The Dark Mod Forums

What 5 games...?

Deadlove

Which 5 games besides TDS,TMA, TSP , TDM...are made you appreciate gaming and sucked untold hours of your life away and you loved every second of it. Games we may as well call works of art.

1)Doom
2)Quake
3)SS2
4)HEXEN
5)Bioshock

Edited by Deadlove

Works of art aren't necessarily big games. But I'll stick to the games that made a big impression on me, and made me spend a lot of time on them.

1) Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant: my formative CRPG experience. W7 is not just huge and devilishly complex, it is also memorable for Lost Guardia, a low-tech fantasy world under invasion by multiple interstellar factions looking for a magical artifact that could be used to create worlds. From giant moths to musket-wielding rhino-men and cheerleaders on red rocket sleds with lasers (bless 'em!), Wizardry has it.

2) Master of Magic: the best of the 4X games. Town-building, armies, heroes, spell research and fantastic creatures.

3) Unreal: in a game about killing things with rocket launchers, razor blades and bioslime, you find... beauty? That has always been the odd, compelling thing about Unreal. The original campaign has an amazing sense of mystery, melancholia and discovery. Unreal also had scale, and creative level design, which you can also see in the various UT maps. PlusnUnreal gave us Unreal Tournament, the multiplayer FPS game for those of us who did not have a network connection.

4) Blood: the weapons are creative and varied, there are huge levels full of interactive bits, destructible terrain, tons of secrets, and amazing features you could never expect in a modern FPS. I have not even delved into the levels made by the mod community yet.

5) Deus Ex: it is Deus Ex. Like Thief, when it came out, we thought it would be a stepping stone towards a new generation of immersive games. Instead, it became a sort of high water mark that has not been equalled, or even approached.

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

OK, I had to put 6.

1) Morrowind: Did almost everything you can do in this game.

2) Deus Ex: Still one of my alltime favorite games.

3) World of Warcraft (Yes, I feel ashamed!)

4) Witcher series: For obvious reasons, seeing that it is the greates RPG of all time. ;)

5) Quake 3 Arena: Trickjumping and fragging. I was a huge nerd.

6) Battlefield 2 and 3: Uber-Sniper! ;)

1. Deus Ex (Best Shooter of all times imho)

Morrowind/Oblivion (I list them as one as they are basically the same game ;) )

Euro Truck Simulator 2 (played it for 300 hours or so, so it must be good)

Zelda (still the best adventure game series of all times)

Donkey Kong (on Gameboy, wasted thousands of hours with it)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

A really tough question! This made me notice, that I have played quite a lot of games in my life, but these should be the most influential. Not necessarily the best, but with great influence on me:

1) Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos -> first RPG I ever played, that led to me being a huge RPG fan (computer, as well as pen and paper, even a bit of live roleplaying) and later on to the Elder Scrolls and every other RPG I sunk tons of hours into.

2) Zelda - Ocarina of Time -> Actually, the whole series, but this one is still my favourite from the series.

3) Regarding stealth and excluding the Thief series, I'd say Splinter Cell -> This game taught me to ghost missions, as you actually got worse scores if you interacted with guards in any way. After this game, I started to dislike blackjacking in Thief missions

4) Alien vs Predator 2 -> I loved wall walking as an Alien. Although many people (playing or watching) got motion sickness from it, I loved the freedom it gave you.

I don't think I can name a good number 5. I have played a lot of games, all of which had their influence. I played played a couple of shooters, real time strategy games, point and click adventures, and RPGs that all were a lot of fun and definitely influenced me, but I think the ones stated had the greatest influence on my taste in video games.

In no particular order:

Xcom: ufo defence (best strategy, imho.)

L4D2 (played a lot with friends)

DayZSA (played a lot with friends)

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (the only game I play on my smartphone.)

Star control 2 (this game had it all and they don't make 'em like they used to nowadays.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

1. gothic 1,2

2. morrowind more than oblivion

3. total annihilation / kingdoms

4. dungeon keeper 2

5. some older tomb rider ones

cant really say deus ex since i only finished it 2 or 3 times. and anno 1602. probably i will remember some other ones that could go to that list.

