The Dark Mod Forums

Micro$oft data slurp: now not just limited to win10

Bikerdude

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people who bought win7 have switched to a pirated copy which uses some kind of activation that is not recognized by all the win10 update garbage, so they are not having these problems, I can understand why!

The latest MS intrusion: 'Microsoft begins advertising on the start menu in windows 10'

No matter how often the likes of MS say 'Apps and programs can be turned off' I'm still very sceptical for the simple reason that MS know that many people will turn off things they do not like if the option is there, so the 'off' button actually does nothing!

Edited by Eyeshine

Like few people already said, at the moment Windows for gaming and GNU/Linux for all other issues seems the best way to go. Because of proprietary-caused cages a lot of stuff still will not work properly on GNU/Linux, so dual-boot might be the best option for someone who wants to play games or has to use certain applications from time to time.

I personally would avoid upgrading to the Windows-10-bait or spending more money to the Microsoft company as necessary, glad Windows 7 will still be supported for the next five years.

Personally I want an OS that does what I tell it to and not what some random in a foreign country says, that's what I paid for.

And just because they are giving it away free does not justify using extremely dodgy and aggressive tricks to replace the product I've paid for, if I don't want their advert ridden freebie then I shouldn't have to have it and further I shouldn't have to watch the updates like a fucking hawk to see if they are trying to sneak it on to my machine.

Microsoft have forgotten what the purpose of an operating system is or at the very least think everyone else has.

This has completely destroyed my trust in Microsoft and I will not be buying any of their crap again, hopefully the backlash will kill off this forced update & advertising nonsense, but as a lot of users aren't that computer literate and just see a PC as an extension of their smartphone that lets them see what's on at the pictures or for sale at amazon while playing a game now and then, I'm not going to hold my breath.

So as it's been a while since I did anything Unix suggestions for a secure Unix OS would be gratefully received

Microsoft stops automatic Windows 10 upgrades, says default checked update was ‘a mistake’

Thanks MS, they'll believe it, most of them are so stupid they just click 'Allow' anyway, keep the 'updates' coming, there are still a few smart asses who won't upgrade but we''ll get them ;)

Regards GCHQ/NSA.

Too little too, too late

I'm already looking at alternatives, why should I waste my time while M$ sorts itself out with no guarantee they will or that they won't fuck us about again in future.

Showstoppers for me are

1. Encrypted data being shipped off my site.
  2. Auditing my machine every 90 days.
  3. The presence of a killswitch.
  4. Advertising appearing on the taskbar, yes I know it can be disabled for now.
  5. Forced windows updates rather than allowing me to schedule them.
  6. This whole debacle of an 'accidental' ticked check box on the Win10 update, yeah right it was 'accidental'.
  7. Whole bundles of software that I'm never going to use being rolled out with the OS & being incredibly difficult to get rid of.
  8. The paradigm shift of my general purpose computing device being turned into a smartphone lookalike.

i.e. Pretty much everything M$ consider a selling point

I've been a M$ fangirl since DOS 2.0, but they have destroyed my trust with this crap

Do they honestly think the likes of coca cola, smithkline beecham, glaxo, haliburton and so on are really going to sit idly by and allow any one of those showstoppers to happen on equipment they own ?

Course they fucking don't, they're corporate multinationals M$ won't mess with them instead they are messing with us, so fuck 'em.

@Esme, we still have several years support left in Win7 and then we can move to Win8.1. Maybe by then M$ will have come to thier sense and fixed/reverted all the B$ in Win10/11. Failing that hopefully one or more linux distro will have matured enough to be a direct windows replacement, then we can use qmu/wine to play windows games - or there will be enough linux support via steam or some such.

Nah, MS is going to drag us, kicking and screaming. How? Simple! .NET Framework. A shocking number of programs require .NET now to run. New .NET versions are coming out constantly, and W7 is no longer in mainstream support. This means no new versions of .NET will be ported to W7 as far as I understand. In a couple of years, programs will not work on W7 which require a new .NET version.

This would not be an issue if people used cross-platform standards like GTK, or just stuck with winforms, which is widely supported. They teach everybody .NET in schools though, so those small utilities we all love are written in .NET now, so we're screwed.

Let's port TDM to .NET! (sarcasm)

Edited by kano

Alright, its time for some Windows bashing. I just installed Windows 10 on a Windows 8.1 tablet (clean install). For starters, the touch screen was not detected! Seriously, what the flatulant fuck? Why does a "state of the art" OS not detect the single method of input on a slightly older Baytrail tablet (when that OS is being promoted as a platform for tablets)? Okay, whatever,, I'll torture myself by finding some way to connect a USB flash drive AND a keyboard AND a mouse to the single fucking USB port on this thing. There's a MicroSD slot, but we're not allowed to boot from that because...??? Anywho, most of us do not have USB hubs lying around because most machines come with an ample amount of USB ports. So, I ended up "rigging" a KVM switch to serve as a poor-man's USB hub. I used one port (intended for the keyboard) for the flash drive and the other (intended for the mouse) for my keyboard/mouse. SURELY it will detect the touch screen and let me use it when the installation is complete, right???

