The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

2 GB of RAM is way too little for any normal present-day workload, unless you are running a specifically-designed stripped-down operating system (which Windows 10 certainly isn't).

You're effectively trying to run a full-featured desktop operating system with the same amount of RAM as my six year old Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone.

Thanks, off to buying more RAM online with me.

On second thought, will be stripping down all automatically running apps off this until then. Do not know how long this motherboard will last to make the investment worthwhile. If the motherboard dies it's gg for the computer.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Well, it's not like you could not use the RAM in your next setup, is it?

I think so if it has the slots for it. This laptop has a DDR 3 motherboard so the newest computers might not accept this type of RAM.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 3 months later...

German privacy commissioners ban Windows 10 and Office 365 in schools

https://mspoweruser.com/german-privacy-commissioners-ban-windows-10-and-office-365-in-schools/

It's really fucked up how the media here in the USA runs stories 24/7 about how Chinese companies are spying on everyone, while we ourselves are simultaneously doing it to the rest of the world via American products. I'm not sure how the logic behind this works, "when someone else does it it is wrong, when we do it it is right?

59 minutes ago, kano said:

German privacy commissioners ban Windows 10 and Office 365 in schools

https://mspoweruser.com/german-privacy-commissioners-ban-windows-10-and-office-365-in-schools/

It's really fucked up how the media here in the USA runs stories 24/7 about how Chinese companies are spying on everyone, while we ourselves are simultaneously doing it to the rest of the world via American products. I'm not sure how the logic behind this works, "when someone else does it it is wrong, when we do it it is right?

Eventually MS will comply. They are not so rich to afford losing profit from Germany. Neither are they into politics except liberalism, tolerance, political correctness in their corporate work field and such. Especially in light of them making special Windows 10 versions for education. Germany is of course more liberal than the US, but MS already lost in the EU in regards to that and was fined already. The other day Facebook was fined for the Cambridge Analytica controversy...

Will be curious how the EU copyright directive works for Google, MS, Facebook, by 2020 which they will have to implement as well.

badge?user=andarson

On 1/5/2016 at 6:54 AM, Bikerdude said:

I will update this list as we go, re-arranging info based on severity -

1. Ongoing privacy concerns
  2. Advertising
  3. Stability and Compatibility
    • I tested the retail version, its IMHO its still not stable enough to considered a daily OS. I tested on release and wasn't impressed.
    • I found if I enabled (fairly modest) whitelist outbound blocking on my internet router, Win10's internet responsiveness would fall through the floor. All browsers would takes ages to resolve sites and the OS itself would actually become lumpy/laggy.
    • Broken Video drivers, its so widespread that even a few on here have been affected - http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/17665-windows-10-why-you-shouldnt-upgrade/?p=384905
  4. The Graphical user interface
    • M$ white-washing of the interface in Win8 and office 2013 and have refused to learn from user feedback.
  5. Forced updates
    • Not being able to control what gets installed on "MY PC", is a massive NO! NO!
    • Patching remains Windows 10’s Achilles’ heel, all Windows 10 Home machines, and Windows 10 Pro machines that aren’t hiding behind an update server (such as WSUS or WUB) will get all patches applied according to Microsoft’s time scale.
    • All three of the first Cumulative Update patches have had problems with reboot cycles. KB3081424 on Aug. 5, KB3081436 on Aug. 12, and KB3081438 on Aug. 14 all crashed a bunch of Windows 10 systems. The installer stops mid-installation, flashes an error message, rolls back, and reboots. Then you guessed it -- the forced installer kicks in and crashes Windows again. Rinse, lather, repeat. Getting out of the mess involves editing the registry.
    • We haven’t yet seen how Micro$oft will recover from a really bad update, the experience to date with the three Cumulative Updates does not instil confidence. We don’t know if Microsoft will start documenting its patches again. We don’t know if much effort will be directed at fixing and improving the Microsoft-supplied Universal apps.
    • Windows 10 installer takes a look at your system and based on the hardware and software it finds, assigns your request to a bucket of similar upgrade requests. The guys running the upgrade system, prioritize your request based on their assessment of how likely your system is to bomb out on an upgrade.
  6. Key apps, such as Mail and Edge, STILL aren’t ready yet
    • Some of Windows 10’s key apps simply half baked. Mail has a nasty habit of putting notifications in the upper-left corner and leaving them hanging forever. There’s no combined Inbox, so if you have multiple accounts you have to jump from Inbox to Inbox. And it crashes hard -- for a lot of people.
    • Edge, the new browser, similarly has all sorts of rough "edges". There are no extensions yet, thus no AdBlocker. Changing the search engine is tortuous, moving tabs onto the desktop and back again doesn’t work and you can’t pin tabs.
    • In short use what ever mail/browser you wrere using on previous OS.
  7. Not much in the way of Universal apps
    • Don't believe the marketing bollox about all of those wonderful Universal apps in Windows 10, whether it’s on a desktop, notebook, phone, Raspberry Pi, it ain't happening. The Windows Store is still by and large a wasteland, with crap apps galore.
  8. Win10’s Tablet Mode broken
    • First, there’s the menu on the left that tucks away the entries on the left side of the Start menu. It collapses fine, but when it’s collapsed it rarely shows any more tiles than when it’s not collapsed. What’s the point, eh?
    • Universal app windows have that pesky taskbar permanently tacked on the bottom, while the window bar at the top auto-hides. Edge, when running full screen, doesn’t support any of the old Metro IE swipe commands. You can’t swipe through running apps. The apps themselves? The irony is M$ Office on the iPad is better than M$ Office on Windows 10.
  9. OneDrive regression
    • This concern applies only if you use OneDrive in Windows 8.1, and if you put a lot of stuff in OneDrive. For those of you using OneDrive in Windows 7 (and Windows 8), there’s no change in behavior with Win10. But if you’re accustomed to seeing all of your OneDrive files in Windows 8.1’s File Explorer, you’ll be in for a bit of a shock.
    • Windows 10 makes you choose which OneDrive folders you want to be able to see in File Explorer. Once you’ve made that choice, the other folders aren’t accessible in File Explorer. The only way to see what files you have in OneDrive is by venturing to the OneDrive website.
  10. Missing Media Center and DVD player
    • For those people that run Windows Media Center, its gone in Windows 10 PC. Instead Micro$oft wants you to use/buy an Xbox.
  11. Ain’t broke, don’t fix it
    • The old adage comes from experience and it’s as applicable now as it ever was.
    • If you’re using Windows 7/8/8.1, and it’s properly patched up and working for you, and you’ve stopped using Internet Explorer, you really have to consider whether it’s worth the effort to upgrade to Windows 10. Carefully consider whether the warning signs listed here.
  12. Still to many questions
    • For example, when you upgrade a “genuine” Win7, Win8 or Win8.1 machine to Win10 and run the upgrade in place, Micro$oft records a hardware ID that says, “this machine has valid license” At that point, you can install either Win7 or Win10 on that machine, and your license will be validated.
    • Its believed that the only version of Win10 that you can disable ALL telemetry and fully control Windows update in, is the enterprise version.
  13. Smells like Teen Spirit desperation
  14. Compatibility issues
  15. Upgrade Nagware
  • Microsoft is still coming up with way to try and force users to upgrade from 7/8/8.1 - if you like me want to block 7 prevent this crap checkout GWX control panel or Never10

