The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

Why would you want to do that if you have Win 10 installed?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 months later...

OK so I have a tablet with Win10 home on it, I basically use it for twitter & nothing else

I have my connection set to metered to try & control when updates are downloaded, this didn't seem to stop the creators update from downloading a couple of weeks back but it did ask me when I'd like it installed as it's big, I'm pretty sure I didn't mess with the connection settings so I was surprised when the "Update & reboot/shutdown" appeared on the menu

So I waited for a few weeks, naively thinking they'd have dealt with most of the issues, after all this has been around since ... what? October last year at least

Yesterday I bit the bullet

Seemed to work OK initially, until later in the evening when I turned the tablet on & found the touch screen no longer worked, which is a bit crap considering it's a tablet, connected a keyboard & managed to shutdown ok, rebooted a few times, same thing no touch screen

I was about to send Microsoft the bill for bricking the tablet when I remembered it worked immediately after the update and the only difference was I was powering it via the charger

So I shut down, connected the charger, turned it on, and lo there was life in the touch screen, so I had a portable tablet that was fine as long as I stayed tethered to a wall socket.

Fairly obvious the touch screen driver APM was fubared and being disabled when on battery power, but I couldn't find a setting to turn it off, a quick internet search showed I wasn't the only one with this issue & I found a solution on the Lenovo forums which let me disable the APM for the touch screen via the registry

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/Thinkpad-8-Touchscreen-not-working-after-Windows-10-Fall/m-p/3853309#M5605

Should be adaptable for different hardware with the same issue

The touch screen is still unresponsive the first time it's turned on, but putting it to sleep and then waking it with the power button sorts it out, not ideal but it works

In my digging I noticed that this isn't so much an update as a complete replacement of the OS, so everything you removed because it was surplus to requirements has been put back, for example Cortana is back, which is something I don't want and never use but managed to disable, fortunately it can still be disabled using the same method presumably all the other crap I removed is back too, so I'll just have to remove it again

I put a link to it in post #228

Basically as the touch screen is made by Goodix find the entry in the registry for power management & set it to 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\GDIX1001\3&4820efc&0\Device Parameters
Set EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled to 0

I also changed

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\DriverDatabase\DriverPackages\goodixtouchdrive.inf_x86_c785644c5b19b481\Configurations\GoodixTouchDriver.Inst.Win7.NT\Device\EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled
Edited by esme

• 3 weeks later...

I've been noticing a trend to hate on Windows 7 and itch for it to die, so 7 is the new XP and it's the cool thing to hate on it, meanwhile pretending that there's nothing wrong with Windows 10 and its UI (Metro) is the most beautiful work of art to ever have been created. I just stopped trying to understand it because the confusion will give me brain cancer, and I'm trying to spend more time with Linux and try out all the different distributions on different systems, and plan my next computer purchase around a Linux OS that can do a lot of virtualisation of different Windows, because I gave Microsoft enough money in my life.

I just hope software support will continue and increase into the future. There's so much to learn about Linux and not a whole bunch of free time, but it just has to happen.

• Like 1

I've been noticing a trend to hate on Windows 7 and itch for it to die, so 7 is the new XP and it's the cool thing to hate on it, meanwhile pretending that there's nothing wrong with Windows 10 and its UI (Metro) is the most beautiful work of art to ever have been created.

Metro is the most beautifull GUI ever created - for a smartphone (but i don't own one because of other reasons). For the desktop i prefer XFCE (work) or Windows 7 (gaming).

http://www.osnews.com/story/30189/Windows_10_S_becoming_a_mode_not_a_version

The crusade to convert PCs into shitty locked down consoles continues. It won't be long now until you need to buy a workstation class version to run programs that don't invade your privacy or that you wrote yourself without getting permission from someone else.

But this is just restricted to 10S. And you can even upgrade it (not sure what the price difference between 10S and 10Pro is, but if this is equal to the upgrade cost, I see no problem), so you can use all functions. As far as I understand 10S is a cheaper version meant for systems that do not need all functions of an OS. For example, if the computer is only meant to control a specific machine, it is better to have a smaller OS version with limited functions, that still does what it should and costs only a fraction of the full OS. I really do not understand the outrage. If all Windows versions would look like this, this would be a problem, but this is a smaller OS for limited use.

But this is just restricted to 10S. And you can even upgrade it (not sure what the price difference between 10S and 10Pro is, but if this is equal to the upgrade cost, I see no problem), so you can use all functions. As far as I understand 10S is a cheaper version meant for systems that do not need all functions of an OS. For example, if the computer is only meant to control a specific machine, it is better to have a smaller OS version with limited functions, that still does what it should and costs only a fraction of the full OS. I really do not understand the outrage. If all Windows versions would look like this, this would be a problem, but this is a smaller OS for limited use.

