The Dark Mod Forums

Your TDM game brightness and gamma

teh_saccade

Under ideal circumstances, 1 and 1 should suffice. The mapper shouldn't build off that because their monitor could very well be set up weird though. If you want a baseline for darkness, look to the light gem. At "0.04 0.04 0.04" global ambient light the light gem should be barely lit and completely unlit when crouched.

I've had mine to 1 and 1 but lately my monitor's been giving me trouble and making things darker, so I bump the gamma to 1.2. Generally, when playing at daytime I have to up the gamma as well, since 1 gamma really only works at night with the lights turned off.

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Monitors differ, so you should rely more on the monitor calibration room in the Training Mission than any specific value.

Personally, I believe people build their levels a bit brighter than optimal. My missions use an ambient of 0.06 (PD2, PD3), or even 0.05 (Fauchard Street, PD1 - the lower crypt level has 0.02!). Only Return to the City used 0.08.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I have two crap monitors, and the difference between absolute black and very very very dark gray are super obvious to me. I have to turn mine up a bit, simply because when it gets too dark my entire screen just becomes a few gray blobs that kill the immersion. To counteract this, I never bring my lantern.

I hereby grant you, Twitch, the Glenham Tower Climbing Award!

I figured off topic is read by people from "both forums", editors and players...

And you write to say off topic is on topic, but you don't report your gamma?? Brethren pls... :P

Only reason I mentioned it is because I think you'd get a far better response posting in the main TDM forum. This forum is usually about other games, so you're likely to miss some of the regulars who don't care about that kind of stuff.

For the record, my brightness/gamma are both about 0.9.