The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

Microsoft OSes will tell you directly if they think your license might be invalid. If you did not get any such message, the OS is probably thinking that the license is okay. So i would not expect the issue beeing about piracy in this case. Also Microsoft is now switching his core business to a much more cloud-based business model. So they also stopped caring about piracy in the last years anyway.

Microsoft's update process became more and more brittle in the last ten years - to the point where they already hat some scandals where companies had to reinstall lots of PCs because they would not boot or get right to the bluescreen after a regular update.

They got absurdly sloppy when it comes to their update process and the update QA. As it is now, most Linux distributions featuring automatic updates are doing them more reliably than Microsoft (it is a real shame because their update process was nearly perfect ten years ago - for the OS itself only of course)...

So yes, could very well be an update. Could also be a hardware failure or anything else of course.

As that OS installation seems to have accumulated quite some history now, i would recommend just getting rid of it.

Backup all the data (might as well backup everything and sort it out later) - twice if you can.

Then do a fresh install of whatever Os you want and chose to reformat the disk while installing it.

After that put some days to good use by reinstalling and configuring all the software you need and sift through the backupped data.

Well, Windows 10 OS has been simply reinstalled with 1803 running. I don't remember exactly what version it had prior to this but it was definitely an older patch running.

So, now it has no errors and everything runs smoothly. Makes me wonder about how reliable some updates (minor or major (such as Redstone)) can be in terms of troubleshooting them with whatever the PC might be running.

To be clear though - none of the data had been removed from the hard drive. It's just sort of "uncoupled" and not installed through the app manager or anything. No registry data through the regedit command invoked through pressing Windows key + R, or icons saved on the desktop/start menu and all that. Almost as if starting from a clean slate.

Thank you kindly for the answer in any case.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

found a fix on the internet for networked computers on windows 10, the following services need to be running. on any windows 10 lan connected machine on a private network.

DNS Client

Function Discovery Resource Publication <- windows 10 sets this to off and manual start after any major update

SSDP Discovery

uPnP Device Host <- on windows 10 home this is set to off and manual start after any major update.

windows 10 firewall has to be set to allow Network Discovery, its set to block/not allow by default.

you also have to turn on Network Discovery in the Network and Sharing Center in settings. they keep redesigning the settings to stop you from finding things

then the biggest headache starts, while you can see the machines, when you try to access them it will usually say this action is blocked by your it department contact your it department to get access, there's no it department here, so the action is blocked by microsoft or your virus checker or some other bollocks.

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 2

Ok, I think PC is ok with my enabling updates.

However, I wanted most of all to have Windows Defender and Firewall on just to have some sort of protection.

Enabled manually the Firewall.

However, can't turn on Windows Defender. Going to Services which gives access to Microsoft Management Control shows me that Windows Defender as such a Service locally is missing.

It is present through the regedit command and in the registry thingy there. But I had to set it back to defaults. But still seems as if there is some admin setting that's preventing me from enabling Microsoft Antivirus.

Internet seems to say that it's because there is another antivirus, but there was only a trial version of Avira which I deleted already. Can't figure out what's left that's blocking me from leaving the default antivirus enabled.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

badge?user=andarson

The Firewall should be on by default. Chose "public network" as profile in the network center and you should have the secure by default Firewall settings.

If Defender refuses to work, just go without an Antivirus. Viruses and Malware are higly polymorphic nowadays and heuristics of current snake oil solutions still suck. You do not feel their performance demand anymore (mostly because modern CPUs and SSDs just have plenty to waste) but they also do not bring you a measurable increase of security.

Todays Antivirus/Antimalware solutions are more like "lucky charms"...

• Like 1

Sometimes I wish I had nearly as many problems with Windows 10 as lots of others do. I actually WANT to hate it so I can be part of the crowd and understand their pain... but I just can't, because it works so damn well for me. Note that this is after a bit of tweaking, disabling the crap I don't like and finding workarounds/replacements to get things more to my liking. I guess I just decided fixed my issues with the OS was a better option than whining "oh woe is me!" on the Internet.

