The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

http://betanews.com/2016/06/27/microsoft-windows-10-payout/

Yay, Microsoft pays out $10k! She should get more than that though, as compensation for the pain and suffering of now needing to install Windows 7 and waiting three days for it to update.

And there are actually people saying that she shouldn't get that much from Microsoft. As if these large businesses do not prey on consumers for every last dime and sue each other for millions every single day. I say, she should get 100k!

EDIT: I just love this statement made by Microsoft.

"We started our journey with Windows 10 with a clear goal to move people from needing Windows to choosing Windows to loving Windows. Towards this goal, this week we’ll launch a new upgrade experience for millions of PCs around the world. The new experience has clearer options to upgrade now, choose a time, or decline the free offer. If the red-x is selected on this new dialog, it will dismiss the dialog box and we will notify the device again in a few days. We continue to recommend all of our customers upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade offer expires on July 29."

so... If there's a nice looking lady that I would really like to sleep with, and I ask her, and she *declines* the free offer, is it okay for me to continue to ask her again every few days? "Hey baby, I know you said you're not interested last week, but how about now? Oh, you're still not interested in the free offer? I'll ask again in another four days."

How is this not harassment? You should not need to "decline" the offer every few days!

Edited by kano

Personally, I use GWX Control Panel.

I've turned on the most important blocks/filters in the program (especially the ones that eliminate that nagging GWX icon), but I haven't fiddled with it much since. Has anyone been using this software to deal with the forcing of updates on his Windows 7 Pro ? If yes, how has it served you so far and what further settings would you recommend ?

I'd need to know more, so I could be sure I can set the program to ignore all Windows 10 related updates and only focus on genuine Windows 7 security updates. With Microsoft's regrettably sneaky tactics as of late, I'm rather worried whether I should install security updates. (I haven't installed any in over a month and even my antivirus is now nagging at me to install the Windows 7 security updates.)

It seems that it can only do so much; I was given an update that triggered a massive blue screen of desperation for me despite using the plugin.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

http://windowsreport.com/microsoft-ny-ag-windows-10-forced-upgrade-lawsuit/

Oh yeah, baby, bring on the litigation against Microsoft! I can't wait to watch this party get started *grabs tub of popcorn*.

And why are the individual states investigating this, but not the federal government? Could it be because there is a huge incentive for the federal government to look the other way because of the aforementioned data collection that Windows 10 does, and they are hoping to fill the Utah data center with the browsing data of citizens, which Windows 10 collects by default?

https://jonathan.porta.codes/images/posts/2015/07/window-10-privacy-settings-3.png

Thank God it happens at all in the west.

Roskomnadzor in Russia would just raise the banhammer for our small brains even daring to question the noble course of the country keeping its citizens away from the foul dangers of the zionist american-fascist superstitious nonentities for the orthodox omnipresent and all-powerful state is flawless in it's vision of a greater future for the smaller individuals. Very unhealthy view of the world. So much nihilism.

Imho Microsoft will get probably something approximate to the case of Microsoft and Netscape. The one around their monopoly of Internet Explorer I think and/or about the OS too.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

What drives me crazy is this fact: Everytime when I left my computer after a while I can hear how the CPU cooler winds up. And everytime I return to the computer and move the mouse the cooler spins down again. Why in the hell is the CPU load in the idle time so high? I have no visible programs opened. :huh:

Looks like I'm going to end up with a Win10 tablet, I'll probably end up wiping it and putting some flavour of L*nux on it but until then is it possible to block the telemetry data slurp in my router ?

I can block access to url's based on keywords but I believe telemetry uses embedded IP addresses & I can't see a way of blocking those unless I can do something with static routes, anyone got any tips for this ?

If it helps my router is a Netgear WNR1000v3 with firmware V1.0.2.68_60.0.93

Looks like I'm going to end up with a Win10 tablet, I'll probably end up wiping it and putting some flavour of L*nux on it but until then is it possible to block the telemetry data slurp in my router ?

I can block access to url's based on keywords but I believe telemetry uses embedded IP addresses & I can't see a way of blocking those unless I can do something with static routes, anyone got any tips for this ?

If it helps my router is a Netgear WNR1000v3 with firmware V1.0.2.68_60.0.93

I'm interested in your opinion.

A girl that was somewhat close used to have a phone with Win 8 and said she couldn't figure for the life of her how to manage that phone and how everything works.

The idea of a phone on the Windows OS sounds interesting and considering the performance on some devices and the temporary slide of popularity (possibly even permanent until further notice) the prices might go down really fast on Microsoft Lumias.

What do you make of the OS on phones versus the PC's?

