The Dark Mod Forums

Schemer character vocals

Melan

No work yet. I am completely burned out and fed up with my work, so I am not even pressuring Yandros ATM. It will have to come later.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'd be happy to try, it's easy to change a voice so it fits a particular pitch. Do you have any ideas on accent? Schemers are stereotypically

jewish, though I think that would be a bad choice. If you can decide on an accent, then I can have a go at it, if you don't like it I wouldn't be

offended. I think it's a great character for the game, and we need the right voice for it. As I said, happy to try some samples, different

voices, but would need some direction from someone who knows how to direct a voice. I'd need a script though.

Best thing with things like this is hear a range of voices and choose what you think is best for the part.

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 3 years later...

If you would like to, go for it! The accent I had in mind was something like Edmund Blackadder, one of Shakespeare's villains, or one of the Thief aristocrats.  As the description goes, "this is a character fit for a sinister nobleman, a corrupt merchant, a crime boss or an evil mastermind. He is sophisticated, pretentious, ruthless towards others, but cowardly at heart. He is given to dark, brooding thoughts, and feels at home in the City’s shadows."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Funny, I thought just a few days ago I could take a stab at this character.

NeonsStyle has dibs on it, though. The more variety in voices, the better !

If I may, though: @NeonsStyle, would you mind if I collaborated on the script for the character ? You do the ideas and the voice acting, I can offer feedback and write down the vocal script based on the master template we have from Springheel. Tell me if you'd be interested in such a collaboration. Thanks !

@Melan I've always loved this idea for a new vocal script. :)One of the top not-yet-made ideas for TDM, along with the Pagan VS-s.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have a script?

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

14 hours ago, NeonsStyle said:

Do you have a script?

Do you mean me ?

Not yet, I'm afraid. However, for posteriority, I've copied Melan's and others' musings on this idea into some notes I keep for TDM voicework. Just to be sure I have some ideas if I ever get to writing a script for the Schemer concept.

Currently, I'm trying to complete a vocal set for a male Pagan and for a foreign merchant type character (from the outskirts of the Empire). But I'm definitely thinking about looking into the Schemer concept as well, at least in terms of script.

Edited by Petike the Taffer

If someone really wants to do it, I'm quite happy to step aside. So if you'd really like to do it, then feel free. :)

It's just important that it isn't an American, or Canadian accent. That won't fit with the location of the game. 

Really think Jewish should be skipped too, as it's a bit stereotypical, and could be taken the wrong way; especially

today. 

Edited by NeonsStyle

2 hours ago, NeonsStyle said:

If someone really wants to do it, I'm quite happy to step aside. So if you'd really like to do it, then feel free. :)

It's just important that it isn't an American, or Canadian accent. That won't fit with the location of the game. 

Really think Jewish should be skipped too, as it's a bit stereotypical, and could be taken the wrong way; especially today. 

To nitpick on the former: Why do you feel the Schemer accent shouldn't be North American-sounding or British-sounding ? I find that confusing. I think it would actually make a lot of sense for it to be done by a native speaker. The premise of this vocal script concept is that it's one of several personalities we already have in the core game. Among the TDM men AI, we have the "simpleton", "pro", "cynic", etc., and those are all archetypes, rather than a guard voice, commoner voice, etc. Springheel himself likes to stress we should always think of these scripts more generally, as human personality types, rather than voice of characters X or Y. For that reason alone, and because "Schemer" is not too specific a personality, I think a more anglophone accent, along with a very specific tone of voice / style of speaking, could fit this guy. It has to be distinct and memorable on its own, but not for the sake of cheesiness or too foreign-sounding accents.

To nitpick on the latter, what even is a "Jewish accent" ? Yiddish ? Modern Hebrew ? Whatever accent historical forms of Hebrew had ? Honestly, aside from maybe local accent stereotypes, I have never really heard anyone (at least here in Europe) talk about a "typical Jewish accent". There's just nothing "internationally recognised" as any sort of typical Jewish accent, as far as I know. The whole "Jewish people as greedy/scheming" stereotype, aside from being completely unfair and stupid, is a baseless thing anyway, as the TDM setting probably has no analogue whatsoever of Judaism, Jewish culture, or a social class in the vein of people of Jewish faith or descent in medieval Europe.