Please don't misunderstand, Windows 10 has its flaws certainly. I don't like most of the default settings for example. But every OS has its flaws (yes, even Linux), you just have to decide what flaws you can live with and mitigate them as best as you can. For some that might involve moving to Linux, and for much a time I thought of doing that myself (and occasionally experiment with distros in my free time). But to this day, nothing seems to suit my lifestyle better than Windows, warts and all, and I kinda I wish I hated it enough so I could feel less of an outsider for doing so.

I appreciate that there are genuine problems many people have it, but guys, most of those problems are solvable, you just don't know how! Maybe they shouldn't be problems that require solving in the first place, or maybe it's because I don't ascribe enough importance to said problems to consider them as such (e.g. privacy? you really think there's privacy anymore? Windows 10 telemetry is the least of your concerns). In any case, what's clear is that Windows 10 seems very decisive still, but it's a lot better now than it was on release.

Edited by Atomica
  • Like 2

It's a mixed bag of updates that aren't tested nearly well enough on old systems, thus rendering useless attempts at updating them and prevent them from booting. Meanwhile, slow timing for the necesarry security and hotfix updates to fix the persistent issues for bona fidae users. So that's a shame.

On today's episode of "stuff you don't want"... https://wccftech.com/microsoft-paid-desktop-as-a-service-windows-10/

Not free team viewer.

Btw, concerning the fines Google recently had, is there some sort of corporation alliance we're not aware of? The dude here escalates into fearmongering pretty quickly: https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/topstocks/google-stock-don-e2-80-99t-sweat-245-billion-eu-fine/ar-BBL5ke5

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

that page where it says its locked by your it department, means its actually locked by windows defender, so windows defender is actually on, you just can't see that it is. Microsoft is now your IT department. whether you want it or not. probably not.

that page where it says its locked by your it department, means its actually locked by windows defender, so windows defender is actually on, you just can't see that it is. Microsoft is now your IT department. whether you want it or not. probably not.

If Windows Defender was on, it would show it.

The catch is that there was Avira installed before that. Any time you have installed another antivirus, it blocks Windows Defender. I believe it also transfers all rights to it.

Thing is, Avira is hard to uninstall. I didn't even install it, the guys from the shop put it on for some reason but it was a free trial version that obviously works only for 30 days so it's useless.

Weird how Microsoft didn't figure a way to automatically turn back the default Windows Defender back on.

badge?user=andarson

the eu are fining google because the eu ran out of money a while ago. so they'll use any excuse to get money.

Well, it may be that the EU is not in the best position financially, but I don't think that it has to resort to fining companies over nothing. Many terms and conditions of google (and other companies like Facebook etc) are not valid (or even legal) under European law. However, these firms ignore this fact and ship their products the way they are, anyway. Thus, they are breaking EU laws and are fined. It has nothing to do with "just making quick money" (it won't be quick anyway, but will most likely take years and cost thousands of Euros/Dollars in legal fees).

• Like 1

Life is harsh.

badge?user=andarson

Sorry.

badge?user=andarson

Well, it may be that the EU is not in the best position financially, but I don't think that it has to resort to fining companies over nothing.

Er its hardly nothing, these american corporations have been abusing thier market dominance for years unchecked.

• Like 2

I appreciate that there are genuine problems many people have it, but guys, most of those problems are solvable, you just don't know how!

Is that the new "you are holding it wrong"?

I guess that there are quite some people here who just don't want to ditch their perfectly fine (for gaming at least) Windows 7 to replace it with Windows 10 - wich seems to be more brittle in general and contains the fallout of some new and rather controversial product design decisions.

• Like 1

That's true for Win 7, and also the whole thing with products as services or subscriptions IMO is a big problem nowadays. It mostly a benefit for companies that make them. It's something they want, and not something I need.

Can't fault them for following basic profit logic.

But I wonder if they have any answers to Papuan people all over the world, simply reinstalling the new Windows while not buying it every time they need to on a new machine.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

But I wonder if they have any answers to Papuan people all over the world, simply reinstalling the new Windows while not buying it every time they need to on a new machine.

The indigenous people of New Guinea never where their primary target group. ;)

Microsoft seems to concentrate on business segments only now. So they probably do not really care about pirated Windows on private PCs anymore. The sole reason for end customer versions of Windows is the marketing effect: Future customers become accustomed to Windows early on and most people never see another desktop because Windows is just everywhere (they totally lost the mobile market though).

• Like 1

Is that the new "you are holding it wrong"?

I guess that there are quite some people here who just don't want to ditch their perfectly fine (for gaming at least) Windows 7 to replace it with Windows 10 - wich seems to be more brittle in general and contains the fallout of some new and rather controversial product design decisions.

Well, no. I'm just a fan of practicality - fact is that newer hardware isn't really supported on Windows 7 anymore (in particular newer versions of Intel CPUs). You can argue that this is bad, that it's Intel's or Microsoft's fault or whatever, but that's mostly philosophical because it doesn't change the fact that this is the reality of the situation at hand. Not to mention Win 7 is going to stop updates in 2020 so not trying to at least learn how to leash Windows 10 and make it your bitch (assuming one sticks with the Windows ecosystem) seems to be foolhardy.

Win 10 isn't perfect, sure. In many ways it's substandard to Win 7... but the reality is it's being ignored by hardware manufacturers at the very least and eventually will lose updates, so you have to pick an exit strategy. I find it easier to just tweak the things I dislike in Windows 10 than move to an entirely different OS. I dunno, I guess I'm just burnt out from being being so emotional on the Internet over... everything these days it seems.

EDIT: I'll give you one exception though - I have a Ubuntu MATE 18.04 virtual machine running that I use essentially as my Linux fail-safe, tweaking and improving it in terms of desktop experience. I don't really want to move to Linux anymore because years of failed transitions and regret have burnt me out on it, but I can't seem to just say no to the idea of having a good Linux system in place as a fail-safe in case Windows is no longer palatable.

Edited by Atomica
  • Like 1

Well, no. I'm just a fan of practicality - fact is that newer hardware isn't really supported on Windows 7 anymore (in particular newer versions of Intel CPUs). You can argue that this is bad, that it's Intel's or Microsoft's fault or whatever, but that's mostly philosophical because it doesn't change the fact that this is the reality of the situation at hand. Not to mention Win 7 is going to stop updates in 2020 so not trying to at least learn how to leash Windows 10 and make it your bitch (assuming one sticks with the Windows ecosystem) seems to be foolhardy.

The real problem here is not, that it is now how it is, but that it keeps always beeing bad if users just swallow whatever Microsoft (or any other vendor) throws at them. Customers only have one superpower to use to get vendors to make products they like - not buying the products they don't like.

The best thing to do would be to switch to another vendor (does not have to be Linux, but Ubuntu is probably easier to use than Windows 10).

But even if a user plans to stick to the Windows ecosystem, he would better stick to the already purchased product he likes and knows as long as possible before "upgrading" to a lesser version. Early "upgrade" means more net time with the lesser product. So it would be foolish to "upgrade" before needing to.

EDIT: I'll give you one exception though - I have a Ubuntu MATE 18.04 virtual machine running that I use essentially as my Linux fail-safe, tweaking and improving it in terms of desktop experience. I don't really want to move to Linux anymore because years of failed transitions and regret have burnt me out on it, but I can't seem to just say no to the idea of having a good Linux system in place as a fail-safe in case Windows is no longer palatable.

I switched to Gentoo Linux for my main sytem some years ago. I only use Windows for gaming since then and plan to switch to Linux for gaming too as soon as Windows 7 stops receiving updates. But that probably will be an Ubuntu installation as that is much more mainstream and easier to get games to run on (also do not want to clutter my main system with stuff like Wine and other game dependencies).

Ubuntu is a good Linux distribution to start with. It is easy to use, comes with a huge community and a well-maintained software repository. Windows 10 is probably the second Windows that is harder to master than that (grats to Microsoft for getting that achievement, wasn't easy i guess)...

So just try again and if you try as hard as with Windows 10, you should succeed.

Edited by Abusimplea
  • Like 1