16. M$ deliberatly blocking the installation of some applications

17. Windows 10 installing UNWANTED Windows Store apps without user consent

This all looks still true.  However, Microsoft is discontinuing Windows 7 support on 14 January, although one can buy some support for an obscene price for the next three years. Then, Windows 10 is it.  Microsoft is saying that future operating systems will be called new releases of Windows 10.  (There was some discussion of Windows 12 for a while, but that name seems to have been dropped.)  I dislike windows 10, what other choice do we have?

4 hours ago, MVT said:

This all looks still true.  However, Microsoft is discontinuing Windows 7 support on 14 January, although one can buy some support for an obscene price for the next three years. Then, Windows 10 is it.  Microsoft is saying that future operating systems will be called new releases of Windows 10.  (There was some discussion of Windows 12 for a while, but that name seems to have been dropped.)  I dislike windows 10, what other choice do we have?

That is one hell of a long list. I think I grew a few more grey hairs just reading it. This is not a criticism of this thread, but rather the product/subject in question. And if you haven't seen it and you have a few hours to kill reading, take a look at this, which is the ongoing and updated motherload of everything that's wrong with Windows 10.  https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

3400 comments... lol

I'm currently looking at migrating my systems ( couple of laptops & desktops ) to l*nux

I've looked at a few distro's & Zorin looks reasonable, the front end isn't too much of a shock to a life long windows user for a start

I've set it up on a couple of laptops, one dedicated & one dual boot which went without a hitch

I even put TDM on it, runs like a drugged slug on the laptop but I'm impressed it runs at all as it's a really low spec machine I just use for testing, basically I'm ironing out any issues before I tackle my main machine as I earn a living with that one

If anyone knows any major issues with Zorin (based on Ubuntu) please shout out

Also I'm looking at the possibility of running the existing W7 installation inside a virtual machine & isolating it from the network, I'd really like to do it without reinstalling windows & just let W7 sort out the sudden disappearance of half it's resources, anyone know if that's doable ?

