The Dark Mod Forums

Crucible of Omens: Behind Closed Doors - by Bikerdude & the Crucible Team (updated 18/12/2015)

Bikerdude

So mission is great I like alternative paths very much, its big... But I get a lot of crashes and that really kills the fun. The other thing is loot. If you usually start with 100-300 loot where does all the loot go? I mean you have to have 5500 on expert. And it seems some textures in start of the map are a little buggy. I mean if you climb very high to where that ship steering wheel is (probably its there as some sort of mechanism for opening doors) and if you look down you get some funny things. Not even know if you should be able to climb there in first place. Sorry no photo as I forget to save it.

That is all for now, have to play more but just got another crash so I took some time to write this. Anyway keep up the good work.

No system is good enough my laptop stays cool all the time i play TDM ;)

Well not sure if i was high enough, that place was near inn. Just above the place with that man writing about how he watches hangings. Now that i read this topic through I think someone actually mention it here so i guess never mind about it.

And i have to say map is a big bonus for a mission.

There's a pipe you can climb to a roof that's near the roof with a ship wheel, as in the big double ship wheel on a wooden chassis TDM asset (normally you'd climb the pipe halfway for access to the second floor). The anamoly he's talking about is z-fighting in the walls there, which I saw too. (It happens when 2 brushes overlap.) I saw z-fighting a few times, but that was the biggest example since it was a whole wall.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

i5, 8gb ram im pretty sure that should be enough. besides game runs smooth when it crashes.

What GPU?

You have the latest version of BCD installed?

Please post your Darkmod.cfg

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

i5, 8gb ram im pretty sure that should be enough. besides game runs smooth when it crashes.

People are trying to help you!!!!! Please don't assume that you know more about this system than the people who have actively worked on it for the past decade.

Please answer Biker's question in full.

CPU:

GPU:

RAM:

HDD:

32/64 bit:

Version of Dark Mod:

Version of Mission:

There's a lot more that can go wrong than just having not enough ram or a too slow cpu.

These people will work really hard to get it working properly for you but that requires you to play along.

Thank you and have a good day and good luck.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

cpu I5-4210U

gpu R5 M255

ram 8GB

hdd 1TB

os WIN8.1 64 bit

vdm 2.03

vm i downloaded 2 days ago so i guess latest one.

will try do find model for hdd/ram if you need.

but problem is that i dont remember crashing during any other mission. except for that save game crush... but that is on all missions.

Edited by Noordung

• cpu I5-4210U

gpu R5 M255

vdm 2.03

vm i downloaded 2 days ago so i guess latest one.

• Thats CPU is a 1.7GHz with 2.7Ghz turbo mode, 2core with hyper threading and 3Mb of cache - so low to mid range.

The R5-M55 is about the same as a nVidia GT 640m (384 cores) and whats worse its ATi - so open GL perf on this GPU is going to suffer. How much ram for the GPU have assigned to it?

What is this..?

VM? are you running windows inside a virtual machine..? if so then no one your having an issue.

Some versions of that GPU have 1GB of RAM allocated. That should be enough as my GPU works with that but it's hard to account for driver efficiency.

If you don't set com_videoRam to let the engine know how much you have that can lead to dynamic allocation and crashes.

You can get your true RAM allocation using GPU-Z:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Other crashes can be caused by frequent quick-saves or saving at the wrong time near the card players (known 2.03 bug).

The "v" probably means version.

Try the image_downSize options here:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Getting_.22Malloc_Failure_for_.23.23.23.23.23.23.23.22_crash-to-desktop

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Congratulations everyone who worked on this and finally got this done. When reading the news feed on the campaign months ago, I almost got a burn out myself.. This must have been an awful lot of work. Really great to finally play this, and it really seems to keep all the promises.

I hardly started playing the mission, but I already want to leave some thoughts on this mission because otherwise I would probably forget what I want to say.

