The Dark Mod Forums

Mortal Combot!

god_is_my_goldfish

As for protecting China, the bots generally turned up in places were there wasn't much fragile stuff to damage. It makes sense to have one walking a circuit around the hammerite church, where it needs to be most heavily guarded, and the only things out there are stone walls.

Nothing wrong with that. I agree that they might be appropriate outdoors. But if we're going to have bots patrolling museums, libraries or other place with breakables, we should probably have a different version/weapon available.

Why do I feel like we've now gone full circle? :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with that. I agree that they might be appropriate outdoors. But if we're going to have bots patrolling museums, libraries or other place with breakables, we should probably have a different version/weapon available.

I always thought that's what the "gold heads" camera/turret combination setups were for.

Placed in key rooms where the line of fire wouldn't hit anything important.

Or we could just give the moving bots the same arrow attack instead of grenades. THey should have an electrical attack as well, and a gas attack. THere are many 'cleaner' alternatives to explosives.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

How about acid? :P

Seriously though, and I can't believe I'm about to suggest this, because I typically hate anachronistic things like this (perfect example - Ultima - McDonalds? Kilrathi ship (oh that's soooo funny)? Musket rifle?), but with bots it seems okay. Since they are already quite mechanically impressive, and they have already had cannonballs, I half-think, why would they even bother with arrows? They'd have bullets. Not a machine gun, but maybe a bullet-every-few-seconds type of deal.

I feel dirty.

There's nothing sophisicated about guns, their operation is very simple, the chinese were shooting projectiles out of bamboo tubes 800 years ago with gunpowder, and guns still use the same basic principal.

I personally have no problems with flintlock weapons in the game, but not for the player obviously, they make too much noise.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

It would not unbalance the game for guards to carry flinlocks, since they only have one shot, and take quite a while to reload, in which time the guard is incapacitated and fully concentraing on reloading, so the high damage from the gun would be balanced.

edit: - in fact what would probably happen is that the guard wouldn't even bother to reload during an encounter or chase, but try to use his one shot at the most opportune time,. and if it fails, he'd resort to sword.

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

But then the gun should have a bajonett(english?) so the gaurd can ust it like a sword as well. That was IMO the point of this thing, because the guns were to slow. Question is, do we really want to have this? We have bows and crossbows and apart from the variety for the looks, it will not add THAT much. It would need additional animations as well.

Gerhard

I think it would add a nice edge to the game, knowing the guards (probaby elites) had a one shot kill - but only one attempt at it. No bayonette, baynonettes are only for battle situations. THe guards would be carrying swords. I'd make the guns flinklock pistols anway, rather than rifles, that way they can tuck them in their belt when they use the shot, and then draw their sword.

edit: Then again, rifles look better, and have a longer range, and are more accurate, and they could have them on a strap to sling over their shoulders.

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

I also think rifles are better and they would fit the eara. I only suggested the bayonettes because what happens when they try to shoot at the player and miss while the player is closing in. They woul dhave to throw away the rifle (or even worse, put it away) and then draw the sword. In the meantime they are defenseless which means that the player can go for an easy kill. Just dodge the shot, which should not be to hard and then stab the AI.

Gerhard

Guns should definitely NOT be included. It totally changes the feel of the setting, and makes many of our weapon/armour combinations pointless. Having city watch with chain-mail and swords makes little sense when flintlocks are available.

Guns should definitely NOT be included. It totally changes the feel of the setting, and makes many of our weapon/armour combinations pointless. Having city watch with chain-mail and swords makes little sense when flintlocks are available.

No it doesn't, the player doesn't have one, remember. And it doesn't not change the feel of anything, guns are as old as anything else in the game. Just becasue LGS didn't include them, doesn't mean they don't fit. LGS included bots that have side mounted cannons ffs, so I don't see how some flintlock rifles will destroy the setting.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Guns would be fine for the Mechanist house guards, since its a Victorian setting. Might be fun to have a few in a Thieves Highway style setting. But they should be altogether rare. As long as they're made to look very old fashioned, flismy, and hard to use.

It doesn't matter if the player has them. In a world with flintlocks, it doesn't make sense for guards to be using swords and bows. But beyond whether or not it makes sense, we're trying to create a certain sense of style and atmosphere in the game. Adding guns would destroy the atmosphere just as quickly as adding UFOs and martians would.

It doesn't matter if the player has them.  In a world with flintlocks, it doesn't make sense for guards to be using swords and bows.  But beyond whether or not it makes sense, we're trying to create a certain sense of style and atmosphere in the game. 

Of course it does, a good archer could get 10 shots away in the time someone with a flintlock could shoot twice. This is the early days of the gun, armour and chainmail didn't disappear the day after the first gun was made. Guns were a status symbol more than anything practical, so they should be rare.

You're comparing the believability of flinklocls which were around 600 years ago, to aliens?

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

It has nothing to do with how historical something is. Decisions about whether or not to add something new to the setting can change the atmosphere of that setting. Our setting is fantasy, right? But that doesn't mean we could just casually add unicorns or dragons. Doing so would totally change the feel of the environment. So would adding fully-armoured jousting competitions, or guns.

If people absolutely had to have them, making them some rare mechanite invention that only they know how to make and use could probably work. But they shouldn't be in the hands of anyone else. And I don't think we should even do that.