The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex Revision The countdown has begun!

Eyeshine

Gave up waiting for and trying to get the steam version to download, and found an alternative copy. So... stock DX:goty and DX:r = not impressed, Vanilla 'Theif:the dark project' is 2 years older and superior. I has thought that this "HD update/Revision" was supposed to be a complete overhaul, but the after seeing the horibly low-poly/textured Ai in the intro and then 5 mins of gameplay was enough to seal its fate.

Maybe this version will be more promising, not holding my breath...

- http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?172678-PC-Deus-Ex-Ultimate-G.O.T.Y.-HD-Edition-2012-v1.2-BiLiNGUAL-2001-2-40-GB

<_<

I reached UNATCO and even hell's kitchen.This mod is more like a texture pack with a few objects thrown here and there and minor geometry changes,it would be ok if it wasnt for distribution policy

WOW, Shadowhide not bashing for the sake of bashing! :D You're right mate, right? :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Just dropping by to tell that I think this mod is actually very, very good.

I am only three hours in, but they did not only improve on visuals, they also changed gameplay and a lot of content.

How?

Let me put it this way:

I played through the original quite a couple of times and think of me as almost an "expert", who knows almost everaything in that game.

So, for the sake of making it maximally valuable for playing through it again, they should have, from my pont of view, offered better visuals and - in a interesting, fitting way -

additional content, that while making me recognizing all the places again (and feeling "homely") at the same time offering new possibilities, areas to explore, items and

even a few new game mechanics to explore.

I think, at least for now, they have delivered about perfectly on that.

A few examples:

Therequite a few new areas, new details and items just only at UNATCO HQ.

Offices have been improved, new secrets installed etc.

Also, I am quite sure on "realistic" has been an enjoyable rise in difficulty:

For example, I feel enemies spot you faster, wall-mounted grenades are more difficult to pick off (they have more sensitivity and

go off much sooner).

From my opinion, up to the point I played, it appears to be a quite perfect way of re-enkindling the enjoyment of the game for people

who already know it well.

It is definitely much more than some visual boost and some new clutter thrown in, I think they indeed seem to have delivered a whole new polish

for an older game that improves on its original greatness and allow for a lot of fun "rediscovering" Deus Ex.

As it has always been, the first mission was a bit of a difficult thing in terms of motivation and recognizing how great this game is, and the mod

seems to be the same - in first mission I thought "OK, good, but is that all?" - but then it gets better and better and better and...

Just so you know what to expect from it by my opinion - just like the original, do not just taste the first bit, but let it sink in - soon you will be

drawn in like then in the original.

Edited by Outlooker
  • Like 3

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

Someone posted download for an Revision.exe which Launched directly to Revision and didnt have the functions of Kenties executable. That's the one that worked for me, but I can't find it now.,

Not that I want to play the part pooper, but are you sure that's legal? I mean, if the people doing the mod intended it to be distributed on Steam, I highly doubt it's meant to be used without it. Edited by chakkman

At the risk of sounding entltled, I absolutely dislike the complete lack of support for non steam users.

I know that there are workarounds but they seem to have slight issues. And what about possible future updates? Will you be able to get these outside Steams patch service?

Not that I want to play the part pooper, but are you sure that's legal? I mean, if the people doing the mod intended it to be distributed on Steam, I highly doubt it's meant to be used without it.

So much hate at the Revision devs don't think a lot of people care, someone posted this on GOG,

We are officially Steam-exclusive at the request of Square Enix; we have no plans to release an official non-Steam installer. We're aware of successful efforts to play the mod through non-Steam copies of Deus Ex, though we can't make any promises or suggestions about these efforts. However you end up playing it, we hope you enjoy our work!

don't know if it's true but it really annoyed a lot of people and that encourages those with the skills to make a non-steam version of Revision and bundle it with DE just to piss squenix off, the devs won't disobey SE, probably in fear of them pulling the mod from the web / issuing a cease and desist.

Maybe SE don't like GOG, although they do sell DE-1-2, because surely if SE allowed GOG and all sellers of DE to host Revision then they would sell a lot more copies of DE, steam may have the monopoly on game sales but it's not the only company, customer loyalty works both ways, some game companies just don't seem to care if they piss off their past and possible future customers and are only interested in the fast buck, if you want to reduce people pirating your game then it pays not to really piss them off.

Edited by Eyeshine

Not that I want to play the part pooper, but are you sure that's legal? I mean, if the people doing the mod intended it to be distributed on Steam, I highly doubt it's meant to be used without it.

If using custom launchers or a legal DRM free exe to replace it is illegal, then using custom launchers or the legal DRM free exe you can get from patching the game to replace the game's exe is illegal too. So no, those methods are legal. It's really more of an oversight, or maybe even intentionally not adding more DRM beyond the exe.

Anyway, it's frankly obvious at this point that it was a ploy by SE to get more copies sold for some profits as well as a publicity stunt to gain some popularity. I think the developers were trapped into releasing it only on Steam after they signed the deal by SE. But it's not a big deal now as there seems to be more issues with the mod than just the Steam exclusivity.

Also hello everyone!

• Like 1

Anyway, it's frankly obvious at this point that it was a ploy by SE to get more copies sold for some profits as well as a publicity stunt to gain some popularity. I think the developers were trapped into releasing it only on Steam after they signed the deal by SE.

Spot on, as I mentioned previously - we almost got roped into something similar but collectively decided to back away.

