The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

"Windows 10 October 2018 Update is deleting user data — here's how to protect yourself"

"Don't install Windows 10 !" :P

Can confirm this update screws users over, I myself got steamrolled by it.

I utterly hate Windows 10 with the fiery depths of my soul. This garbage has frustrated me more than all other OS's I've ever used combined.

Edited by Aosys

I utterly hate Windows 10 with the fiery depths of my soul. This garbage has frustrated me more than all other OS's I've ever used combined.

Did your files get nuked; if so, do you want to save them? If so, stop using the PC immediately. The more you use it, the less likely you will be able to save them. Download a Linux distro with built in file carving tools on another computer, write it to a USB stick, boot the affected computer from that stick, and scavenge/save the files to a different drive, not the one in the computer as writing to the drive increases the chances of overwriting the deleted data.

EDIT: You can use Linux programs like Photorec and Foremost to sift through the raw partition and look for files of a specific type, like documents or music. If they are deleted, they're still there until overwritten by something else. But this is about as fun as it sounds; i.e. not at all.

Edited by kano
  • Like 1

It would have effected me had I been on Win10 as I run an SSD as my main drive and have all my user folders re-mapped to the mechanical drive. But I will be using windows 8.1 for the forseable future.

So it's eating emails or something? My mail seems to be ok thus far.

Am I ignorant?

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Don't think I lost anything, but it totally broke my wifi drivers. I managed to roll back to before the update, and I think all is well now. Not really concerned about it now, since it's a work computer, but it does make be feel really hesitant about buying a $1800 gaming laptop that can only run Windows 10...

So it is not an Insiders only update? In that case yeah it is no good.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

apparently caused by a new feature that deletes empty folders with the same name, but it didn't check to see if the folders were empty. supposed to have been fixed.

basically hunts down all duplicate folders on all attached drives and deletes them

Edited by stumpy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/05/busted_ssd_encryption/

Microsoft: "Users paid extra for an edition of Windows that supports full disk encryption, so let's just use the functionality that is already built into their disk drive and that we can't guarantee the quality of, instead of using our solution that we at least can assure has no fundamental or stupid caveats."

last update changed my keyboard config from uk to usa, and date system from uk to usa, I have a feeling that the person who creates the patches includes more than they should, or they have their own personal settings and think that everyone else should have them as well.

actually the uk language pack was missing and I had to get windows to download it and install it before changing keyboard and date back to what they were.

Edited by stumpy

• 2 weeks later...

This makes me wonder, if my PC is actually alright and it is Windows 10 that causes all the problems I am experiencing... It is bad if you cannot say, if the problems you have are from your hardware or your OS. If this would have happened to me, I would have suspected that my sound card went down.