WRONG! After the installation was completed, the touch screen was not detected! What year is it again? How long have touch screens existed? Windows 10 doesn't even provide graphics acceleration, sound, or networking FFS out of the box! Again. this is Intel Baytrail hardware... Its not brand new, and not exotic stuff. I actually contemplated installing Windows 7 on this thing at first, but I figured I would rightfully end up in this situation... but with a modern operating system, I expected *improvement*. When it comes to Windows, I guess that is a mistake that one should not make.

Then, after the installation, it started asking me for a product key. There is no fucking product key! Actually, its embedded in the BIOS from what I read. This is no doubt intended to stop people from copying the product key. Sleezy, but whatever. Why the holy hamster fuck does it ask me for a product key during installation then, though? Shouldn't it um....... read it from the BIOS?

PS: to anyone who figures out how to build a time machine, please let me go back in time and punch myself before I decided to get a Windows tablet.

Edited by kano

The activation thing turned out not to be an issue. After installation, it showed as activated. I was afraid I would end up screwed because I did not copy the product key out of 8.1 before I nuked it, but such is not the case. I was afraid I would need to install 8.1 and then start all over again.

Also, for anybody who needs a really cool program to emulate a keyboard (AND a mouse!), check out JoyToKey. It is small, free, and works great!

• 1 month later...

FUCK!

Found this on TechTarget which is part of Computer Weekly

By default, Windows 10 communicates with Microsoft's servers, which includes sending private information. To make matters worse, changing settings won't help, Shaikh Rafia said in her WCCF Tech blog post. Windows 10 stores keyboard inputs in temporary files and transfers them through encrypted files every 30 minutes to three different servers. This means user passwords are not safe. And even if users don't log in to a Microsoft account, the OS still sends the data.

Bloggers sound off on Windows 10 problems

Looking at the WCCFTech link

It doesn’t seem to matter if you use a Microsoft account to log on to your computer or not, the operating system sends your data no matter what, including your passwords.

The analyst found 35 MB of data being sent to the servers after the web camera was turned on for the first time after Windows 10 activation.

It is further confirmed that the data from the voice port is indeed being transmitted even when Cortana is disabled. Over 80 MB of data is sent once every 15 minutes, when the computer is idle.

It was further noted that Windows 10 sends data to servers related to One Drive when the service is itself disabled

Well Microsoft can officially fuck right off with that, and when they've finished fucking off they can fuck off a bit more.

• Ok, a keylogger included in the OS is possibly the worst thing anyone can think of.

Maybe I should try to get another copy of Win7 in case my next computer has Win10 preinstalled, so I don't have to deal with this shit.

• I would think that its actually quite illeagal and the sooner someone/s files a class action suite or better the EU files a high court suite the better.

Good idea, I am gonna start keeping an eye out for Win7/8 pro lics on the cheap so I can build up a stash of them.

The most important question is: Can Windows 10 actually be worse than Windows Vista?

Which one is the worst? Which one is the worst?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Well if the usual good/bad, tick/tock follows then yes.

Client/Server version of windows over the last 10 years or so -

• Win3.1 - no comment (first proper version of windows, so nothing to compare it too)
  • Win 95 - good (sorta)
  • Win 98/NT - good
  • Win Me - bad
  • Win 2000/XP &2000/2003 - good
  • Win Vista - bad
  • Win 7/2008 - good
  • Win 8 - bad
  • Win 8.1/2012 - good (once you install classic shell and disable metro/modernUi based start menu)
  • Win 10 - bad, even worse than vista

Well if the usual good/bad, tick/tock follows then yes.

Client/Server version of windows over the last 10 years or so -

• Win3.1 - no comment (first proper version of windows, so nothing to compare it too)
  • Win 95 - good (sorta)
  • Win 98/NT - good
  • Win Me - bad
  • Win 2000/XP &2000/2003 - good
  • Win Vista - bad
  • Win 7/2008 - good
  • Win 8 - bad
  • Win 8.1/2012 - good (once you install classic shell and disable metro/modernUi based start menu)
  • Win 10 - bad, even worse than vista

I remember Vista crashing and freezing all the time.

Btw I thought a list like that would include MS-DOS (not that's it's Windows but, you know - Microsoft and Bill Gates)!]

Realistically, I might update to Win 10 only after I'm sure there's no files to lose due to incompatibility. By that time many problems might get solved as well.

Here's when we'll see how much GOG's policy of compatible games is worth! Let the compatibility battles begin!

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Actually, I currently use Vista on my home computer and don't have any major problems (apart from updates not getting listed, but I don't think that this is an OS problem, but is something unrelated). I also used Win ME for quite a long time and also had no problems with crashes and other stuff people complained about. But maybe I were just lucky at that time...

Edited by Destined