The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Accountant 2: New In Town by Goldwell (2016/05/09)

Goldwell

Hello sorry for the bump, but I cant' seem to pick up one gold purse inside the office where you unlock the safe behind the painting, how can i fix this?

Are you referring to the one on the very top floor?

Are you referring to the one on the very top floor?

Yes i don't know why, i managed to pick up all the bottles and one of the coin purse, but the other doesn't even highlight. I wanted to put all of this in spoiler but i don't know how.

It's something that happened while playing other fan mission too, dunno what exactly causes it that some loot are unpickable

Edited by brh

Yes i don't know why, i managed to pick up all the bottles and one of the coin purse, but the other doesn't even highlight. I wanted to put all of this in spoiler but i don't know how.

You can write in a spoiler on the forum by clicking on the "Special BBCode" button (which is the third button from the top left on the reply form here) and then selecting "spoiler" from the drop down menu or just writing it manually into the text box like so: [ spoiler] spoiler in here

As for your issue with the coin purse not highlighting I am not sure if there is a solution, looking at the safe in the editor I can see all pieces of loot are under the same frob control box (this entity determines what is frobable and what isn't). So basically it should either all be frobable or none of it. It's quite strange that a single piece of loot isn't frobable though.

You can either load back to a save game before opening the safe and try opening it again or you'll just have to leave the loot there and move on.

You can write in a spoiler on the forum by clicking on the "Special BBCode" button (which is the third button from the top left on the reply form here) and then selecting "spoiler" from the drop down menu or just writing it manually into the text box like so: [ spoiler] spoiler in here

As for your issue with the coin purse not highlighting I am not sure if there is a solution, looking at the safe in the editor I can see all pieces of loot are under the same frob control box (this entity determines what is frobable and what isn't). So basically it should either all be frobable or none of it. It's quite strange that a single piece of loot isn't frobable though.

You can either load back to a save game before opening the safe and try opening it again or you'll just have to leave the loot there and move on.

Thanks for the tip about spoiler, Yes that's what i did this is the second time and i can't still loot it. I'd like to figure this since this is like the 2nd or 3rd time it happens on a mission. I'll retry again wth another load.By the way lovely missions, i'll be sure to play the others too

Edited by brh

I think your problem is the "unattainable loot" issue, which I come across on many missions. Version 2.06, currently in Beta, is supposed to address this.

Thank you for the answer, it might be!

On a side note has the side quest of doing the ritual any loot apart for showing you the lord you robbed? ;P

Thank you for the answer, it might be!

On a side note has the side quest of doing the ritual any loot apart for showing you the lord you robbed? ;P

it's just the vision of the lord you robbed, no loot

• 3 months later...

You madman! You told me to get ready to be disappointed! But the Accountant maps are just as amazing, and only a little less open and sprawling. My only criticism is that the 2nd part of Accountant II felt like it would have been better served being expanded into its own full mission instead closing out what already felt like fully fleshed and self-contained mission. But it's just an issue with the pacing than any complaint about the content, which went well beyond anything I ever expected to see from a Dark Mod mission.

I really dig the Trickster/Outsider vibes going on, and I'm eager to see more supernatural elements that not only feel earned by the plot, but also feel natural in their own space.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to finishing this. I started it nearly 2 years ago, but, well...

John freaked me out and I shut the game down right there.

Playing through it now I was like 'really, wow, that was easy, what happened last time?' and I have no idea. Maybe I was seen and it traumatized me so much that I had to let the memory fade?

Anyway, this mission was so full of surprises! Unexpected and great surprises!

I have a lingering question, however. Near the end, there's a locked door that I could find no way through.

It's in the building where the silent guardian roams, and is across the hall from the barracks.

Is there a way in, or anything in there of note? I already know I missed some items in one room earlier on, but that was purposefully.

I tried several times to loot the zombie doctor's room, but frobbing anything aside from his journal always woke him up, and so I just noped right out of there.

That'd be part of my missing loot (5868/6167), but I'm not a 'must get it ALL' person- aside from secrets, which I got all of, thank you so much for adding them!

I'm really looking forward to where this goes next; your missions are always a pleasure to play.

I finally got around to finishing this. I started it nearly 2 years ago, but, well...

John freaked me out and I shut the game down right there.

Playing through it now I was like 'really, wow, that was easy, what happened last time?' and I have no idea. Maybe I was seen and it traumatized me so much that I had to let the memory fade?

Anyway, this mission was so full of surprises! Unexpected and great surprises!

I have a lingering question, however. Near the end, there's a locked door that I could find no way through.

It's in the building where the silent guardian roams, and is across the hall from the barracks.

Is there a way in, or anything in there of note? I already know I missed some items in one room earlier on, but that was purposefully.

I tried several times to loot the zombie doctor's room, but frobbing anything aside from his journal always woke him up, and so I just noped right out of there.

That'd be part of my missing loot (5868/6167), but I'm not a 'must get it ALL' person- aside from secrets, which I got all of, thank you so much for adding them!