Because the alternative is having to learn to use Linux, which as we all know isn't exactly great if you're

• Looking to play many games on your computer without at least half an hour of configuration for everything you play.
  • Don't have time or mental endurance to learn an entirely new operating system.
  • Like 1

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

I've been noticing a trend to hate on Windows 7 and itch for it to die, so 7 is the new XP and it's the cool thing to hate on it, meanwhile pretending that there's nothing wrong with Windows 10 and its UI (Metro) is the most beautiful work of art to ever have been created. I just stopped trying to understand it because the confusion will give me brain cancer, and I'm trying to spend more time with Linux and try out all the different distributions on different systems, and plan my next computer purchase around a Linux OS that can do a lot of virtualisation of different Windows, because I gave Microsoft enough money in my life.

I just hope software support will continue and increase into the future. There's so much to learn about Linux and not a whole bunch of free time, but it just has to happen.

I agree. 7 is the new XP. I just wish it got as long of a support period as XP did (still does). Some versions of XP are still supported until 2019! Maybe if enough people dig their heals into the grass and refuse to switch off of Windows 7, they will be forced to extend it.

I don't think so, because XP marks an era when a lot of "normies" saw how computers aren't just for geeks and there's this thing called "the internet" they'd all been hearing about. It was _years_ before the trainwreck Vista was released (2001-2007?) and because Vista was such a trainwreck, I think a lot of people (myself included) were hesitant to jump head-first into Windows 7 (2009/2010) the way we were when jumping from 98 (or ME, in my case) to XP. It was good and for the most part could be done with confidence. It was a different situation, and with all the time that passed, we're talking about an entire generation, pretty much a decade (a decade that contained the rise of modern social media as we know it) that XP was "Windows", and their first Windows for a lot of younger people.

From what I understand, Microsoft is interested in a "OS as a service" business strategy, micro-transactions and making sure most people will only ever use certified commercial software from their marketplace, or whatever they are calling it now. They want free open-source software to (not go away, but) be seen as borderline malware, and we've been seeing this get worse ever since Vista. It's all in an attempt to prevent piracy and thus (in their theory) increase sales, and keep the majority of users focus on official commercial software and away from the slimy dirty diseased back-alley sluts known as "free and open-source". Unless you're willing to pay them as a certified developer, your programs will be treated like they are pretty much a virus, and if it's not being sold on their marketplace then it's just not safe to use. That wouldn't be so bad if they'd make it easier and more affordable, but instead are making it harder and more expensive? You know, people just can't take care of themselves (even you folks who cut your teeth on Windows 3.1) and Uncle Microsoft is only doing it for your own protection, because they know better than you what you should do with YOUR computer, right?

The doomsday scenario, which I actually hope will go ahead ASAP, and finally destroy people's faith in this company completely, is that they'll be making you buy 'Calc.exe' from the marketplace, and then charging 5c for every button you click. That and much more will only work when you're online so it can "re-verify your genuine status" or whatever, to "keep you safe". Users will have access to about 1% of their own C:\ and no idea what's on their filesystem because Microsoft thinks they're not smart enough to go poking around in there, and will force you to keep your files in their "Libraries" so it's easier for them and others (government\advertisers, etc.) to sniff in at them through the back doors whenever they want to. I know it's not THAT bad, but, I think that's roughly the future they have their hearts set on, and fuck them for it.

On a side-note, I think it also has a lot to do with the way the licensing has changed, if you want to use Windows in a commercial capacity, for professional development within a studio or whatever, 7-10 is a LOT more expensive than XP ever was and much easier for auditors to double-check, which goes hand in hand, I think. Killing off 7 ASAP is a good move to corner people into their newer (more profitable) licensing models and the marketplace nickel-and-diming they have schemed. As for Windows 8, I consider it a beta of 10 and trying to install 8 will just automatically give you 10 without even asking, because, you know, Microsoft know better than you. At the beginning of 2020 (just months away, when you think about it) I would not be surprised if it all coincides with some huge new threat like the Y2K bug (Y2K2, does that sound catchy?) or virus or whatever, neatly timed and publicised, with alarm bells about how y'all crazy if you're still using Windows 7. Get your Windows 10 today! Our new marketplace is glimmering with all these cheap deals on things like WordPad for only $1.99, and for an extra 50c we'll even let your save TXT files with it!

[/speculation][/cynical-paranoia][/rant]

Edited by LDAsh

I just finished an Ubuntu-Install (Budgie 18.04 dev) on my new Thinkpad E480. Browsing Gnome Software>Games I spotted DarkRadiant – cool thing it's in the repo (didn't check version though).

B)

As you might have guessed the Laptop comes with Win 10 preinstalled and there was no way to opt out. It's really astonishing what a major crap load of insane bullshit this has become. Home edition of course.

• Cortana: it's missing a single button to reliably disable Cortana.
  • Bloatware: Why do I need an additional antivirus App, when Windos Defender is there anyway?
  • Bloatware: X-Box-Crap all over the place. Does not uninstall.
  • Fonts: Font rendering in Windows is really crappy. It's a pain in the eyes when you've been using Linux or macOS for years (thanks to cairo).
  • What used to be a start menu now looks like Times Square.
  • Also, kind of behaves like it.
  • The log-in-screen asks stupid questions about the pictures it shows me.
  • The log-in-screen asks even more stupid questions about something with shopping (didn't read all of it).
  • When I set Firefox to be my default browser and I accidently click a billboard in Times Square, Edge will open the link. It asks me to make it the default browser.
  • While the machine is fast (quad i5, 8 GB, SSD), apps take their time. I noticed the fan kicks in quite often.