Currently I own a Sony Xperia E3 but Android 4.4 KitKat looks like the worst place to start with the rooting idea and it won't work. Already broke 2 SD cards on other tablets trying to figure how to factory reset them (1 was on Android 2 something and the other on Android 4.1 or 4.2). Thing is, that even with Android being really mobile and all, without rooting and with really limited storage it's only a little better than a button phone.

I know the new Android after circa 5.0 allows for good options for the SD card and good space management but I was out of luck to get to that version of the OS.

Eventually I'll switch to something new but at the time being I don't see leaving what I have until a few years down the line when this phone will start malfunctioning (the warranty is long gone already anyway, but still the goal isn't to drive into the grave either).

Though Windows isn't perfect, having all devices at home on this OS would ease certain things out, as essentially things like a Printer, Scanner are very picky about driver compatibility, especially if they are old so after 16 years of Windows and a little more on DOS - moving to Apple or Linux would feel like Muhammad pushing the mountain.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

There are a bunch of apps out there that block the Ips via the hosts file, and I have them listed in the OP, see point 15.

@biker : I already block sites via hosts but I believe WIn10 can bypass the hosts file & use numeric IP addresses if it discovers it's not getting through, so there's nothing I can do that will block numeric IP's on my router ?

@anderson : I have an old android 2.3.4 phone & I have no problem with it, there is nothing on that phone beyond my partners number that O consider to be remotely sensitive, before that I had a windows phone & had no problem with that beyond it getting so old I couldn't source a battery neither android nor windows phones are the latest version of the OS, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about phone/pc comparisons.

I'm not a fan of smartphones in general, they are too oriented towards getting personal data into the hands of other people

What I want is a computer that makes phone calls but nobody makes one

Edited by esme

@Esme, yeah if your routers firmware modern enough you should be able to enter all the IP's in there. Here is a massive list I found freom the following reddit post -

0.0.0.0 vortex.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net
0.0.0.0 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 urs.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 bing.com
0.0.0.0 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
0.0.0.0 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 survey.watson.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 watson.live.com
0.0.0.0 watson.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 compatexchange.cloudapp.net
0.0.0.0 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
0.0.0.0 a-0001.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 corp.sts.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 pre.footprintpredict.com
0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 feedback.windows.com
0.0.0.0 feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
0.0.0.0 feedback.search.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 public-family.api.account.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 adnxs.com
0.0.0.0 c.msn.com
0.0.0.0 g.msn.com
0.0.0.0 h1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 msedge.net
0.0.0.0 rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0 ads.msn.com
0.0.0.0 adnexus.net
0.0.0.0 ac3.msn.com
0.0.0.0 c.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 m.adnxs.com
0.0.0.0 sO.2mdn.net
0.0.0.0 ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 ec.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 flex.msn.com
0.0.0.0 rad.live.com
0.0.0.0 ui.skype.com
0.0.0.0 msftncsi.com
0.0.0.0 a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a.rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0 b.rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0 cdn.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 m.hotmail.com
0.0.0.0 ads1.msads.net
0.0.0.0 a.ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 a.ads2.msn.com
0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com
0.0.0.0 b.ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 view.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 preview.msn.com
0.0.0.0 aidps.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 static.2mdn.net
0.0.0.0 a.ads2.msads.net
0.0.0.0 b.ads2.msads.net
0.0.0.0 db3aqu.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 secure.adnxs.com
0.0.0.0 www.msftncsi.com
0.0.0.0 live.rads.msn.com
0.0.0.0 ad.doubleclick.net
0.0.0.0 bs.serving-sys.com
0.0.0.0 pricelist.skype.com
0.0.0.0 a-0002.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0003.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0004.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0005.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0006.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0007.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0008.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 a-0009.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 aka-cdn-ns.adtech.de
0.0.0.0 cds26.ams9.msecn.net
0.0.0.0 lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 az361816.vo.msecnd.net
0.0.0.0 az512334.vo.msecnd.net
0.0.0.0 msntest.serving-sys.com
0.0.0.0 secure.flashtalking.com
0.0.0.0 s.gateway.messenger.live.com
0.0.0.0 schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 settings-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
0.0.0.0 vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 www.vortex.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 www.oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 www.sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 www.watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 www.redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.choice.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 www.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.telemetry.appex.bing.net
0.0.0.0 www.telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.urs.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.bing.com
0.0.0.0 www.telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
0.0.0.0 www.settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.survey.watson.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.watson.live.com
0.0.0.0 www.watson.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.compatexchange.cloudapp.net
0.0.0.0 www.cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
0.0.0.0 www.a-0001.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 www.sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 www.fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 www.diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.corp.sts.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.pre.footprintpredict.com
0.0.0.0 www.i1.services.social.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 www.feedback.windows.com
0.0.0.0 www.feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
0.0.0.0 www.feedback.search.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.public-family.api.account.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.adnxs.com
0.0.0.0 www.c.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.g.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.h1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.ads.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.adnexus.net
0.0.0.0 www.ac3.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.c.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 www.m.adnxs.com
0.0.0.0 www.sO.2mdn.net
0.0.0.0 www.ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.ec.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 www.flex.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.rad.live.com
0.0.0.0 www.ui.skype.com
0.0.0.0 www.msftncsi.com
0.0.0.0 www.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.a.rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.b.rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.cdn.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 www.m.hotmail.com
0.0.0.0 www.ads1.msads.net
0.0.0.0 www.a.ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.a.ads2.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.apps.skype.com
0.0.0.0 www.b.ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.view.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 www.preview.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.aidps.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 www.static.2mdn.net
0.0.0.0 www.a.ads2.msads.net
0.0.0.0 www.b.ads2.msads.net
0.0.0.0 www.db3aqu.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0 www.secure.adnxs.com
0.0.0.0 www.www.msftncsi.com
0.0.0.0 www.live.rads.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.ad.doubleclick.net
0.0.0.0 www.bs.serving-sys.com
0.0.0.0 www.pricelist.skype.com
0.0.0.0 www.a-0002.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.a-0003.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.a-0004.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.a-0005.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.a-0006.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.a-0007.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.a-0008.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.a-0009.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0 www.aka-cdn-ns.adtech.de
0.0.0.0 www.cds26.ams9.msecn.net
0.0.0.0 www.lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 www.az361816.vo.msecnd.net
0.0.0.0 www.az512334.vo.msecnd.net
0.0.0.0 www.msntest.serving-sys.com
0.0.0.0 www.secure.flashtalking.com
0.0.0.0 www.s.gateway.messenger.live.com
0.0.0.0 www.schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
0.0.0.0 www.settings-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0 www.msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
0.0.0.0 www.vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0 www.vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net