Edited by Noordung
  • Like 1

Not necessary for the best games I ever played but for the impact those games had to me at the time I played it:
- Dungeon Master (for inspiring me writing solo RPG adventures back in the 90's days)
- Silent Hill 2 (for the most intense and surreal horror experience)
- Gothic 1/2 (for the first RPG experience with not only interesting and unusual NPC's but also having quiet complex AI routines. And for the first kind of open world in a RPG game I've seen)
- Vampire Bloodlines (for the deep atmosphere, the awesome music, and the mature themes being featured)
- Max Payne, all three (for the most intense shooter, production values and the most coolest anti-hero shooter protagonist)
Honorable mentions:
Baldurs Gate 2 (for being my most memorable RPG and the NPC interactions)
The Witcher, all three (for best RPG's and Geralt)

Edited by fllood
  • Like 1

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Myst, what I consider the first real game that I played, spent hours on a Megadrive playing Road Rash and Echo the dolphin etc, bought a PS1 and first game was Myst and it was a game changer for me with legendary music and sounds, spent a lot of time on Myst games usually because every time you find a door it's bloody locked in typical adventure game style!

Tomb Raider 1, played it on PS1 and PC, the 3D was brilliant for it's time and had a huge influence on many 3D action-adventure games that followed, the gameplay, ease of control made it a pleasure to play and the music by Nathan McCree is iconic, so atmospheric that I play the music quite often, the music only played in specially-selected moments for dramatic effect, walking into an enormous underground tomb and the music comes in with the solo oboe the feeling of wonderment and awe was glorious.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Omaha beach D-Day landing.
Waiting to get off the landing craft was so intense, you could feel the fear and I died many times trying to get up the beach in all the mayhem, you would get behind cover and you just didn't dare move, even with today's graphics I think it would be hard to convey the shear terror of it all any better

Crysis, My favourite FPS, I built a new PC to play it and it's a game I often go back to.

Skyrim, I've not played many big role playing games but I saw some vids of modded skyrim and was hooked, the vanilla Skyrim isn't brilliant and the game has it's issues but I got into modding it and spent the last two years on it, I also built another new PC so I could play with an ENB mod and get decent FPS,spent way too much time on it.

So much time, so much money, so many memories.

Edited by Eyeshine

Loving the responses!

Seems DEUS EX is an all around loved & appreciated game. And quite a few hold it in such high regard that it made their top 5 lists!

I appreciate people posting lists of games that are dear to their hearts, regardless of their popularity or fan reception.

For me, Skyrim & Deus Ex were close runners up, but didn't make the cut. Like Orbs, I consider Skyrim, Morrorwind & Oblivion basically the same game.

Melan, BLOOD is a great game! Shame the sequel was such a disaster. 3D Realms had some great games with the Build Engine including Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior.

HEXEN had the most impact on me, but I've been a follower and consider HERETIC, HEXEN II and HERETIC II all very worthy too.

I've played most of the games here, but the real fun is seeing what my fellow stealth fanatics game when not doing the TDM dance!

Keep the lists coming!

Edited by Deadlove
  • Like 1

Technically I might count interactive fiction and P&C adventures, but they're not typical games.

So I might say Tomb Raider 2, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Mirror's Edge, and Stalker. Oh, and Skyrim.

An early game that made a big impression was Another World.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I guess I have to list the games I've probably played the most hours of, barring online multiplayer games:

Thief: The Dark Project (I didn't see it mentioned in OP :P )

Total Annihilation (best RTS ever imo, though Blizzard made some great ones too)

Oblivion (just so immersive! and a great modding community as well)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R series (atmosphere and addictive RPG hybrid features)

Diablo II (doesn't need explanation I think ^_^)

Freelancer (just loved the SP campaign of this game for some reason, I still play it every once in a while)

But on the topic of nostalgia I must say the old Doom clones did soak up a loooot of my time as a prepubescent gamer back in the mid 90's. Doom, Doom II, Duke Nukem 3D, Heretic, Hexen, Dark Forces, Shadow Warrior, Blood (does this one count? can't remember), that's a slice of my childhood right there ^^

