The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Accountant 2: New In Town by Goldwell (2016/05/09)

Goldwell

Finished. My previous comment on it not being a standard thieving affair was way too early :)

Very much reminded me of Penumbra and Amnesia in that

my course was being controlled by higher-dimensional beings/aliens.

The music is too clear, too modern.

The elevator takes way too long to change floors, the shaking gives you the sense you are going fast and it feels like I had crossed 8 floors each time.

The rest was amazing and thank you very much for the mission, I can't wait to

finally to be on a train in The Dark Mod :)

Edit:

Oh, yes, forgot to say, the last parts also reminded me of Thief 2 FMs Eclipsed and The Greyfeather Gems - Part 2: Rodamill

Edited by SuaveSteve
  • Like 1

I haven't played this mission yet.

Are there card players?

Yep

Sorry, I have to ask for help :(

I'm stuck in the second floor, where this skeleton awakened on the one side and the space under the painting made room for a little hallway by using the lever on the other side. But I seem to lack a key there which I cannot find... is it somewhere where the skeleton is? I found a key there, but it doesn't open the door in the little room under the painting.

Edited by Nico A.

Sorry, I have to ask for help :(

I'm stuck in the second floor, where this skeleton awakened on the one side and the space under the painting made room for a little hallway by using the lever on the other side. But I seem to lack a key there which I cannot find... is it somewhere where the skeleton is? I found a key there, but it doesn't open the door in the little room under the painting.

The door opens by the fixtures close to it and you probably have the key already. I am not sure, where to get it, but it's not in Johns appartment.

The key is past the nude lady. In the room with the fountain statue around water assembly, go through the glass tiled door and you'll find it, if you have not already

Edited by hanmin

The key is past the nude lady. In the room with the fountain statue around water assembly, go through the glass tiled door and you'll find it, if you have not already

Thanks so far, but I still don't get it...

I looked everywhere behind that glass door. (I suspect the room is not just there for nudity ;) ). But there I didn't find a key. I have three keys in my inventory (maybe one of them I have found there, but I don't remember): the office key, the bedroom key and the key to John's appartment. None of them opens that lock with the gears.

Edited by Nico A.

Thanks so far, but I still don't get it...

I looked everywhere behind that glass door. (I suspect the room is not just there for nudity ;) ). But there I didn't find a key. I have three keys in my inventory (maybe one of them I have found there, but I don't remember): the office key, the bedroom key and the key to John's appartment. None of them opens that lock with the gears.

Ok, sorry, that was my fault.

The key past the naked lady is the bedroom key. You need the "peculiar looking key".

Hint

Look in the dining room

Bigger hint

Check the clock

Solution

The clock is frobbable and moves when you do. After that, you can reach a switch on the back of the clock, that opens a hidden door in the wall.

Ah! Thank you, now I have it. Was there a hint to this particular spot that I missed?

Most of that information is mentioned in the readable by the bed of the sleeping servant.

Finished this FM today...

The intro: 5/5, amazing job as always, 100% Goldwell quality :D
The voice acting: 5/5, brilliant, surpassing many AAA titles
The FM (till sewers): 5/5, amazing level design, great readables, great characters, so many things to explore, top 5 TDM FM material
The FM (from sewers onwards): 1/5, to keep it short... WTF... low quality level design/mapping (feels like a Thief 1 FM graphic wise), weird plot twist, feels rushed ...
Overall: Still a great FM, but the last 15 minutes ... i don´t know about that, maybe Part 3 will make this turnaround acceptable plotwise, but the overall drop in quality after entering the sewers is huge... Well, i will still give it a 4/5, there are just too many things in this FM that are very well done, but like in your Lord Edgars Bathhouse FM, there are so many missed opportunities in the end. I still hope you keep it up and maybe i am all alone with my opinion of the ending and other people think more positive of it.

EDIT: The style of music chosen and the "alien" secret are fine in my opinion, an author should always have the freedom to give his work its own touch, so I can´t agree with the critics on those parts.

Edited by Cookie

Finished this FM today...

The intro: 5/5, amazing job as always, 100% Goldwell quality :D

The voice acting: 5/5, brilliant, surpassing many AAA titles

The FM (till sewers): 5/5, amazing level design, great readables, great characters, so many things to explore, top 5 TDM FM material

The FM (from sewers onwards): 1/5, to keep it short... WTF... low quality level design/mapping (feels like a Thief 1 FM graphic wise), weird plot twist, feels rushed ...