As I mentioned yesterday, I am game for writing a vocal script for this sort of personality. Not necessarily for voice acting it, all the more that I think a North American accent would actually be preferable to such a more generic character.

The main reason I think it shouldn't be North American/Canadian is because the game is based in Europe. One of the British accents would

fit better I think. We are talking Medieval, and America wasn't discovered at that time, so it really doesn't fit the period. I've nothing against

Americans of course. I love that country, though not the current leadership lol.

As for What is a Jewish Accent. This is what I meant. It's very stereotypical. 

Edited by NeonsStyle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NeonsStyle said:

The main reason I think it shouldn't be North American/Canadian is because the game is based in Europe. One of the British accents would

fit better I think. We are talking Medieval, and America wasn't discovered at that time, so it really doesn't fit the period. I've nothing against

Americans of course. I love that country, though not the current leadership lol.

As for What is a Jewish Accent. This is what I meant. It's very stereotypical.

Loads of the vocal sets already have male voices with a North American accent. Especially the guards, if you listen to them.

The New World has also been discovered in the TDM world, but that's besides the point. It's still a fantasy setting, so some anachronisms are tolerable. They have magic and an early industrial revolution, which is already ahistorical. (The North American accent thing for some characters is a homage to Thief.)

I'd prefer a British accent for the Schemer. The British accent itself is unlike what an early modern English accent would sound like. Even Elizabethan era commoner English, like the sort Shakespeare used to a great extent, sounds quite unlike a modern British accent. A lot of the puns don't work in a modern British accent, due to different pronunciation ! Go back two hundred years earlier and you'll get lost even in Chaucer's relatively understandable Middle English.

• Like 1

If this dude would agree to donate his voice, that would be great. If/when he can do it.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

On 12/8/2019 at 1:41 AM, Petike the Taffer said:

I'd prefer a British accent for the Schemer. The British accent itself is unlike what an early modern English accent would sound like. Even Elizabethan era commoner English, like the sort Shakespeare used to a great extent, sounds quite unlike a modern British accent. A lot of the puns don't work in a modern British accent, due to different pronunciation ! Go back two hundred years earlier and you'll get lost even in Chaucer's relatively understandable Middle English.

I have read some time ago (or maybe someone told me? I forgot) that the current American accent is actually closer to the old British one than the current British accent, because it had less development compared to the English language in Great Britain. So, if you want an accent that is close to older English, you would have to use a North American accent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Destined said:

I have read some time ago (or maybe someone told me? I forgot) that the current American accent is actually closer to the old British one than the current British accent, because it had less development compared to the English language in Great Britain. So, if you want an accent that is close to older English, you would have to use a North American accent.

Yes, it is. The US and Canadian vocabulary also includes some traditional English and overall British terms that have become antiquated in the UK or shifted meaning since (the word "fall", for autumn, is a famous example of a now-antiquated-in-the-UK term). The high amount of "surname surname" style names in the US and Canada, to this day (whereas very rare now in the UK), is a consequence of a 16th-18th century fad (mainly among the English) to give sons personal names based on the maiden surnames of their mothers (in order to "preserve them", symbolically, even after marriage). Hence, even nowadays, you can have guys named Harrison Ford, and so on. That old tradition simply stuck for longer in North America, among some other antiquated-in-Europe elements of English. Also, the North American accents are not entirely identical to early modern English. They are just far closer-sounding, even today, than the phonetics of more standard forms of British English. The regional dialects of British English often still have a lot of the traditional pronunciation and accent elements that were taken to the New World centuries ago and evolved separately. I've heard a lot of the New Englander accents evolved from southern English local accents, heard among the early colonists, and were also influenced by later Scottish English, to a degree. The Texan accent, in turn, was apparently at least somewhat influenced by the Somerset regional accent from the southwest, among others.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 1:41 AM, Petike the Taffer said:

Loads of the vocal sets already have male voices with a North American accent. Especially the guards, if you listen to them

I am so sorry that I cannot connect you with voice actors from here. The British natives between 40 and 50 I know have all been living far too long in Bavaria effecting their native tongue in a (to put it mildly) negative way.

Moreover, some of them started watching TV shows originally recorded in English language...with German dubbing. I know, I know, that sounds crazy.

On the other hands, practically all of them have German spouses! :)