I'm living on the edge alright

A few examples:

Therequite a few new areas, new details and items just only at UNATCO HQ.

Offices have been improved, new secrets installed etc.

You forgot to mention that new details are either unnoticeable or plain silly like NSF terrorist dummy with throwing knifes and later on a crowbar stuck into it

Proceed with caution!

Gave up waiting for and trying to get the steam version to download, and found an alternative copy. So... stock DX:goty and DX:r = not impressed, Vanilla 'Theif:the dark project' is 2 years older and superior. I has thought that this "HD update/Revision" was supposed to be a complete overhaul, but the after seeing the horibly low-poly/textured Ai in the intro and then 5 mins of gameplay was enough to seal its fate.

Did we play the same games? Thief Dark Project wasn't exactly pretty even when it came out. And Deus Ex came out later, and wasn't exactly ugly at that time. And Revision is quite an improvement.

Ok, so hating on game makes it ok to rip the devs off, point taken. :P

Yep, as I said 'Don't think a lot of people care', especially when you have already bought at least one copy of the game (two copies in my case) and you are expected to buy another just for a mod, you can say that the devs are being ripped off but a lot of people think that they are the one's being ripped off with only a steam release and are not prepared to give more money to SE for the same game.

If using custom launchers or a legal DRM free exe to replace it is illegal, then using custom launchers or the legal DRM free exe you can get from patching the game to replace the game's exe is illegal too. So no, those methods are legal. It's really more of an oversight, or maybe even intentionally not adding more DRM beyond the exe.

Anyway, it's frankly obvious at this point that it was a ploy by SE to get more copies sold for some profits as well as a publicity stunt to gain some popularity. I think the developers were trapped into releasing it only on Steam after they signed the deal by SE. But it's not a big deal now as there seems to be more issues with the mod than just the Steam exclusivity.

Also hello everyone!

Welcome!

I would've played the remake if I liked Deus Ex. But I own it on Steam for more years. I'm not sure that Eidos will profit much on a 5 dollar game. But, it's their right I guess.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Y you can say that the devs are being ripped off but a lot of people think that they are the one's being ripped off with only a steam release and are not prepared to give more money to SE for the same game.

How is someone ripped off, when the devs are releasing a FREE mod, and decide to make it a mod for the GOTY edition on Steam, which is probably one of the most bought versions of the game these days? And why can't those people just chill, and wait and see what the devs will be coming up with after this massive shitstorm, after having waited for 8 years for this mod? There's nothing wrong with the devs, there's something severely wrong with the people these days. No wonder, the internet is a nice platform to voice any little meh or bleh or BUAHAHA :mellow: , which the people have every day.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 2

How is someone ripped off,

Some people feel ripped off because, I'll say it again, many people like myself have non steam versions of the game, I've bought the disks and a GOG version, I've paid SE twice for the game already and don't intend to give them more money for the same game just to play the mod.

And why can't those people just chill, and wait and see what the devs will be coming up with after this massive shitstorm

That's the internet for you, people feel aggrieved about something and make a point of saying so, meh, get over it, it doesn't matter that the mod was free, the devs built up expectation for eight years for Revision and then in many peoples minds they were let down by a steam only release, so yeah, not surprisingly, a lot of people were pissed.

After having waited for 8 years for this mod

Eight long years in which time the devs had more than enough time to ensure the mod was compatible with steam, GOG, etc, from the first day release, but choose to only use steam versions of the game because as others have said, it's obvious that they were under pressure from SE to only use steam, if they didn't like that arrangement then they should have backed away from the deal with SE like the devs of The Dark Mod did when they were in a similar situation,

there's something severely wrong with the people these days.

Why, because they complain about having already bought a game and don't want to buy it again just to use a mod, what is so severely wrong about that?

No one forced the devs to make Revision and I'm sure they were well aware that a steam only release would piss a lot of people off and expected some criticism, which they got, I doubt they were surprised by it.

Edited by Eyeshine
  • Like 1

Chakkman, I'm tired of this drama over the Steam exclusivity thing, not partly because it's overshadowing any discussion of the actual quality of the mod. Let's not blame people for not wanting to rebuy a game they already own, or getting disappointed when the mod they were waiting for ended up being Steam "exclusive" at the last moment. I would definitely not support such behaviour by modders in the future, if they want to make a mod Steam exclusive fine, but at least clear it up early so that the expectations of their fans are not dashed, ala Just Cause 2 multi player's developers. They were being very dodgy about this question and this kept people in the dark, so naturally they got upset about it. We know it was because of the SE deal and NDA, but it still could have been avoided. Also just so you know, the Steam version of Deus Ex is the least functional, it doesn't have Steam cloud, achievements or anything, it's just the original game with a DRM exe. So don't assume that is the version everyone would get.

As for your response to bikerdude, no Deus Ex was not considered good looking at the time. Its graphics were criticized even by some positive reviews back then. As for Revision "improving" them, that is quite subjective, personally I don't like the overdone lighting and pitch darkness I'm seeing in many screenshots, and it seems they screwed up the stealth gameplay by implementing Human Renovation for the base gameplay wrongly, as in enemies somehow become psychic and turn around even when you're crouching behind them, and in other situations they seem worse at detecting you than in the original.

• Like 1

no Deus Ex was not considered good looking at the time. Its graphics were criticized even by some positive reviews back then.

Exactly :D

• Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.