The Dark Mod Forums

Crucible of Omens: Behind Closed Doors - by Bikerdude & the Crucible Team (updated 18/12/2015)

Bikerdude

Guess i'm stuck then. :mellow: Unless there is some kind of switch, or anything i have missed. I will check on the mission objectives again, but apart from the ones which are done at the end of the mission,

like not killing Lazarova, not killing any civilians, and getting to the "extraction point",

i can't really see what i have missed.

Peanut gallery comment.

While the problem is deemed fixed in 2.0.4, the original release had workaround fixes that should work in both 2.0.3 and 2.0.4.

There were few glitches with the release so perhaps you have one of the original broken builds.

If you delete the mission and reinstall it via the in-game downloader, does your savegame work?

If so, can you reproduce the problem?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thanks for the tip. I did so, but the savegames won't work now... The Dark Mod always crashes, saying it doesn't work anymore, when i try to load one of the old savegames then. Well, unfortunate, but, finished the mission anyway.Was a really enjoyable mission btw, one of the best i've ever played. Will do the poll now.

It happens when you enter the exit area before you've finished all the objectives, presumably because the objective logic was borked; it registers as a permanent fail or the like. (So you'd need a savegame before you first entered.) It was reported by a number of people earlier in the thread, me included. I haven't replayed any newer version so I don't know if it got fixed.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It still happened to me playing the released version. I posted about it in this very thread, and chekkman just reported it again. Maybe a reversion slipped in.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

All the mirrors are have matched builds? Time for gnartsch to run his mission checker script to make sure?

Edit: The mirrors are good but the internal name has bcd.pk4 (which I just fixed).

Maybe the objective could be modified so the player has to frob a lever instead of walking into the room?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 month later...

This FM was amazing!

Oh, but did all the verticality and various means of entrance & egress make my heart sing. Entering an area one way, exiting via another, and possibly re-entering via a THIRD later on? Joy! I'm an avid explorer in games that allow it, and this FM was a lot of fun to explore. I'm not done yet, because at some point I'll have to go back and see if I can discover the 1426 in loot I wound up missing. I'm guessing it's not in that SW corner of the map, since there didn't seem to be a way there in this mission?

I also really liked how well placed much of the loot was!

That stash in the stairs? That sword behind a brick in the wall? Exciting to find these 'secrets', something I always loved in Thief. If only a 'secret discovered' sound could play!

I greatly enjoyed the architecture and overall design, it was all very visually pleasing. The only 'bugs' I recall specifically noticing were: bottles hovering a bit above the surface that they should be sitting on at a couple of locations in one particular cellar, and the inventory readable 'Servents Journal' should be 'Servant's Journal'. I noticed a few typos elsewhere (in journals and such, not counting the ones that had intentional literacy issues), but that's the only one that stuck with me, due to seeing it in my inventory over the course of the game.

I'm just so happy right now. After about a year away from all things Thief, I've now experienced Volta and the Stone, A House of Locked Secrets, and this gem. I feel really spoiled. You builders (the best kind of builders, FM/mod builders!) are so amazing, and I appreciate you so very much. Thank you. I really look forward to the continuation of this campaign!

Edited by Shaz
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So I haven't played in a while... after starting up some other mission and getting stuck in it I decided to try this Crucible of Omens which last time I was here (2 years ago?) was still in development if I'm correct. I am glad I opened this one because I thought initially that maybe I've had enough of taffin about in the dark mod universe and it seems I was wrong! This is a beautifully designed and crafted mission, using all the best of thief series tropes. The city is vast and sprawling, lots of vertical and horizontal movement allows to really appreciate the complexity and stunning visuals which occasionally caused framedrops on my new laptop but it didn't harm the experience as a whole. The story although rather typical, was very well executed and I immensely enjoyed it as a come back to the game.
Although you really have to start coming up with something fresh in terms of writting and story... I like Ulysses premise...(that's the FM I got stuck in). Other then that it is good to see the game is still getting updates and developing. This is truly outstanding that all this work was done by some crazy fans and for the crazy fans of the thief series ;) Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Excellent mission - perhaps one of the best that could be made for TDM!

A question - after I finished playing I uninstalled the mission and removed the save games before remembering I never went back to the house where the

drug-using noble/merchant/whoever lives, to see if I could find a way into the attic ... <b>is there a way into it?</b> I wasn't aware of how subtle the hidden switches were implemented, until I returned a 3rd time to the library of the Lady who runs the underworld (forget her name atm) and found the book ... I simply didn't take enough time to search for the attic entrance, and not desiring to replay the mission this soon it will perhaps be some time before I do so ... /sighofselfpity

EDIT: somewhere in the thread above, a reference to a 'part 2' was made ... what is the title of it, or word on state of completion, or abandoned?

Edited by rinscewind
  • Like 1

It's never a three hour tour.

EDIT: somewhere in the thread above, a reference to a 'part 2' was made ... what is the title of it, or word on state of completion, or abandoned?

Part 2 is WIP.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• Excellent mission - perhaps one of the best that could be made for TDM!

is there a way into it?

somewhere in the thread above, a reference to a 'part 2' was made ... what is the title of it, or word on state of completion, or abandoned?

• Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes but if its the building I think your referring too there is just some loot up there to reward to player for exploring up there.

I will have to find that post as I have forgotten what I said I would do or fix.

• 11 months later...

A very fine map that was lots of fun to play in and explore. I do have one criticism though, mainly that the path to the main objective (through the vent / water) was the least intuitive to find when compared with the path to the builders and the house across from the pub which were much harder to miss.

• 2 weeks later...

I made an unofficial EFX Reverb version of this mission:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons/unofficial-behind-closed-doors-efx

Let me know if it's OK "as is" or feel free to use what I've done as a template.

• Like 1