook the router up to the modem required drilling holes and running cables through the walls when it was first installed.
  • I need the wireless for other devices...why would I need to disable it?

How is the modem connected to the router atm? there must be a cable going from that to the router.

• Assuming its all cables, I suggest -
    • move the router the same room as the modem and plug the modem into the router.
    • then use/plug the cable that originally linked the router/modem and plug that into the PC thats in the room the router used to be in.
    • Plug the TV and the PC in that room directly into the router.
  • If not, then I suggest -
    • move the router the same room as the modem and plug the modem into the router.
    • Plug the TV and the PC in that room directly into the router
    • get a wifi dongle/card for the PC in the other room.

Your D-Link Dir 655 supports 300Mb/s wifi so to get the best speed you should get a 300n dongle/card etc.

Wireless router.

Wireless->ethernet adapter.

Connect the modem and nearby PC to the router.

Connect the far away PC to the adapter.

Router and adapter will talk to each other over wi-fi.

I did this for a couple years until I replaced my wired PC with a wireless PC.

Biker's first suggestion seems about right. There must already be a long cable between the router and the modem, so you just move the router next to the modem, connect the two with a short patch cable, and the existing long cable now goes into the router instead of directly into the modem.

I.e. instead of

[PC] --- [Router] ---=======================--- [Modem] --- [Socket]
                                                   |
                                                  [PC]                                           
you have

[PC] ----------------=======================--- [Router] --- [Modem] --- [Socket]
                                                   |
                                                  [PC]

• then use/plug the cable that originally linked the router/modem and plug that intot he PC thats in the room the router used to be in.
  • Plug the TV and the PC in that room directly into the router.

That's a possibility, come to think of it...I'll just have to check and make sure all the cables will still reach everything and get back to you. If I can do this without buying anything new, so much the better.

Possibly stupid question--If my primary computer goes from a short cable to a long cable connecting to the router, will that slow my network speed down at all?

Possibly stupid question--If my primary computer goes from a short cable to a long cable connecting to the router, will that slow my network speed down at all?

No, the ethernet cable would have to be 100-150m long before you would start to see a degridation in speed.

Additionally, do make sure there is no physical damage to the cable/s - no mice chewing marks, nails through it, nasty kinks, etc etc.

Hey, everything reached and that actually worked! My daughter and I are playing minecraft together already. Thanks a bunch everyone, and Biker especially for the ultimate solution--I wish I'd come here first yesterday.

Thanks a bunch everyone, and Biker especially for the ultimate solution--I wish I'd come here first yesterday.

Your welcome B)

Just a heads up for everyone else with computer related tech issues. Drop me a PM and I will see if I can help(so we can swap skype or other contact details so I can remote in if required). Then if need we can move the discussion to a public thread for extra help, should I not be able to help.