@biker : I already block sites via hosts but I believe WIn10 can bypass the hosts file & use numeric IP addresses if it discovers it's not getting through, so there's nothing I can do that will block numeric IP's on my router ?

@anderson : I have an old android 2.3.4 phone & I have no problem with it, there is nothing on that phone beyond my partners number that O consider to be remotely sensitive, before that I had a windows phone & had no problem with that beyond it getting so old I couldn't source a battery neither android nor windows phones are the latest version of the OS, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about phone/pc comparisons.

I'm not a fan of smartphones in general, they are too oriented towards getting personal data into the hands of other people

What I want is a computer that makes phone calls but nobody makes one

Give Cyanogenmod a try. Its a community developed and maintained version of Android. I have an ancient 4-year-old phone that supports CM and its great. To think, I was going to chuck this thing! It was stuck on version 4.1 of Android with loads of crapware on it that I couldn't delete. CM provides a very clean image, and Google integration is optional. You can use fdroid.org for apps anonymously, and (if the device is officially supported (like this one is) it gets regular updates to fix threats (unlike 90% of Android phones that are abandoned after 16 months to sell you the new model).

Its really great getting the OS from people who didn't sell me the hardware, because they have no incentive to stab me in the back by abandoning the device pre-maturely. I also stuck a 128 GB memory card in this thing, (yes, 128 GB in a phone from 2012!). If you're interested in a device, check out the Zenfone 2 Laser. I think it is officially supported by CM, and it is a hell of a lot more powerful than this old thing.

EDIT: There's another great feature in CM to share. When listening to music with the screen off, if you press the volume buttons down for half a second, it will advance to the next or previous track. This is something that most vanilla ROMs don't do, and its so much more convenient than pulling out the phone, turning on the screen, and then switching tracks manually.

Edited by kano

Give Cyanogenmod a try. Its a community developed and maintained version of Android. I have an ancient 4-year-old phone that supports CM and its great. To think, I was going to chuck this thing! It was stuck on version 4.1 of Android with loads of crapware on it that I couldn't delete. CM provides a very clean image, and Google integration is optional. You can use fdroid.org for apps anonymously, and (if the device is officially supported (like this one is) it gets regular updates to fix threats (unlike 90% of Android phones that are abandoned after 16 months to sell you the new model).

Its really great getting the OS from people who didn't sell me the hardware, because they have no incentive to stab me in the back by abandoning the device pre-maturely. I also stuck a 128 GB memory card in this thing, (yes, 128 GB in a phone from 2012!). If you're interested in a device, check out the Zenfone 2 Laser. I think it is officially supported by CM, and it is a hell of a lot more powerful than this old thing.