Overall: Still a great FM, but the last 15 minutes ... i don´t know about that, maybe Part 3 will make this turnaround acceptable plotwise, but the overall drop in quality after entering the sewers is huge... Well, i will still give it a 4/5, there are just too many things in this FM that are very well done, but like in your Lord Edgars Bathhouse FM, there are so many missed opportunities in the end. I still hope you keep it up and maybe i am all alone with my opinion of the ending and other people think more positive of it.

EDIT: The style of music chosen and the "alien" secret are fine in my opinion, an author should always have the freedom to give his work its own touch, so I can´t agree with the critics on those parts.

I'm glad you enjoyed the mission up to a point. The latter points you made I don't agree with though.

Of course everyone is going to enjoy different elements due to play style tastes and difference's but this mission was planned and detailed thoroughly throughout the whole of it. It wasn't rushed in anyway shape or form.

The lord Edgar's bathhouse comment I don't quite understand as well because I took onboard all of the critiques from that and worked on the problems (not enough readables, not enough explained, the world needs to be larger, etc).

If you're unhappy with the plot I would recommend avoiding the rest of the accountant series as I doubt you will like the direction its headed in, especially if you strongly disliked the AC2 ending as you stated.

I have other missions coming out with more normal storylines so if you enjoy my mapping style and all that I'd recommend sticking to those.

Edited by Goldwell

I'm glad you enjoyed the mission up to a point. The latter points you made I don't agree with though.

Of course everyone is going to enjoy different elements due to play style tastes and difference's but this mission was planned and detailed thoroughly throughout the whole of it. It wasn't rushed in anyway shape or form.

The lord Edgar's bathhouse comment I don't quite understand as well because I took onboard all of the critiques from that and worked on the problems (not enough readables, not enough explained, the world needs to be larger, etc).

If you're unhappy with the plot I would recommend avoiding the rest of the accountant series as I doubt you will like the direction its headed in, especially if you strongly disliked the AC2 ending as you stated.

I have other missions coming out with more normal storylines so if you enjoy my mapping style and all that I'd recommend sticking to those.

Regarding the comment on the bathhouse FM: the biggest "flaw" of that one was not the quality of the mission itself - it was quite a good one, overall. It just felt that the ending of the mission wasn´t as satisfying for me as the beginning of it - which is the same situation for me with this FM now. Of course you cannot relate this comment to the overall design of AC2, which, as you said, improved on almost every aspect compared to the Bathhouse.

And to add something to the conversation - I also really liked the humor you put in this one, a drug-addicted priest named Gelo? Poor Moonbo :D

I originally posted this in the TDM beta testing thread, but wanted to post my thoughts in public too:

WOW! What a great mission! I think it just topped "Patently Dangerous" to be my favorite Dark Mod FM ever. The sheer level of creativity, the scale, the variety, the attention to detail, and all the little touches and quirks really remind me of something that would have come out at the start of the Thief modding community, when the possibilities seemed endless and everyone's imaginations were running wild. Just full marks all the way around.
  • Like 2

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I originally posted this in the TDM beta testing thread, but wanted to post my thoughts in public too:

WOW! What a great mission! I think it just topped "Patently Dangerous" to be my favorite Dark Mod FM ever. The sheer level of creativity, the scale, the variety, the attention to detail, and all the little touches and quirks really remind me of something that would have come out at the start of the Thief modding community, when the possibilities seemed endless and everyone's imaginations were running wild. Just full marks all the way around.

Thank you so much Moonbo! It really means a lot to hear that coming from someone as talented as you :)

2: I could only find 3 2 of the red gems....

2) There are only 2 red gems in the mission, where did you find the third? regardless they don't effect the mission completing

I am confused

(How) is it possible to complete the according objective of collecting 4?

I am confused

(How) is it possible to complete the according objective of collecting 4?

Crystals 3 and 4 are to be found later in the series

• Like 1

I've been playing TDM for a very long time now but somehow hadn't joined this community. However, Goldwell, after playing "The Accountant 2" I felt the need to register here right away to thank you and say that for me this was the best mission I've ever played, period. I had so much fun I can't even describe. And I'm not lying when I say it felt like a full-blown standalone computer game. Top quality stuff you've made. :)

Thank you! And welcome to the forums :)

• Like 1