The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Art Repository

Arm

Pretty sweet man, I really like the lighting on that one, and the classic "storytelling" feel of the image. I see what the Thief's mistake was there, he came in from the lit window, but he'll learn for next time. ;)

• Like 1

How do you make that art? It looks like combinations of photographs and digital art, with some TDM textures thrown in? Those figures, for example, are they from photographic references?

• Like 1

The teen concept art is very,very good!

Is it possible to make it more gothic? Most people will probably like a low fantasy/dark fantasy style contrary to the brighter version you presented. Did you try some vignette-like effects?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

How do you make that art? It looks like combinations of photographs and digital art, with some TDM textures thrown in? Those figures, for example, are they from photographic references?

Indeed, you are right :)

The teen concept art is very,very good!

Is it possible to make it more gothic? Most people will probably like a low fantasy/dark fantasy style contrary to the brighter version you presented. Did you try some vignette-like effects?

Thank you very much. I can see what you have in mind, but what do you mean by vignette-like effects?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

The light and shadow in the pictures are very well done.

A vignette is the faded border around a picture - usually to black or white - essentially framing the image.

I am interested in illustration and graphic art, so if you are also interested in it - here are some links that might help you:

https://designschool.canva.com/blog/how-to-marry-text-and-images/

Here is a link to a nice gradient resource:

http://colorfulgradients.tumblr.com/

So, I think you ought to go with the Anderson vignette thing - I can give you a bunch of actions that will create levels, curves and vignettes for you to mess with in photoshop if you want.

In fact, looking at it like that - with the colours muted and evened out - that is a very professional looking image, SeriousToni, and I could see someone using that for a book or movie poster.

Is the guy in the middle the singer from red hot chili peppers in the 90's, with heath ledger's hair from "a knight's tale"?

So, since there is little lore to share, maybe it woudl be possible to unify the different missions visually. ie, Play some TDM levels, pick some places or scenes that you enjoy, screenshot them and then remake them in the collage style you use here.

Maybe they would make good level loading screens for the missions, because the levels for this game have no consistency when it comes to the loading screen... sometimes oil filter, sometimes solarised, sometimes crusty jpg, sometimes, wow nice one, sometimes pink text on black screen with 800x600 screenshot.

wonder what kind of person has the time to do stuff like that, when there are so many games they've never played in their steam library.

Haha wow! Well thank you for the appreciation and even more for the time you took explaining me your ideas and theoretical bases!! ^_^

I did not read the article about typography fully yet but from the pictures it really takes some great examples! I will do tomorrow. Also the gradient website is REALLY nice, thanks for that, I think I can use some of these for skies or something. And if you have some nice PS Actions that will help me working with vignettes and curves you are always welcome. Most of the "free internet actions" are total crap so I mostly do it by hand, but if you have some which are working well, I would test them out for my purposes too.

Now that you tell it, I will see the knight in a whole new light, gibbit away gibbit away gibbit away now, haha! :laugh:

I like your idea of imitating concrete TDM FM places and scenes. Even some kind of "comic" or novel in that style would be really cool to have. I will remind me of your idea when I will do another artwork and try it out :)

Actually I already did loading screens for TDM! One for the Campaign prequel "Behind Closed Doors" and one for my custom FM "Sneak & Destroy" ;)

Yes - it is the dedication to that game I simply have, because I think if everyone can do a little with the own personal experienced / talented area, we can make an even greater game at whole in the end. :wub: I do mostly the small bits, but I try to keep up doing something :blush:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Yes that's what I meant teh_saccade.

Very thoughtful posts.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Thank you for the actions - I just installed them with double click and it worked :D But in the end I only found the Instagram Actions useful. I could use them for my personal photos to get them into a completely different mood by just a click which is nice. The painting effects looked mostly weird as they were creating artefacts and deleting details on photos or even changing colours, but maybe people could use them to do quick & easy loading screens for their FMs (I can't stand this typical Gimp coal filter anymore haha). And the last filter I didn't understand how to use since it only created some random light blendings on my pictures. Ah well I guess it is like always: what you do by hand is done better than by automatics ;)

When I have time I can look into the girl in the forest picture again, but normally if I'm pleased with a work I won't touch it again, so we'll have to see. ^_^

EDIT: Haha a bit offtopic but what you said about Steam games is definately true. I have played 56 games (20 of them even under 2 hours) out of the 223 games I have which makes 25% (or even only 16% played more than 2 hours) - OMG I must be less productive and play more, thanks! ..or buy less :D

Edited by SeriousToni

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

That would by desktop background. Only,..is there something wrong with his helmet?

Hm I might messed up the lighting there, he should be wearing an iron helmet (see attachment) , but I am not an artist like Springheel is, so please forgive me my sluggish failures :Dpost-3542-0-05047900-1560177133_thumb.jpg

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beautiful stuff you guys.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

• 3 weeks later...

I named it "slavic". Not because she is slavic, but the music was when creating this one! :DThis would also make a nice ingame painting I think haha :)

slavic.jpg

• Like 2