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

The Witcher
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Thief - of course
Red Faction 2 ? I was amazed to see that the internet thought it was a bad game. But all games in the series basically are to my liking.
The best antagonist in a combination of Hitler and Stalin in RF2. Red Faction in general is pretty underrated. Only game series that doesn't lie about full destruction. Here's a good demonstration:

Also because Nordic Games updated Guerrilla and removed Games for Windows Live. Who does that to old games anymore?
L.A. Noire I will always promote this one. One of the few attempts to bring something new as a genre to video games in the last years.
A good detective with real-world issues.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Only four I can think of: -

Homeworld

Battlefield 1942

Riven (what I played of it. Loved loved loved the atmosphere, hate switching puzzles)

Dark Souls

Just started playing Deus Ex for the first time ever though, so that should make up the quota once I get into it.

EDIT: Miasmata. Only one of the most amazing games I've ever played and I completely forgot about it.

Edited by simplen00b

1) Anvil of Dawn

2) XCOM: UFO Defense

3) Silent Hills 1-4 (they all rank equally in this context, though 4 is controversially my favorite)

4) Icewind Dale (and all the other classic Bioware RPGs, really)

5) Unreal Tournament '99

Edited by Airship Ballet

BLASPHEMY!!!!

Well, Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind are much close to the same games than Daggerfall or Arena. :-P

And you'll want to burn me to the stake when I say that I think Skyrim is best of the three! :-D

The games I mentioned in my original post, all their sequels are probably just as dear to my heart. I tried to stick with original titles.

Some would argue SS2 and Bioshock are the same game...but, as close as they are to one another. They are as far apart from each other as DOOM 1/2/Final Doom is to DOOM 3. Bioshock Infinite is about as close to being a sequel to Bioshock as Bioshock is as close to being a sequel to SS2. Therefore, I separated them.

It was HARD to decide which of the Raven games is my favorite between Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II and Heretic II. I was very excited when idTech4 came out to see if there would be some type of medieval fantasy shooter made by Raven but instead they did the Wolfenstein remake. I think the real creative minds that had the thing for fantasy and kick ass games were the ones who left the company and made PREY (Human Head Studios). Such a shame we never got an idTech4 offering from the Raven team digging deeper into the lore of the Serpent Riders.

Raven did do some good work with Quake IV. Wolfenstein was fun, Singularity was okay. But it seemed ever since they were acquired by Activision the company never was able to put out a product on par with the gems that the original Heretic/Hexen series obtained.

Btw, torture me horribly, but I liked all games I played from Ion Storm, the ones applauded by critics (Deus Ex, Deadly Shadows), and I also liked the ones that got shafted by most critics (Anachronox, Daikatana).

I'm a sucker for the idTech engines, another reason I am such a sucker for TDM.

Edited by Deadlove

My list seems to contain far more puzzle games than adventures or RPGs... Curious...

1. Thief series (naturally)
2. Oblivion/Skyrim
3. Zork Nemesis/Grand Inquisitor
4. Journeyman Project series
5. Myst series/Uru
6. Doom I & II

1. Deus Ex

2. Fallout 3 & New Vegas

3. Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay

4. Gothic 1 (didn't like part 2 so much for some reason)

5. Race07, iRacing (nothing better than online racing once in a while :))

Like most of the stuff mentioned above too, Tomb Raider, Elder Scrolls, System Shock, all good too. Looks like taste isn't so different after all.

Well 5 games..its difficult when you play so many games buts let see. Had started as RTS player.

Apart from Thief games...and thats the only Games that i control them and not vice-versa.

1. Age of Imperires .............i have a 486 so the game plays slow, when i upgrade and the game get fast, i quick. That was strange.

1.1 . Close combat series....

2. Homeworld ....... i get the remaster edition but dint play yet.

3. The begining of Multiplayer. Castle Wolfestein...and Medal of Honor. Both single and Multiplayer

4. Well has fan of D&D all of them.....but NWN1 Multiplayer alot......that was call modules or....i dont remember now.

5. WoW.....Well i try alot MMO but WoW i dont know, i was play has a Warlock and im still play...i was never good, im geting old and outruning everytime, but i just cant stopt play that Shit. Dont ask...

And the GTA Vice City...for me the true GTA game.

Edited by Capela