The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

17 hours ago, Shadow said:

All AV/AS products will suck up as much RAM is is needed to perform whatever options are selected. Just for basic file scanning none should be all that intrusive, but if you have email protection on, then it's scanning your mail inbox, and that can increase your memory load a lot. Some have many other features, aka cloud scanning, firewalls, that all use up more cycles. I find some products work more efficiently and silently, such as Vipre and ESET, and others appear to steal too many CPU cycles for my liking, aka Norton and Bitdefender. The built in Windows security is actually quite good protection for the price (free), and customizable, though sometimes like any of the other active scanning products I mentioned, can go rogue and take up 100% CPU. Usually this is some conflict with another process that can get resolved with some troubleshooting. Not much comfort I know, but these programs protect us from the evil Internet, and I for one am grateful for what they do.

BTW, Malwarebytes is excellent as the free version and is a must install. It doesn't active scan (unless you subscribe to it) but it as a manual scanner it is nearly full-featured and compliments the built in Windows Security quite well.

I don't really have many problems with CPU cycles. But in task manager RAM and Disk usage is often 100% with antivirus enabled. ?

How dangerous would it be to disable Windows Firewall?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Disabling Windows firewall is often necessary as it can be too intrusive. However you must have some perimeter firewall to take over the role. Never have your machine's IP ports on the wide open Internet. Many open ports are definitely dangerous and need to be blocked by your router or some other software firewall.

• Like 1

Everytime windows 10 does a major update it seems to reset the windows firewall removing all permissions, so that when you play a game that needs access to the internet you have to go through the process of getting windows firewall to allow access. The other day it blocked access to steam, had to give permission then restart steam, as once the firewall blocks access the firewall doesn't seem to allow access if the program that has been blocked is running.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/d93xir/stuck_on_this_screen_dont_want_to_create_a/

It's like a disease that you can't get rid of without performing a special voodoo incantation. God forbid someone wants to use their _personal_ computer without a Microsoft account!

Why is everyone beating up Microsoft so much around here? I see nothing but nasty privacy news from Twitter, Facebook, Google, Apple, and many others.

Just today...

https://gizmodo.com/stop-what-youre-doing-and-upgrade-to-ios-13-1-right-now-1838405217

Microsoft makes quality solid products for millions of people, consumer and corporate. Yes, there are hiccups. Security is hard, because there's a lot of bad guys, hence why it's lucrative. Isn't there a car repair shop every few blocks? Shouldn't cars get a bad rap then?

OK off my soapbox. I have to defend Microsoft when no one else will.

• Like 1

I think it's because it's an OS and not just a site or a program (that can be contained) we're talking about.  There's not much you can do to protect your privacy if the OS itself is poking you in the back door.  It's also because Microsoft are one of the very few companies to have been around for so long and have built up such a positive reputation, a legacy, for many of us since we used our first PC.  Also because there are almost no other suitable alternatives except Linux and even then we'd be looking into virtualising a Windows OS or 2 with it, in order to do everything we want.  I see the 20s as being the age of multiple systems, multiple HDDs and partitions that multiboot/virtualise multiple OSes for various purposes.  I also see many of these companies (trying to) demand more and more of our data (even passports, etc.) just for basic use.

Also the Microsoft Mothership completely borked my sound drivers. I was on the line with MSI customer support for over two hours trying to fix Windows 10's oopsie, and now I know the next time I get a Windows update they make break my machine again...

16 hours ago, Shadow said:

Why is everyone beating up Microsoft so much around here? I see nothing but nasty privacy news from Twitter, Facebook, Google, Apple, and many others.

Just today...

https://gizmodo.com/stop-what-youre-doing-and-upgrade-to-ios-13-1-right-now-1838405217

Microsoft makes quality solid products for millions of people, consumer and corporate. Yes, there are hiccups. Security is hard, because there's a lot of bad guys, hence why it's lucrative. Isn't there a car repair shop every few blocks? Shouldn't cars get a bad rap then?

OK off my soapbox. I have to defend Microsoft when no one else will.