I may just ditch W7 as I can't think of any apps I use under W7 that haven't got equivalents under l*nux, I'd quite like my thief installs to work but I can ask on ttlg for that

Zorin seems OK. The big problem I have had with Linux on laptops is there is always, ALWAYS, some incompatible hardware that requires some custom config of files somewhere, and it's hard to google answers to specifically your own exact issue. Linux is not nearly as plug and play as Windows is, since Microsoft is the juggernaut that can spend billions on development and driving the market where Linux cannot, this makes sense. With Linux you always have to do some config coding.

So I use Linux as a hobbyist OS on some devices with the expectation that it'll just die or fail to work one day, but I like Windows and how it feels and looks and how well it customizes, and how stable it is. I know there are privacy issues, but that's just the day and digital age we live in. Cameras are everywhere, Facebook and Google track your every page view, your purchase histories get sold every time you buy something from any store, financial companies leak or get hacked exposing all your data, and governments store everything personal about you in databases everywhere. It's a bit harsh to singly blame Microsoft for collecting your data when other companies do way more damage to your privacy, and purposely.

7 hours ago, esme said:

I'm currently looking at migrating my systems ( couple of laptops & desktops ) to l*nux

I've looked at a few distro's & Zorin looks reasonable, the front end isn't too much of a shock to a life long windows user for a start

I've set it up on a couple of laptops, one dedicated & one dual boot which went without a hitch

I even put TDM on it, runs like a drugged slug on the laptop but I'm impressed it runs at all as it's a really low spec machine I just use for testing, basically I'm ironing out any issues before I tackle my main machine as I earn a living with that one

If anyone knows any major issues with Zorin (based on Ubuntu) please shout out

Also I'm looking at the possibility of running the existing W7 installation inside a virtual machine & isolating it from the network, I'd really like to do it without reinstalling windows & just let W7 sort out the sudden disappearance of half it's resources, anyone know if that's doable ?

I may just ditch W7 as I can't think of any apps I use under W7 that haven't got equivalents under l*nux, I'd quite like my thief installs to work but I can ask on ttlg for that

If TDM runs badly on the laptop, are you sure you are using the discrete GPU to play it (if applicable?). Getting Nvidia Optimus to work is a pain in the ass, but on my thrift store AMD+Intel laptop, I just run DRI_PRIME=1 ./thedarkmod.x64 and it runs on the AMD gpu rather than the Intel one, which indeed, struggles to play the game.

Thief 1 and 2 run wonderfully under Wine. Thief 3 does run pretty well too, I think. But I don't spend much time with that game because of the severe bugs that were left in it, for example you get stuck floating and can't jump. That happens on Windows too.

17 hours ago, Shadow said:

Zorin seems OK. The big problem I have had with Linux on laptops is there is always, ALWAYS, some incompatible hardware that requires some custom config of files somewhere, and it's hard to google answers to specifically your own exact issue. Linux is not nearly as plug and play as Windows is, since Microsoft is the juggernaut that can spend billions on development and driving the market where Linux cannot, this makes sense. With Linux you always have to do some config coding.

So I use Linux as a hobbyist OS on some devices with the expectation that it'll just die or fail to work one day, but I like Windows and how it feels and looks and how well it customizes, and how stable it is. I know there are privacy issues, but that's just the day and digital age we live in. Cameras are everywhere, Facebook and Google track your every page view, your purchase histories get sold every time you buy something from any store, financial companies leak or get hacked exposing all your data, and governments store everything personal about you in databases everywhere. It's a bit harsh to singly blame Microsoft for collecting your data when other companies do way more damage to your privacy, and purposely.

The only issue I've had with L*nux installs is with L*nux identifying the variant of the Wifi card in a laptop, once that was sorted I never had further issues, updates just worked, the last update I had on a W10 tablet borked the touch screen and accelerometer so it won't auto rotate & I had to figure out how to break in & then fix the power settings in order to get the touch screen working again as it's kind of necessary on a tablet device, if I hadn't managed that it would be a brick, I had no say about the update it just happened

And yeah I know it's not 'just' Microsoft, I know there are cameras everywhere, I know others use my data & I take steps to minimise my digital footprint, I might not be very successful but it's my data & I'll do what I want with it, that's my choice

16 hours ago, kano said:

If TDM runs badly on the laptop, are you sure you are using the discrete GPU to play it (if applicable?). Getting Nvidia Optimus to work is a pain in the ass, but on my thrift store AMD+Intel laptop, I just run DRI_PRIME=1 ./thedarkmod.x64 and it runs on the AMD gpu rather than the Intel one, which indeed, struggles to play the game.

Thief 1 and 2 run wonderfully under Wine. Thief 3 does run pretty well too, I think. But I don't spend much time with that game because of the severe bugs that were left in it, for example you get stuck floating and can't jump. That happens on Windows too.

As I said it's a cheap laptop, with integrated video, it should be fine on my main machine, I'll check Wine out thanks

cloud systems

normally cloud systems are spread out around the world and your data is split up to be stored in all the different server location around the world, so if a server is hacked then the data stored on one cloud server would just consist of a bunch of unreadable bits.

