The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

I would then block it via WIndows Firewall Control (http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php) from accessing any network or internet resource.

I Run WFC on all my windows machines, its essentially a massively better front end for Windows FW. Crucially it provides a pop-up every time an application want to access a network/internet resource. Its shocking the amount of access programs ask for, even more so when they don't need to have to access the net.

If and when I ever uprgade to 10, Cortana is one of the first tings I will disable/remove.

That is curious.

Why?

Does not appear to be an out of ordinary AI, more or less adequate from what I remember on the PC version of Halo 1 and Halo 2.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

i keep getting nagged to try office, I don't need office. although it just appears as a small pop up in the right hand bottom corner, it appears every 4 days.

apparently Cortana is based off the 3d AI from the halo games, comes across as slightly disturbing if you really think about it, you can get the sound files and a 3d body of the halo AI from some microsoft site and use them with Cortana.

In order to kill this, uninstall the app called "get office". Pretty sad that you need to go through the trouble, eh? When I was a kid, we called programs that threw continuous and unsolicited pop-up notifications "adware". We're not allowed to do that anymore though; instead, we're supposed to call them suggestions (suggestionware?).

Now how the hell do I get rid of the "Xbox" app? You can't uninstall it, and after what Microshaft tried to pull with the Xbox One, I would rather get a root canal than support the Xbox brand again.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/26/microsoft_clarifies_upgrade_trick/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn742499%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

The Close button on the title bar should have the same effect as the Cancel or Close button within the dialog box. Never give it the same effect as OK.

• 2 weeks later...

This made me lose my shit and I don't know where else to post it...

CEF7Kxx.jpg

These update requests are getting out of hand! Hahaha

• Haha 1

Is this for real or some mock-up that someone did....?

FRO springs to mind..

It was just a mockup done in Skyrim, seems like Microsoft's forced updates are becoming a meme of themselves.

A bit off topic as it is not Windows, but Android related, yet it still fits this thread: I currently have an update for Google Street View on my phone. The thing is: Street View is not installed on my phone. I even unticked the "auto-update" option, which (at least in my opinion) should remove it from the updates list. Well, it doesn't. It just pops up the message "Hey, this is not marked for auto-updates. Do you still want to update it?" So, this is a case where Google has a similar (if not as aggressive) tactic to get you to use their products :(

Hm, should have looked more thoroughly :unsure: . It was installed as "Street View" not "Google Street View". Looks like it was not the fault of Google this time...

The Google Maps Android app has Street View in it so what's with the name...?

I haven't installed Google Maps, because I don't want to have strain my band width with every time I use it. I use an app that has local map data and thus only uses the GPS. Even with that my battery is drained quite quickly if my phone is not plugged in. Anyway, it is even stranger, that Street View is installed, when Maps is not.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-upgrade-misunderstanding-confusion-led-accidental-installs

This one's pretty intelligent. Probably the most rational approach to the problem as much as documentation provides.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I don't but these are the ones I have hidden

I just realised that in the Windows Update they were all shown as important if I remember correctly but now the majority are shown as recommended

Also given the number shown the odds are that it resurrected a whole bunch I have previously hidden

Edited by Oldjim

Yesterday I had serious problems with Win10 Pro, for the first time. My PC could not boot anymore. Had to reset the system and, of course, I had no image of a previous build :( . Consequence is: I have to reinstall all programs (at least Windows gave me a list of programs removed) and even more annoying: I have to redo all the settings to prevent as much telemetry as possible. So my main lesson from this is: Make regular system backups in case this happens again. The strangest thing is: Yesterday morning I had used it and there were no updates etc. In the evening it could not boot anymore.

With Windows it all comes down to the old adage. Never upgrade to an even number version of Windows

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/