The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Golden Skull by Sotha (2015/10/24)

Sotha

The Golden Skull  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• 1 (Poor)
    • 2 (Could be better)
    • 3 (Average)
    • 4 (Good)
    • 5 (Great)
  2. 2. Gameplay

• 1 (Poor)
    • 2 (Could be better)
    • 3 (Average)
    • 4 (Good)
    • 5 (Great)
  3. 3. Halloween

• 1 (Poor)
    • 2 (Could be better)
    • 3 (Average)
    • 4 (Good)
    • 5 (Great)

Now this is one I really liked! Very nice work there.

I didn't actually realize this was a scary mission when I downloaded it. So once I opened that locked door in the basement and saw Emily dead then waking up as a zombie, I certainly jumped back a few centimeters :D What added a lot to the creepiness is how she keeps crying then proceeds upstairs to kill everyone... yay for AI vs AI moments in TDM!

On the downside, that left me expecting something special to happen when I got the golden skull as well; I only had to press a convenient button to open the case, got the skull without issue, then headed back to the starting point and that was it. One neat thing would have been if everyone in the house turned into zombies or skeletons once I picked it up, and all torches became green or blue flames.

• 2 months later...

This mission was truly scary! :o:D

What a surprise in the basement, oh my God!

So cute the voice when it's found Emily, emotional.

And it's absolutely a game surprise when Zomby-Emily came up and creates a mess with guards!

Fantastic!

Thank you Sotha for such a brillant mission and gameplay!

Edited by Ladro

Good work Sotha!

This is a very small but rewarding playthrough. Very tight spaces and good patrols, lots of timing required, but also used the good ole fashioned blackjack each AI one at a time and then hide them. I put all the bodies in the starting room and in the "hidden area". No guards visited either of those places to find my stash of bodies.

The skull I had to keep sneaking up and turning one tumbler at a time because I didn't have enough time between patrols to unlock it in one sitting. That was the most tense moment of the mission. :ph34r:

I've played PREY, so the surprise with Emily was very fun, but not a twist I haven't encountered before. Have you played PREY Sotha?

I initially knocked out the house master, but after I saw what he did to Emily, on my way back through the house I put an arrow through his head. while he was unconscious. :D

Thanks Sotha!

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I don't have the time to reply to all of them, but I do read every comment that appears in my FM threads.

I'm glad people have enjoyed the mission so much.

@Deadlove, nope, I haven't played Prey, but

I know it is somewhat common plot twist that the hero arrives too late to save their loved ones in a dark and gritty setting.

Walking Dead TV series sees that a lot, for example.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked the level, it proves that speed build doesn't inherently have to be bad.

Wonderful sense of speed was possible here, and emphasized due to a lack of great hiding spots.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

• 3 weeks later...

This was a really tense, busy little mission which I enjoyed. I haven't played TDM for a while so I wanted something like this to tune back in. I voted poor on the Halloween theme because I didn't know the context. I think it was a contest so if the brief was for the mission to be halloween-themed then poor is about right even though there was nothing much wrong with what 'horror' there was.

I reasonably ghosted this and it was very tough because it was so busy in such small spaces and few shadows - ghosted all except right at the end (see spoiler.)

Very enjoyable small mission I finished in 1h 13m (not counting reloads so probably a couple of hours.) The stats are impressive too.

I thought the secret door was unfair because I could see no lock to pick and so left it in search of a lever/clue/info etc. It should have had a separate lock hidden in that area imo.

The end was unfair because I don't recall any clue hint warning about her being 'mad'. I'd forgotten by then about the halloween thing. First time I just went round hoovering up all the loot in her cell and got it all but kicked over a goblet at the end which I think alerted her so I hit quickload. This time she alerted even though I thought I was quiet and had hardly got any loot. So, not having a sword, I ran for it and she followed me upstairs where I hid and watched her attack his lordship (serve him right!) but she was eventually killed. So, major alert not really my fault and I had a devil of a time trying to get out but did in the end!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say, I liked this one a lot. AI patrols were mostly nicely plotted and timed, and the 'plot' of the mission, as it were, was rather nice, and it gave me a reason to pluck a broadhead into the housemaster and his floozie in bed. My only complaints were that the elite guard's patrol was too short, and considering how long it starts to take to pick the lock on the case, it just ended up feeling quite unforgiving. It's a lot easier to turn out of the lights in the room, wait for the guard to come in, and start shooting him from across the room until he finally keels over. And since I mentioned lockpicking, I have to say, there's just a few too many tumblers in most of the locks, in my opinion, with each door taking perhaps too long to crack open.

Still, its a good map. Bravo. :D

[OT]

Aedan, what about that typical industrial/crossbreed/D&B avatar? :D Is so, nice to see a fellow here! If not, nice to see a new taffer :D

[/OT]

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 1 year later...

Really great mission, Sotha!

A bit short, but still great.

Also, that moment when you find the guy's girlfriend is sad. But terrifying!

I didn't have a sword or any weapons on me, so I couldn't kill her. I slipped out of the dungeon without her noticing me, but looks like she followed me upstairs and then she proceeded to murder everyone.

Talk about sweet revenge lol.