The Dark Mod Forums

Is it possible to use boldies in posable positons in DR?

Deadlove

Like would need?

Example. ..

Guy passed out in bathroom floor with vomit and the toilet bucket would knocked over with piss and shut spilled all over him, the floor some walk and door while hes passed out sleeping in it. Add in body set up arrangement, add various bottles in difderent directions, vomit and blood, how? Decals?

To spice it up. I have many other scenarios

The wiki points to this post http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9082-newbie-darkradiant-questions/?p=265650

Yes, here you go...

• Save a backup copy of the map because doom rewrites your map and fixes ALL ragdolls.
  • In game, drag the ragdoll around until you get a nice position.
  • In the console enter saveRagdolls
  • doom rewrites your map.
  • When you replay the map ALL ragdolls will now have position spawnargs added for every joint. These are WORLD coordinates so you cannot thereafter easily move that posed ragdoll elsewhere in the editor. I mean, you can still drag it around in-game and use saveRagdolls again but you can't just take a saved ragdoll in the editor and move it to the left - it will still start at the saveRagdoll position (you can fiddle with the spawnargs.)

Can you make the posed ragsolls non sous so the player can't disturb them / would they still be considered by the program as aluve or ...?

No they're not "alive". Ragdolls are not AI any more. Technically they are animated entities -- like waving flags -- but with no animations or scripts running. You can probably set them to non-solid but a better idea would be to cover them in a clip brush so that the player and AI step over them naturally even if they can't be moved.

Another related question: If you define the coordinates for joints via the spawnarg, does the ragdoll stay in this position or will it fall to the ground? I am trying to set up a dungeon and would like to have a dead body hanging on handcuffs on a wall, so if the ragdolls keep the coordinates, it would most likely suffice to define the coordinates of the wrists. If the ragdoll is just set into the level at the specified coordinates, but after that behaves according to physics, I would have to attach the wrists somehow. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Edited by Destined

It seems you can't bind specific joints. You could try the "nodrop" "1" spawnarg (though I think it might interfere with player/ragdoll collisions), but fixing the wrists in place might be a problem unless embedding them in clip blocks or something works.

People have tried to make 'hanged' ragdolls for gallows, and I believe using an animation instead is now preferred.

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

@Destined: I think it's worth trying. After positioning it and saving the map, add "nodrop" "1" and "frobable" "0" and "solid" "0", and if the player can still bump into it, then add a clip brush.

@VanishedOne: the gallows experiment you linked failed because it was relying on the game's physics to hold the ragdoll in place. That's probably the wrong approach. I think nodrop 1 will stop the physics kicking in at all as long as the ragdoll isn't activated or disturbed in some way.

I'm not sure how you'll get the ragdoll into position though. The grabber probably won't let you drag a body upright up a wall.. (unless you reduce its mass maybe??).

EDIT: I knew I'd messed with this before. A related thread here, about getting a ragdoll into a position that isn't normally allowed by its joints.

Edited by SteveL
  • Like 1

@Destined: I think it's worth trying. After positioning it and saving the map, add "nodrop" "1" and "frobable" "0" and "solid" "0", and if the player can still bump into it, then add a clip brush.

The "nodrop" spawnarg is definitely good to know. I would have made the ragdoll not frobable anyway, maybe not non-solid, but I will see, if this is necessary.

I'm not sure how you'll get the ragdoll into position though. The grabber probably won't let you drag a body upright up a wall.. (unless you reduce its mass maybe??).

EDIT: I knew I'd messed with this before. A related thread here, about getting a ragdoll into a position that isn't normally allowed by its joints.

That is why I asked, if it is possible to attach the wrists to something. I would have attached them to the shackles and hoped, that the rest of the body would snap to the correct position. The thread you mentioned shows, that this should actually happen, when the coordinates are given, but only if the "nodrop" spawnarg is not active. If it is not possible to attach the wrists to the shackles, I have one other idea: I could enter the coordinates for the wrists and then run a script on map start, that waits for 0.1 s (or another very short amount of time) so that the rest of the body can snap to right position. After that, the script adds the "nodrop" "1" to the ragdoll to prevent it from falling. But this is another thing I would have to test first. Maybe I will just work on the rest of the level and come back to this point later. It is not really essential that the body hangs there. Just thought it would fit...

How do ropes get attached to things? Aren't they ragdolls?

Yes, I guess they are articulated models too and they hang stably.

That is why I asked, if it is possible to attach the wrists to something. I would have attached them to the shackles and hoped, that the rest of the body would snap to the correct position. The thread you mentioned shows, that this should actually happen, when the coordinates are given, but only if the "nodrop" spawnarg is not active. If it is not possible to attach the wrists to the shackles, I have one other idea: I could enter the coordinates for the wrists and then run a script on map start, that waits for 0.1 s (or another very short amount of time) so that the rest of the body can snap to right position. After that, the script adds the "nodrop" "1" to the ragdoll to prevent it from falling. But this is another thing I would have to test first. Maybe I will just work on the rest of the level and come back to this point later. It is not really essential that the body hangs there. Just thought it would fit...

That could work, if they do work like ropes. But don't try adding "nodrop" after spawning, I'm pretty sure it'll have no effect. Instead use $RagdollName.setContents(0) to turn off the physics interactions after the body has settled.

• 1 month later...

So how to go about making a crucified rag doll if I can't make them stand up in game with "saveRagdolls" ?

Would it have to have its own static model already in crucifixion position inserted in DR and moved around?

I'm imagining a Builder crucified to the large metal Builder hammer.