In a way true, in a way not quite.

All OS's have a problem. Android, iOS, Windows that when you go on old hardware too long and keep updating, the updates just break your device and you have to backtrack updates / disable manually various functions.

Car repair shops are ok when they don't charge you too much for stuff or replace faulty parts and charge for them as if they're new. Especially if you're not tech savvy. Very easy to milk money. The most vulnerable people are those who are poor / live in a poor country / have an expensive car.

Concerning Windows, I'm usually content with how it works, but the fact that there seems to be no threshold for updates kind of makes me worried. Maybe I'm a junky for making stuff work as long as possible and squeeze all the time I can out of it but it is not good if an OS works in a way that interferes with this. A consumerist economy where people buy things all the time and throwing away perfectly working stuff just because they have money, is not a healthy mindset and it's not sustainable. And again, the poorer people suffer the most because nobody studies how it affects them. They're not the target audience. That means there should be an option for more customization of Windows and its in-built features / apps including Windows Defender to help owners of old PC's.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tech-antitrust-google-exclusive/exclusive-texas-signs-ex-microsoft-lawyer-others-to-aid-in-google-antitrust-probe-idUSKBN1WB14N?il=0

Edited by Anderson
News.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

For me personally, this is where I drew the line. https://www.extremetech.com/computing/241587-microsoft-finally-admits-malware-style-get-windows-10-upgrade-campaign-went-far

Once you start deliberately designing your products to trick, take advantage of people or wear them down with incessant nagging, that is beyond the point of forgiveness in my book. To Microsoft's credit, malicious user interfaces are pretty standard today. I have an Android tablet with one particular app on it, solely for offline use. It asks me if I want to update the app constantly. I say "not now". That's because my only options are "not now" and "update". This particular app is written by a certain company with a track record of pushing the boundaries of acceptable behavior.., so I don't really want it connecting to the Internet. They just do not understand, or more likely choose to not understand, that I do not want this software connecting to the Internet, ever. It is solely for offline use and there should be an option to permanently dismiss a dialog like this and make it stop nagging me. If there was an option in the UI to firewall this program off from the network entirely, I would have done so already.

Back when software developers had a shred of respect for users, there was always a "don't ask again" button. But those days are long gone, save for in the free and open source world. We don't pick on Microsoft exclusively, but this is a Microsoft thread, so Microsoft is naturally going to be the prime subject of discussion here. I don't imagine that there are that many Apple users on these forums, because Apple isn't big in the computer gaming sector. I myself have almost no experience with their products whatsoever. Likewise for Chromebooks/Chrome OS. They have hardly any presence in the gaming sphere, save for very simple games that do not require demanding hardware

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-users-fume-microsoft-wheres-our-local-account-option-gone/

Average user: "Domain join account"... da fuck does that mean? I better not click it because I don't know what it means. All I want is an offline account. (assuming the user even knows what this means) And I've learned already that clicking stuff I don't understand, is bad. Now why won't they let me use my computer without giving them all this personal information? I never had to do that while I was setting up my old one!

But the truth is that if this system works correctly, then people who are new to computers will not even realize that an offline account was an option.

there is a offline account, just don't turn the internet on to use it, there's also the option to have no login, if you need to change the drive that windows 10 is on because it died then you need a microsoft account to write a copy of the free version of windows 10 to the new drive, else you have to buy a new version of windows 10 operating system.

• Like 1

Hmmm, won't having a non Microsoft account with some generic "User" created by default be enough to ensure access if our drive dies?

Edited by Anderson
Details.

badge?user=andarson

9 hours ago, stumpy said:

there is a offline account, just don't turn the internet on to use it, there's also the option to have no login, if you need to change the drive that windows 10 is on because it died then you need a microsoft account to write a copy of the free version of windows 10 to the new drive, else you have to buy a new version of windows 10 operating system.

