The Dark Mod Forums

In-game cutscenes

Springheel

I've looked over the wiki article on cutscenes, but there's a specific thing I'd like to do and don't quite know how.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Cutscenes_Part_2:_Splines_and_Camera_Movement#Camera_Movement_-_Pan

I'd like to have a single camera shot that pans left for a few seconds, then pans right back to the original angle, without any cuts.

My assumption is that I should start with a target_null_1 entity in the first spot I want the camera to look, then somehow tell the camera to switch to focus on target_null_2 for X seconds, then go back to target_null_1.

The wiki doesn't demonstrate that exact use. It might be obvious for someone who knows some scripting, but that someone is not me. Any advice?

Glue the target_null on a mover that moves on a NURBS curve that moves back and forth?

I cannot remember how to do it, but I did some mover/nurbs in the openin scene of Knighton manor. I moved the camera on the curve and kept the target still. You just need to do the opposite.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've looked over the wiki article on cutscenes, but there's a specific thing I'd like to do and don't quite know how.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Cutscenes_Part_2:_Splines_and_Camera_Movement#Camera_Movement_-_Pan

I'd like to have a single camera shot that pans left for a few seconds, then pans right back to the original angle, without any cuts.

My assumption is that I should start with a target_null_1 entity in the first spot I want the camera to look, then somehow tell the camera to switch to focus on target_null_2 for X seconds, then go back to target_null_1.

The wiki doesn't demonstrate that exact use. It might be obvious for someone who knows some scripting, but that someone is not me. Any advice?

The wiki describes attaching a target_null to the head of a walking guard, and the scripts necessary for the camera to follow this target as it moves.

The only difference between that and what you want is that you need to set up a mover that moves along a path from A to B, then back to A.

Bind the target_null to the mover and you're good to go.

So it has to be the same target that moves from one point to the other? Can the target_null be teleported or does it have to move on a path?

I want it to pan, but quickly. It's supposed to simulate the player looking ahead, then noticing something off to the left, turning to look at it for a moment, then turning back to look ahead.

Use a nurbs curve to attache the target_null to or attach the target to an invisible door.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 4 weeks later...

A related question...can the player be detected or attacked while a cinematic is playing?

A related question...can the player be detected or attacked while a cinematic is playing?

Yes.

If the cinematic is at the end of the mission (and I've done two of them now) you can avoid the problem by putting the actors on team 0.

If the cinematic is during a mission, the player has to be close enough to hear what's being said, so you have to be creative in putting the player close enough and hiding him at the same time. Perhaps behind a wall of barrels or hidden away in the rafters above the scene. Remember that it doesn't matter where the player is wrt what's rendered; the camera is providing the screen view.

Rendering doesn't come into play because the actors don't see what's rendered anyway. They're reacting to your entity's presence.

If a conversation is controlling the actions during a cinematic, greetings are turned off for the actors. So you don't have to worry about friendly actors greeting you. But if the camera is rolling and a conversation isn't in control, beware of the possibilities of greetings that you don't want in the scene.

If being detected is only dependent on the entity: is it possible to add a patch to this entity, with the not-see-through side facing the actors? That way the entity is not seen by the actors, but the camera can still see through the patch.

Excellent idea. Just make sure the actors can't walk into the patch.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

You don't need to "add a patch to [the player entity]". Just place the patch between the actors and the spot where you've placed the player.

And make sure that any cameras you use can't see the front of the patch while rolling.

You don't need to "add a patch to [the player entity]". Just place the patch between the actors and the spot where you've placed the player.

And make sure that any cameras you use can't see the front of the patch while rolling.

That's why I thouoght about attaching the patch on the palyer entity. That way it would move along with the entity: You would need a smaller patch and the chance of getting to see the front is smaller.

That's why I thouoght about attaching the patch on the palyer entity. That way it would move along with the entity: You would need a smaller patch and the chance of getting to see the front is smaller.

The player doesn't move during a cutscene.

The camera takes over painting the screen, and cameras can be made to move.

Perhaps I should clarify something:

We use the term cutscene in three different ways:

1 - The game plays a pre-rendered movie. Typically used at the beginning or end of a mission to provide setup information or to wrap things up (or both).

2 - The scene is controlled by a conversation and/or scripting that uses cameras, and prevents the player from having any control or being able to move on his own. If required, the script teleports the player around during the scene, to keep him near the action. An example of this is the cutscene at the end of Somewhere Above the City.

3 - The scene is controlled by a conversation, but the player is still allowed to move. No cameras are involved. This is a loose use of the term cutscene, because you're not really cutting away from anything. This type has been used multiple times in our missions.

Perhaps I should clarify something:

We use the term cutscene in three different ways:

1 - The game plays a pre-rendered movie. Typically used at the beginning or end of a mission to provide setup information or to wrap things up (or both).

2 - The scene is controlled by a conversation and/or scripting that uses cameras, and prevents the player from having any control or being able to move on his own. If required, the script teleports the player around during the scene, to keep him near the action. An example of this is the cutscene at the end of Somewhere Above the City.

3 - The scene is controlled by a conversation, but the player is still allowed to move. No cameras are involved. This is a loose use of the term cutscene, because you're not really cutting away from anything. This type has been used multiple times in our missions.

You are right, the term "cutscene" is quite ambiguous. I was currently thinking in was of "2". I was not sure, if it is the player that is moved, when cameras are used. Good to know, that he doesn't...