EDIT: There's another great feature in CM to share. When listening to music with the screen off, if you press the volume buttons down for half a second, it will advance to the next or previous track. This is something that most vanilla ROMs don't do, and its so much more convenient than pulling out the phone, turning on the screen, and then switching tracks manually.

Thanks for the answer.

You've guessed it right that my device also has limited memory and it's very frustrating to have a relatively free (albeit no huge) memory pool on the SD card and internal memory of 1.70 GB with factory apps that, if all kept up to date just get the phone to it's limits of memory.

I'll give it a shot, though afraid of losing already all the stuff I gathered over the years.

You know, my dream is this ability of the phone to launch Riven and other Point & Clicks over ScummVM at ease even when I'm beyond all zones for phone operating networks in the middle of nowhere. With limited memory that's just a luxury and I gotta compromise for nececities like Flashlight, some message app, Google pre-loaded stuff etc.

The closest thing would probably be this for me: https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Z3_Info

But they don't have specifically my thing. I don't have neither 8, neither 16, neither 32 GB of Memory. Just 1.70.

It's also a Sony 2203 model E3.

I have no idea how things like these work and the last thing I need is another broken device.

By the way about phones being tracking devices: at this point most phones, even old button Nokias and Motorolas are tracked without internet and info is stocked on where you make your phone calls, simply through the network. It's stocked at your operator's servers.

People who did some crime, who don't want to be tracked or who do underground activity against their government for whatever purposes may be - leave their phones home or in the car to not expose themselves. In my country this is done all the time because bribes and corruption is a routine and mafia alike Italy's familias most worthy from 40 years ago wars are ruling the board.

It is good to have mods like these at any rate for a choice but if you're not doing anything anti-gov. the worst to be afraid is bugs rigged at the apartment/working place/car. Because even here, realiable and respected operators don't hand out personal data like that even for notorious criminal authorities. It must be done through the prosecutor and during an official investigation.

Very likely new smartphones can intercept sounds even if you're not in a conversation, though someone has to really put some serious effort into getting access to that.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

Water is wet, the sky is blue. Those apps you uninstalled from Windows 10 are coming back, to visit you!

http://betanews.com/2016/08/19/unwanted-windows-10-apps-return/

The bit about Microsoft understanding that "no" means "NO" is particularly funny, after the monthly versions of KB3035583 that would get installed automatically if you uninstalled it before and selected NOT TO SHOW THAT UPDATE AGAIN.

Edited by kano

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after GWX Conteol Panel has served me well for the last few months, I decided to also enable the deletion of any Windows 10 related programs that might have been left on my HDs. I made a point of return beforehand, just to be sure. GWX CP found the little GWX folder in System32 (only a few kilobytes of files) and deleted it and its contents completely, much to my joy. Luckily, the last update of said folder was in early March, so the Windows 10 nagware didn't get far before I stopped it cold back then (while not realising yet I already had a preliminary folder for it). I'll still be watching my Windows 7, but if nothing Windows 10 related comes up in the next few months, I suppose the brunt of the nagware crisis is over for me. I won't be uninstalling the Control Panel anytime soon, though. After the Windows 10 antics of the last year, I'm not very trusting of the current Microsoft management. All the more that Windows 10 seems to be a real shambles right now, even without these desperate and dishonest forced upgrades.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/22/windows_10_backlash_begins_which_calls_for_upgrade_compensation/

"Choice" my ass. That GWX thing continuously pestered people to upgrade and it was obfiscated to ensure that it would be difficult for non-experienced users to remove. Even the description in Windows Update was obfuscated, in order to slip it past those of us who *do* read them. This was on top of there not being a "no thanks" button up until the very last minute, when this scheme started costing Microsoft $$$ and getting them in trouble.

It would be like me calling a girl every day and asking her if she will go out with me. If she says no, I call again tomorrow. That's not a choice, that's harassment.

Recently I was "forced" to upgrade to Windows 10 due to my keyboard (kinesis advantage) not working in Windows 7 with a new mobo. Just went through the procedure to remove all of the telemetry, forced upgrades, and shovelware. Man, what a shit show.

UPDATE: Even after going through like 10 different reddit threads and articles covering how to disable all of this shit, there was still some mysterious traffic coming from svchost.exe with traffic akamai servers. I ended up blocking all internet traffic from svchost.exe and it seems to have worked. I am using netlimiter for this but I imagine there's a non-proprietary solution out there. Don't block local traffic too--svchost.exe is used for DNS resolution.

I imagine they'll still sneak something else in at some point but this will be good enough for an OS that's used purely for gaming.

Edited by woah