I spent a few hours with the system. Had I been a non tech-savvy user it would have annoyed the crap out of me. How are normal people supposed to do their stuff (email, browsing the web, watching youtube) on a computer that's constantly nagging about shit?

I don't get it. At this point the Linux Desktop would be a more useful choice for average people. But average people do not install their OS, I know...

Sadella stated, he wants you to love MS. Looks like the Stockholm syndrome was already factored in.

• Like 1

Bloatware: Why do I need an additional antivirus App, when Windows Defender is there anyway?

Fonts: Font rendering in Windows is really crappy. It's a pain in the eyes when you've been using Linux or macOS for years (thanks to cairo).

Its not really an Antivirus app, its best to disable the service and uninstall (if possible)

Yeah, its because they still fucking use bitmaps for several parts of the UI which is a complete and utter joke in this day and age.

can't find the link but when windows 7 comes near its end microsoft will spam windows 7 users with constant popups to upgrade to windows 10 before windows 7 becomes obsolete, so expect to go through the same routine to find a way to block the auto pop up's around that time if you are still using windows 7 although it will be a paid upgrade. Also if you use things like excel and other microsoft business programs the newer versions will only run on windows 10, and at the end microsoft are likely to install a kill switch to older programs and just turn them off. So people will be trying to find hacks to turn them back on, or find programs that do the same thing but are not microsoft based.

Microsoft ended official support for Win7 on 13th Jan, 2015. Extended support won’t end until 14th Jan, 2020.
Considering the architecture - it'll be around for as long as it wants. We still play dos games and it's a few clicks to get a VM Win7 machine up and running.

You got a few years yet - hopefully we'll be cyborgs by the time Win7 is over, and have machine guns for arms and stuff.

I'm pissed off because they "BSOD'd" my win10 insider build in the middle of a bunch of stuff - I think because I kept deferring updates... "NTFS.sys". Yeah, right...

Icon cache is screwed. Have to refresh the desktop to show new files - whopping great holes in my pop-up taskbar where I've rearranged my pipeline.

Some reason it won't load icons for some API software nor Wireshark legacy.

If you're on Win10 - don't be nice and go insider build to help them help the people who aren't stupid enough to sign up for the insider build.
It's going to be a rocky few months with all the changes and spyware, sorry - analytics - they're chucking in to make Windows better for people.

As for the kill-switch. If I want to play Chaos Overlords (16 bit game), gotta fire up a VM Win95 just for that. Linking into HWID's was bad enough - even social media is onto that game now.

"In the interests of security and preserving your data".

I want someone to make me a killswitch - a heartbeat monitor that will zero out my out all my device data, ssd's, hdd's and fry my machines if I die.

I'd kickstart that.

It's fkn insulting that MS decide to put a :( on the BSOD now.
It's the sad smiley blue screen of death now.
Toss-weasels.

/* Cortana is critical to Win10 indexing - impossible to turn it off. Takes ages to train to return local results rather than open the web-browser to search for your most commonly used apps. Blame Siri and keeping up with the Joneses. I hope Cortana is a bloke. So I can deck him if ever I meet him */

Edited by teh_saccade

post-32914-0-60446600-1518459061_thumb.jpg

Great - now Firefox has multiple volume controls (all start muted) in the volume mixer and it's a case of guessing which one is the right one or playing some sound and determining which one is right to un-mute.
It multiplies exponentially according to how many tabs are open.

This is with one tab.

Right Hand - this is Left Hand - I don't believe you two have met before.

More lol's

https://www.howtogeek.com/342871/hey-microsoft-stop-installing-apps-on-my-pc-without-asking/

It's like, all the things that we told people would happen, are happening! This isn't entirely the user's fault, many of them did actively try to say no to Windows 10. But these users didn't know that clicking the red X equates to "sign me up for it anyway in the background".

Ok, I know I am very alone in not hating on Win10, but I have no idea, what this article is talking about. It is true that a couple of apps were pre-installed (like Skype, which ironically does not work with my webcam; well at least the preinstalled version does not), but there are only MS owned programs. I have never heard of "consumer experience" and I have disabled all notifications from apps, as I am in general annoyed by them (yes, Dropbox, I know you updated files). So, either I have disabled this whole crap (which shows that it is possible) or my Win10 is somehow broken for the better. BTW I use Win10 Pro, so I can not say anything about the Home edition, which is generally mor prone to the whole ad-crap. Also, I use anit-beacon, which might also help in that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/09/windows_10_s_mode_confirmed/

Initially they were going to charge extra to get out of S mode. Looks like the new plan is to start shipping PCs in S mode, in an attempt to get users to adopt it. Then, if users want out of S mode to run programs not blessed by Microsoft, it will be free (for now).

But the master plan, which I can see coming from 10 miles away, is to gently get enough people on S mode that they can then start charging to get out of it.

Here's the proof that they were initially planning to charge. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/04/windows_10_s_bing_edge/