According to google its cloud data is stored on 6 servers based in its basement at its offices in california.

Microsofts cloud data is stored on its servers at its headquarters in silicon valley

don't know what apple do but its likely to be the same type of system where they store all cloud data in one location, seeing as apple cloud servers got hacked and mobile/cell phone pictures were stolen then it means their cloud data is store not in the cloud but in a single location. likely california

so if caifornia gets hit by the big one where california slides into the sea then all that data will be underwater.

then its no wonder that Germany has banned the use of windows 10 on there school computers, think of your corusework suddenly over night being lost underwater and unreadable.

Although you don't have to use windows 10 cloud system, you can just make backups of your harddrives to a very large nas system, locally.

The best way to keep your metadata and your digital footprint for yourself is VPN.

Beyond that KeePass and encryption of most important files (VeraCrypt seems good).

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

Dutch cheesed off at Microsoft, call for Rexit from Office Online, Mobile apps over Redmond data slurping

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/30/dutch_office_online_mobile/

"From at least three of the mobile apps on iOS, data about the use of the apps is sent to a US-American marketing company that specializes in predictive profiling."

No, no, and NO some more!

Microsoft confirms users unable to switch out of Windows 10 in S Mode

https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/08/02/microsoft-confirms-users-unable-to-switch-out-of-windows-10-in-s-mode/

Man, am I sick and fuckin' tired of features being passed off as bugs in proprietary, corporate software. They just always seem to line up with the business interests of the one who's pushing the agenda.

-

Edited by Anderson
Request to delete post. Posted by accident to older answer.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

Its remote desktop access, this is disabled in windows 10 home by default, as in the program to remotely access windows 10 home edition doesn't exist in the windows 10 build.

Its more likely that an attacker can pretend to be microsoft and do a remote operating system update, only it wouldn't be delivered by microsoft, but by a hacker.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/27/microsofts-lead-eu-data-watchdog-is-looking-into-fresh-windows-10-privacy-concerns/

Imagine your operating system, the software that your computer depends on in order to function, being spyware. Now imagine that this software is developed in a country whose government truly could not give less of a fuck about policing corporate behavior. Corporations in the US do whatever they like, and fines are engineered to be just the cost of doing business.

Sure, you can use a different OS, but that requires skill. And interoperability is a problem, because in spite of using the same mp3 files that have been around for 20 years, every new version of Office comes with a new file format in order to throw a spanner into cross-platform support and make editing and reading documents on other platforms more difficult to do.

And the lolz keep coming. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/03/windows_10_cpu/

What if I want a computer without any of these online data-mining services integrated into it, that also doesn't randomly get hijacked by the OS vendor to install third party products that I have no interest in? Wait, I already have that, it's called Debian.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, stumpy said:

its listed as optional in windows update I haven't installed it because I don't usually install optional updates. due to they've turned out to be crap or blue screen of death bug filled pile of dodo droppings.

I still remember, back in the day when I thought Microsoft was on my side, I would go out of my way and install all the optional updates to Windows. They weren't critical fixes, but some of them had descriptions like "resolves issues with X", so I figured "why the hell not?". Boy was that a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed that after deleting BitDefender antivirus laptop runs smoother. Also temporarily disable Windows Defender because it all eats too much RAM. It seems that all applications over time get updates to the point where the laptop simply can't deal with it even when running Microsoft Word and trying to type something and look for things up on the internet.

Does anyone know what else might load RAM? I'm thinking of Microsoft Store but I do need the updates to Skype and other messengers occasionally. Looks like it by default restarts the antispyware / antivirus application after a while.

Disabled Windows Defender with regedit command. Hope it lasts.

Edited by Anderson
Update.

badge?user=andarson

All AV/AS products will suck up as much RAM is is needed to perform whatever options are selected. Just for basic file scanning none should be all that intrusive, but if you have email protection on, then it's scanning your mail inbox, and that can increase your memory load a lot. Some have many other features, aka cloud scanning, firewalls, that all use up more cycles. I find some products work more efficiently and silently, such as Vipre and ESET, and others appear to steal too many CPU cycles for my liking, aka Norton and Bitdefender. The built in Windows security is actually quite good protection for the price (free), and customizable, though sometimes like any of the other active scanning products I mentioned, can go rogue and take up 100% CPU. Usually this is some conflict with another process that can get resolved with some troubleshooting. Not much comfort I know, but these programs protect us from the evil Internet, and I for one am grateful for what they do.

BTW, Malwarebytes is excellent as the free version and is a must install. It doesn't active scan (unless you subscribe to it) but it as a manual scanner it is nearly full-featured and compliments the built in Windows Security quite well.

• Like 1