The intro video reminded me just how much cooler it is to watch a video than to click through 9 pages of mission text before starting the mission. I hope as many map makers as possible decide to do an intro video. The video itself was really great. I only found the quotation in the beginning (the content was really really good!) did look a bit plain and at the same time too colorful to me. A little bit more artistic and dark would be perfect in my taste. The narrator could have had a lower voice, but the way he narrated was great. The loading screen was exceptionally good. I can't describe why, it just created a really good atmosphere and I looked totally forward to the loading bar getting fuller and fuller. It also showed me that a good loading screen is really important for getting you into the mood.

As I said, I hardly played it yet, but so far it seems you really took inspiration from the first two Thief games, which I love. The introduction character (the protagonist talking and giving tips to the player) of this mission is far better than the first mission of Thief II. Do you even color the map with the current position? I only checked it once, but it looked like there are blue and yellow areas, just like the in TDP and TMA. If so, I love it. (Otherwise... also great map. ;) ). Also introducing new elements, like the loose stair steps, was really good, as were the voices of the characters. It also seems to me like recording distinct voice samples for a mission is crucial for getting you into the mood of the map. As for the performance, there was some slowing at times with my 6-year old 600€ laptop, but nothing that would have bothered me much.

So far, I'll continue playing ;)

Another thing... it really motivates me to start working on my map again after a long time. Even though I'm nooby, but I don't expect it'll look nearly like this. Still, it's inspiring.

Lovely lovely map. I've had to restart it because I'd found the exit too soon, and so I downloaded the update a couple or so of days ago, and my save game crashed TDM. Never mind, I went the other way around (anti-clockwise instead of clockwise), and ever so much was new!

However, now I've got a crashed save game :( It complains:

ERROR:idPhysics_AF::AddBody: a body with the name 'idMoveable_atdm:prop_single_card_376075280' already exists.

I guess I need to start again. Not so keen this time, I've done a good chunk of the map and am close to completing most of the objectives. Is there any workaround?

I know about the double quicksave trick, guess I'll have to reinstate it (it got dropped when I moved systems a while back).

P.S. There are several odd things about the new download:

1. It didn't appear in the in-game downloader, I had to go to the missions web page to download it.
  2. When I started the newly downloaded mission there were already a couple of save games, despite the fact I'd completely erased my fms/bcd directory
  3. My quicksave always appears twice in the save game list.
  4. It allowed me to load my old save game (was expecting a version mismatch message), but then crashed (I know this conflicts with what I said in #2 above, but I installed it twice).

For reference, I'm talking about the bcd.pk4 with md5 sum: ec697f91b7c0e0ca83d9352e91925d0b

Edited by Araneidae

I seem to have gone through a bit of a slump and not played anything for ages, probably because I had about 6 months of migraines and got out of the habit as I couldn't concentrate, haven't read a book for ages either, the headaches have passed and the doctors didn't find anything so it's being put down to age and my concentration is coming back yay.

Anyway I thought it was time to get back on the horse, so I've picked up this one.

And I have to say it's a beauty :D

Thanks to the team for the incredible amount of work you put in.

Thanks grayman, they weren't fun at all, I even had an MRI which thankfully didn't find anything.

This mission was wonderful, 6 hours 27 minutes on expert, 5972 loot which is a bit short of what's in there, sandman style, stealth score of 93 & I killed two AI, one by accident, one as I was pee'd off at them because they wouldn't KO after several attempts, so - room for improvement in my technique I think but not a bad start considering how rusty I am

I noticed a few holes in the scenery but nothing major, the AI killed by accident was KO'd while lying on a bed & fell into the bed making a hell of a racket which somehow killed them, another sleeping AI was KO'd on a bed & also fell into it but didn't die so not sure what happened there, next playthrough I'll take some pictures & post them so you know where these bits are, all in all an incredible effort & a beautiful beautiful mission, definitely in my top 10.

Thanks to everyone who contributed this was a blast.

Welcome back, Esme! Good to read you are better. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved