The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

My biggest issue and one that I honestly can_not_believe_they_are_going_forward_with is .....automatic driver updates. If drivers are working, for the most part, they never need altered. If you're a gamer and update your graphic drivers or audio drivers for a particular game, YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THAT or can figure it out. Its part of gaming, has always been and will always be (or will it?) More importantly, if you want to run an older game on older graphic drivers you don't want MS automatically undoing the work you've done to get a game running on older drivers.

I use SLI and 3 monitors and getting things set up so they work is not always a given, particularly with fresh-out-the-box driver updates being pushed to your system. In Windows 10 Pro you can apparently disable specific device driver updates using the group policy manager which is at least an option. Its just asinine to have to block drivers so they don't auto update, disable blocking, update a driver, re-enable blocking, etc. when you could just provide a SIMPLE FREAKING check box in the updater that says, "don't install drivers" for this certain device or this certain device. Sooo dumb. Sooo backward.

Also... what is the average idiot user doing when they come back to their computer, the video driver has updated to a broken one and their screen is black??? What are they doing? Calling a support tech? Its ridiculous.

At some point I'm going to make a fresh Macrium image of my Win7 install, install Windows 10 pro so I can get my "free" (YIPPIE FUCKING DIPPY!) key, make a Win10 install disk, and then re-image my system back to Win7 and continue using it for the foreseeable future.

I also can't believe they've added advertisements to my Operating System....I'm sorry...what??!!?!?!? What sucks is, IMO Win10 can DIAF for all I care but since I'm a gamer what do I do for game compatibility? Any time some company has you over a barrel they always get away with murder. Here's hoping that Linux takes over as the dominant platform and that Vulkan becomes the dominant API. I've been using Windows since its inception and have always enjoyed their platform but seriously, MS can go f*ck themselves.

Edited by Lux

I am not one of the Microsoft haters, and I have been satisfied with their products, but this was a shitty thing to do. How can I trust them in the future if they try to pull this kind of crap?

yer, a sorta own goal. And a lot of American tech companies have been pulling stunts of various kind on their customers over the last few years.The end result is I personally try and find a non-american alternative if at all humanly possible, a have donated more to indie applications for my phone and Pc in the past 2-3 years than M$ products since 1995.

I also can't believe they've added advertisements to my Operating System....I'm sorry...what??!!?!?!? What sucks is, IMO Win10 can DIAF for all I care but since I'm a gamer what do I do for game compatibility? Any time some company has you over a barrel they always get away with murder. Here's hoping that Linux takes over as the dominant platform and that Vulkan becomes the dominant API. I've been using Windows since its inception and have always enjoyed their platform but seriously, MS can go f*ck themselves.

+1, If and when I am forced to use Win10 I will dual boot to linux.

You mean after the free 1yr upgrade, yes of course. Win10 was only free because M$ are/were trying to get as many people onboard as possible.

I don't believe that it ends after the 1 year period. Or more accurately, I don't believe that M$ won't extend the promotion, even though they've said "1 year".

They want to lock in as many home users as possible into using the free as in beer operating system, and keep them locked in. They'll continue to collect OS cash from the OEMs, and license fees from business users. As far as upgrades go, they will make them free for most users and possibly stop naming Windows versions.

The coming years will be increasingly perilous for Microsoft Windows. They face more competition than ever before. Google's Chromebooks are a bright spot in an anemic global PC/notebook industry, Apple always sells stuff no matter what happens, and there is a new threat coming: the docked smartphone. This was the unrealized goal of the Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding campaign, however the tech is popping around on other platforms, such as Remix OS, which gives Android window capabilities to make it look more like a desktop, or this HP laptop dock for a Windows smartphone.

They also want to unload a bunch of unskippable ads on their users. They see the money in social media, and want a piece of that pie.

It is an economic bubble that makes formerly (mostly) honest manufacturers go crazy, and abandon the goal of making good products in lieu of engaging in dodgy financial schemes, ultimately damaging their core competencies. It is shaping up to be a new dotcom collapse, except bigger and nastier.

As for the customers, this cartoon sums it up:

SocMedSelling.jpg

(Okay, pretty ironic posting it on the TDM forums. :laugh: )

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

9wfqi83.png

I love that image, but in all seriousness I decided to give Windows 10 another try and it's not so bad. If you disable all of the privacy options and install Spybots Anti-Beacon it feels pretty secure and i'm happy with everything for now.

The Register reckons it's found the reason Win10 & the GWX nagware is so hard to avoid

See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/17/microsoft_windows_10_upgrade_gwx_vs_humanity/

GWX subverts a channel intended for one purpose (security hotfixes) for another (advertising); it changes its “attack vectors”, it “conceals itself” kinda like a rootkit; it uses “polymorphic” techniques; and it consistently overrides users' actions and permissions.

And then there's KB29526654

Apparently this patch keeps changing with new revisions and every new revision re enables win10.

If you remove it you only remove the last one then it reinstalls the previous version from a cache.

So you need to delete all the previous versions which are cached on your machine as well as every registry entry for each of them.

Unless the user gets rid of ALL of the "Get Windows 10" system updates and its helpers, the GWX popup will persist. These are:

KB2952664

KB3035583

C:\Windows\System32\GWX

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\*KB2952664*

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\*KB3035583*

ALL registry entries for KB2952664 and

(optionally) KB3035583

Sorry Microsoft, this has destroyed any trust I had in you

And then there's KB29526654, apparently this patch keeps changing with new revisions and every new revision re enables win10.

I've believe I mentioned this previously, set windows update to important updates only. And if this update is still listed hide it and tick the "dont download this again" option.

I did the above several months ago and have never had a single instance of any Win10 nagware.

So got to play with a surface pro running Win10 at work....

• when you click on anything that requires text input, unlike Android/IOS the keyboard is not automatically popped up.
  • When the keyboard is manually brought up, it takes up half the screen and you have to move it out of the way - obscuring part of the keyboard and/or what your trying to see.
  • And lastly when I tried to move some some files from the download folder to a USB key using the move option, it promptly deleted the files

- bunch of arse.

As an alternative for a work computer, is it a good idea to use Linux?

I used only Windows for my entire life starting from 95, used to Microsoft Word 2003, but I don't mind using freeware OS for the future if it's safer from more points of view.

Obviously Linux isn't perfect for gaming - but as a second option after Windows, is it worth it just for document work, typing?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Here we go again! http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-updates-infamous-get-windows-10-patch-kb3035583-502117.shtml

11 versions of this thing? Really? Why is that necessary? Could it be because every time they push out a new version of this patch, it gets installed again even if the user removed a prior version?

And as somebody with a Windows 10 tablet (really, I will posta photo of it if you do not believe me), I would much rather Microsoft fix the UI issues with this thing rather than continuously pester people who clearly are not interest in upgrading. Hey Microsoft, start by implementing pinch to zoom in tablet mode. Then make a file manager which uses large icons and a better layout in tablet mode. But no, let's push out 5 more versions of KB3035583 instead. I actually dual-booted Android on this thing because I just needed to face facts that these issues will never be addressed by Microsoft. So basically it runs Windows for mobile gaming and Android for everything else.

This tablet did not come with Windows 10, but rather 8.1. However, I expected things to improve with the upgrade. One must lower their expectations when dealing with Microsoft products.

Edited by kano

but rather easier and less clunky apparently - as they explain https://www.grc.com/never10/details.htm

The GWX Control Panel (an early popular solution at 2.4 megabytes) was a useful first step. But it was wrong in too many ways. Its design and operation seemed ill suited to the simple task of preventing upgrades to Windows 10. It was confusing and offered an array of actions, options and status reports, when all anyone really wanted was simply for Windows to not upgrade itself and to leave us alone. Instead, the GWX Control Panel makes itself the center of attention. It needs to be “installed”, is resident and persistent afterward, and it pops up all the time to tell us what a great job it's doing... which is exactly the kind of nonsense most people are fed up with in this era where “your attention” is what commercial interests all want to obtain more of. But more than anything, none of that was necessary . . .

Word of warning.

For me and many others installing Windows 10 is impossible through the GWX Control Panel. There is some issue with Windows updater that doesn't allow to finish the update and so it will revert back to Windows 8 or 7.

If anyone decides for themself to switch at the end to Win 10 - do it with an external usb drive with the installer on that device. That is the only working solution I found. Nothing else works.

It may be different for you. But better save yourself the stress.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 5 weeks later...

Microsoft vs. Google is kind of a Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla situation. Whoever wins, you still lose.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved