The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

Haha, I wonder how didn't they get a warning to get a licenced version of Word/Excel.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/12/windows-10-activity-may-be-recorded-even-if-you-disable-it/

This thing really reminds me of the stereotypical creepy uncle who just won't accept "no" for an answer. I can't bring myself to inflict it on users.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/13/windows_10_carry_on_slurping/

Edited by kano

Has anyone else received a win10 update / nvidia update that has forced some apps to ignore painfully tuned GPU / app colour profile and use desktop instead?

Gamma's all over the place and it's messing up my prints - everything's coming out too dark - if I DCCW the gamma up - still doesn't match the colour profile for print.

I'm having to print out a tonne of tests in order to get Xmas prints (red is very dark, draining all CMYK jets) and skin-tones displaying the same on my screen as on anyone else's or from print.

The only colours that print out as they should are black and white - but I have to do all this in full colour and it's pissing me off. Asking everywhere.

i got a windows 10 intel graphic chip update recently that set the default graphics settings from using the install nvidia card to using the intel on chip graphic chip, found out this had happened after minecraft failed to load because it was set to run on nvidia and it tried to run the game on intel® hd graphics 4600 and locked up the computer.

the system is set not to update intel graphics in the registry, but windows update ignored that setting and updated anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Had to buy a new pc so resigned to Win10. :( GROUPING - anyone found a way to totally disable/remove this feature from file explorer? I know how to turn it off for each individual folder but I've got a hell of a lot of folders. I mean, this morning I turned it off for each drive in the nav pane. When I opened explorer 5 minutes later, 3 of them were okay but 1 still shows grouping. And now the option was removed from the drives. Why? So I find a tiny space in the right panel where the folders are list but not actually selecting one and disable grouping. But grouping is still there in every folder! Internet search just tells you to turn it off how I already know. Am I missing something?

File Explorer groups files and folders by default, that is, it sorts them into groups. You can group files by their properties; the default group is 'unspecified' but I don't need or want groups so they are an irritating distraction. How can the feature be turned off?

This is very fascinating. I never noticed this feature exists, as it is deactivated by default in my case.

You can try to deactivate grouping for one folder and transfer the view settings to all folders. I have a German version, so I hope that my translations are correct: On the tab "View" in the explorer you choose "Options", which should open the new window "Folder Options". This again has a tab "View". The top part has something like Folder View (?) with the option to adopt view options for all folders. This should transfer all view options of the current folder to all other folders. I have not tested it, as I fear I would lose any customizations for other folder (which you will most likely also do), but maybe it is worth a shot.

This is very fascinating. I never noticed this feature exists, as it is deactivated by default in my case.

Same here i think. I have an idea what it does though. Probably shows those blue "A-E" "F-I" kind of stuff when you tell the explorer to group by name. Why that would be turned on by default, and could not be deactivated, i have no idea.

Do you, by chance, have any kind of software installed which messes with the start menu or the explorer? Otherwise, try a full restart (not just "turn off PC"), which sometimes fixes such oddities.

Found the solution! :D Set Groups to 'none' in one folder then: Menu View - Options - View tab - Apply to [all] folders [of this type] That got rid of groups for folders in general. I'll probably have to repeat it if I come across say a folder full of music files or photos, etc but there are not so many types and anyway, they might not have been affected in the first place. Thanks for all suggestions anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, the fight begins. I've been blocking updates with my firewall (I think! Can't be certain M$oft have not been sneaking through. Been finding my hdmi tv monitor on sometimes in the morning (pc off) and felt sure I'd turned it off.)

Anyway, now I'm getting even more agressive M$oft warnings every hour 'Let's get back on track.... blah blah' with the only options to 'remind me again in an hour' or 'restart and update now'. So I've put it off for an hour.

Quick search of the web found freeware StopUpdates10 from greatis (I found it through Windows Club.) Both those website have their own agressive misleading deceiving adverts designed to trick you into thinking you're downloading the freeware you want so that didn't encourage me. Anyway, I downloaded and installed it and set it ON. Now, I wait to see what happens. If all goes well I can click its button to enable downloads WHEN I WANT NOT WHEN M$OFT WANT! Or I can not update at all. That's the theory.

Anyone tried this. With what results? Does it work? Are greatis to be trusted?

It amazes me the amount of trouble people are willing to go through to fight to decide how their computer behaves, which is of course their genuine right, but is slowly being stolen away from them bit by bit by large corporations. Supporting companies like Microsoft only makes the problem worse, which is why I will no longer do so.

I was playing a online game the other week and windows 10 did an update during a group dungeon run, wont get invited back to that group again, I disconnected during the last boss fight, am now on their ignore list thanks to windows 10 updating when it shouldn't.

Updates always going to feel awkward in timing when you're in the middle of something.

post-23762-0-03329300-1549710023_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Actually, I never had the problem that Windows simply restarted for an update. I usually see that there is a new update, when I want to turn off the PC for the night as there is a "Update and shut down" instead of the simpe "Shut down". Do you have Win10 Pro or Home?

Actually, I never had the problem that Windows simply restarted for an update. I usually see that there is a new update, when I want to turn off the PC for the night as there is a "Update and shut down" instead of the simpe "Shut down". Do you have Win10 Pro or Home?

That is the case for a few laptops I had as well. But there are problems for my desktop which is on Win 10 Pro 64 bit can't install the new updates even if I take the Microsoft Windows 10 Update assistant for the 1809 version (from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).It just restarts and at a certain point reverts to previous version due to something. Cannot figure out what.

Another laptop from HP freezes during restarts (it only turns off but it freezes at restart so you have to press to button to force it which of course kills the power supply thing, I try not to rape it) so I guess it doesn't update at all, though I didn't bother to troubleshoot it more. I guess the only way is to force install that new Windows version but files on hard drive are more precious than bothering to see through their integrity and the proper installation path for all apps that I need.

I suspect that the case here is that the Windows copies might not be genuine. Might explain why it's bringing this weird stuff. Though as I understand that should not be a problem anymore for pirated Windows copies but who knows. Nobody is obliged with anything to nobody. But you know, each time something like this happens, even if it was a genuine Windows copy originally, IT dudes just reinstall a new pirated Windows and that's the easiest shortcut all the time. Whatever, at least it works.

Another possibility is that PC's that originally had Windows 7 and were updated to Win 10 are more vulnerable to this than PC's that were upgraded from Win 8 (like my older Asus laptop on Celeron) or that had a Win 10 version preinstalled. Probably there is some legacy problems from Win 7 that bring their issues in a nice package with each update.

The funny thing is that this current laptop I'm writing on - Asus on a Celeron updates flawlessly to 1809 with no problems while the others have much, much better hardware. Literally the most pathetic computer updates well, while others keep running into problems. I have seldom seen flawless Win 10 updating experiences across different computers. The result varies wildly! So if I need to do urgent work - it is absolutely excluded that I update and then to be forced to run across town to figure how to reset it back and get my files from the hard drive (in the worst case)

With the latest 1809 version what I liked is that they have this dark theme for the file explorer without any customized UI skins.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson

Well, StopUpdates10 seems to be working. My update page says my Windows is uptodate! And I've seen no more nags! haha! In your face M$oft! I have taken back control! And I can reverse it if I change my mind.

I can't say I've totally tamed Win 10 but I've got a border theme similar to earlier Windows, a taskbar that remain hidden and NEVER pops up or down until I press a button, and my own task launcher which is infinitely better and clearer and simpler and infinitely configurable how I want, and NO desktop icons whatsoever except temporarily after an install. Clean, minimal, yet everything at hand. It's taken about six pieces of freeware to achieve it but it's tolerable.

• Like 1

I was playing a online game the other week and windows 10 did an update during a group dungeon run, wont get invited back to that group again, I disconnected during the last boss fight, am now on their ignore list thanks to windows 10 updating when it shouldn't.

Some BIOS update utilities work in Windows. You just know that at some point this is going to bite somebody in the ass. If you interrupt a BIOS flash, don't expect the computer to start ever again. Only a question of how long before some user gets nailed by this.

Edited by kano

i got windows 10 home version 1803, As far as I could tell it was a critical update, and windows 10 just applies them regardless of what you are doing, the update was for windows defender which i don't use.

windows 10 wont update if you are not connected to the internet, so if I was doing a bios update to the computer, the router would be off and not connected.