You have to make sure that your internet is turned off, while installing. Otherwise an online account is automatically created. The first time I installed my version was with at a friend's, so I had no internet there. When I reinstalled after a hard disc crash (unrelated to Win10; at least as far as I can tell) I had the internet already plugged in and did not have the option to create an offline account. Had to unplug first. Otherwise you have an online account that runs connects every time you turn on the internet.

• Like 1

I put in a feature request to see ads on the Windows 10 boot screen. Why not? Ads are already on the lock screen and start page, and you can't use the computer during the boot process anyway, so that is a perfect time to show you some ads! Come on Microsoft, fetch some ads while the computer is running and randomly set them as the new boot splash, it's not hard! I could probably code that one up.

Anyway, the request just got silently deleted. It's like when you bring up one of those topics that specific religious groups have a track record of covering up and really don't want to talk about. Or maybe they're just going to steal my idea, and not give me proper credit for it.

At least we can express ourselves openly here without corporations censoring things. And since I don't use Windows 10, I really truly do want them to put ads on the boot screen, so that I can laugh some more. I'll just have to be patient.

• Haha 1

Thoughts?

badge?user=andarson

I get it, this guy is shown as trying to help out computer users by giving away already free restoration software, saving the planet, etc. It's commendable and easy to feel good about his liberal cause. That's how the mini-movie is portrayed...

However...

Eric was giving away what wasn't his to begin with. It shouldn't matter if it's free. Because a company and it's partners give it away for free doesn't equate to everyone being able to give it away for free, because it isn't anyone else's to give away. That's like saying OK, a car manufacturer designs cars so anyone can drive them, but once you own yours, only you can decide who to let drive it, not someone else.

Another thought. Microsoft and Dell may not know what kind of operation he was running if he was using their logos and fonts without partnering up. Could he in any way slip in any malware? Could he control that process within his own companies? Does he personally inspect every disk that is released and certify it? Can he control rogue operators in his own company not to cause damage to computers? Certainly Microsoft and Dell can't unless they were a partner with his company. It's just too much variance in the ecosystem that they control not to go after Eric and keep people from releasing whatever they want that's been copyrighted.

He is right that the one thing that would have avoided his crime is not using Microsoft or Dell logos and fonts. Plenty of people do that. That shows independence from the ecosystem which is fine. Anyone can do that. But he passed around his disks as seeming to be part of the offerings of the companies and that's a no-no.

It's a shame that no one at Microsoft would meet with him. That is the one thing that roiled me up a bit and I wish the movie spent more time showing that pompousness.

Eric is a very wealthy entrepreneur but he admits he crossed the line. Don't feel bad for him. He drives a Tesla and has a huge house and a big pool and his profitable recycling companies still ran while he was in prison. He was no stumblebum that Microsoft went after just to prove their might.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/22/office_365_bing/

Here's a novel idea. The computer stays the way that I configured it. No company arbitrarily adjusts the settings to prefer their products right under the end user's nose. These companies know as well as I do that millions of grannies won't notice what they did, the rest won't know how to change it back the way that it was.

• Like 1

It's not only with search engines, they do it with their default system system apps too. E.g. I'm used to the good old IrfanView for image browsing and some basic quick editing, but every now and then win10 sends me a message that Irfan "crashes too often" and it had to be replaced by the system app for image files. Yeah, right.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3519872/win10-search-blackout-due-to-fiber-provider-glitch-pull-the-other-one-microsoft.html

Welcome to "software as  a service"! Through the magic of an Internet connection and compulsory updates (take it or... take it), your computer is now someone else's play thing. Some (like me) liken this to being put on a leash. Next on the agenda is making you pay monthly to use your personal machine, and rigging it so that whenever the network is unusable for any not inconsiderable length of time, so is your PC! "Sorry, couldn't sign you in, come back later."

They already tried to cram this type of policy up the ass of gamers once before, and it did not go down well.

https://kotaku.com/xbox-one-needs-to-connect-to-the-internet-every-24-hour-511751949

Anyway, looking around the Internet, you can see that average Joes are starting to grow wrestless. Not that they'll do anything about it mind you (i.e. switch to Linux), because playing AAA video games is the only thing that matters in this world!

• Like 1