I'm really looking forward to where this goes next; your missions are always a pleasure to play.

I’m glad you enjoyed the mission but sadly the accountant 3 seems unlikely to be created at this point. Currently I’m focusing on finishing the Shadows of Northdale campaign.

In regards to your questions

The locked door you’re referring to can only be opened by that spirit. It’s a room he starts in so there’s not much to see there anyway.

The zombie on the third floor is setup so that if anything in the room gets touched he wakes up. I did that because it helped to add more of a challenge to the room. If he was just laying there doing nothing I feel that wouldn’t be too exciting for the player. It is possible however to grab all of the loot in the room and get out without being seen, but you need to be reallly fast :)

• 2 months later...

This FM was quite the experience. Definitely had its fair share of pros and cons for me:

The biggest pro is by far the attention to detail put into this mission! It scratched an itch I have with most open-source games: Developers thinking that if a world plays well, they don't need to add all those little things that the player will likely not notice anyway. This FM added a lot of effects and interactions, and it felt like I played an AAA game that was designed by top developers. Great job :D

The second biggest pro in my book was your mixture between TDM's medieval setup and modern elements. Apart from a certain item required to advance the mission, you've done some impressive work with the music. I'd love to see more FM's that take place in an alternate reality where some cultures were discovered before their time, including music or art slightly from the future.

The biggest con was that in my opinion, too much was crammed into a single FM, and it went on for longer than it should have. I believe the FM should have ended right after the sewer area: Everything beyond that felt like a different FM entirely, and IMO would have been best left for part 3. The map is also quite big for this reason which makes loading times unusually high.

Overall I cannot wait to see the next FM you make, whether it's the continuation to this or any other that has this level of effort put into it. You're truly doing a fantastic job.

• Like 1

This FM was quite the experience. Definitely had its fair share of pros and cons for me:

The biggest pro is by far the attention to detail put into this mission! It scratched an itch I have with most open-source games: Developers thinking that if a world plays well, they don't need to add all those little things that the player will likely not notice anyway. This FM added a lot of effects and interactions, and it felt like I played an AAA game that was designed by top developers. Great job :D

The second biggest pro in my book was your mixture between TDM's medieval setup and modern elements. Apart from a certain item required to advance the mission, you've done some impressive work with the music. I'd love to see more FM's that take place in an alternate reality where some cultures were discovered before their time, including music or art slightly from the future.

The biggest con was that in my opinion, too much was crammed into a single FM, and it went on for longer than it should have. I believe the FM should have ended right after the sewer area: Everything beyond that felt like a different FM entirely, and IMO would have been best left for part 3. The map is also quite big for this reason which makes loading times unusually high.

Overall I cannot wait to see the next FM you make, whether it's the continuation to this or any other that has this level of effort put into it. You're truly doing a fantastic job.

Thank you for the kind words!

I do try and make a big deal about having environments feel lived in and as interactive as possible, different things that sometimes go unnoticed but I hope together they all add upto a more enjoyable situation. In terms of style I like to have fun with mixing medieval and steampunk, infact the steampunk fantasy style is great because you can bring modern equipment into a medieval world but still make it feel right. I do know there are some parts where it goes maybe a little too far but you live and learn.

As for your con, I agree that the mission length is a problem there, I played through this mission a couple of months back and found that it gets really long and drags on in certain areas. That's something that moving forward with other projects I am working hard on, trying to make sure everything fits into a one hour length but still feel detailed and be more open-ended. It's always a hard balance trying to sit between a good length and an enjoyable experience, some enjoy really short missions, others really long but generally I find if you don't feature creep you can help to avoid those issues. The accountant 2 had a lot of feature creeping and was definitely a lesson to learn in level design but all of the feedback I recieved both positive and negative have helped future projects in their balance and playability.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for my next projects too, while the accountant series is on indefinite hold, the Shadows of Northdale campaign is powering on strong. Both act 2 and 3 are being worked on and I am really looking forward to sharing those when the time comes.

As for your con, I agree that the mission length is a problem there, I played through this mission a couple of months back and found that it gets really long and drags on in certain areas. That's something that moving forward with other projects I am working hard on, trying to make sure everything fits into a one hour length but still feel detailed and be more open-ended. It's always a hard balance trying to sit between a good length and an enjoyable experience, some enjoy really short missions, others really long but generally I find if you don't feature creep you can help to avoid those issues. The accountant 2 had a lot of feature creeping and was definitely a lesson to learn in level design but all of the feedback I recieved both positive and negative have helped future projects in their balance and playability.

Seeing your mission making style I think you'd be a good candidate for using the campaign system. Almost every FM you find for TDM is a single-mission, few campaigns have ever been made thus far. I'd generally love to see long complex stories with +10 maps... which don't all need to be unique levels per say, as I'm a fan of missions that take you back to a certain area later on, which is also a fun way to reuse an existing map with only minor variations. Something more open-world oriented would be amazing to have, though that's opening its own can of worms as TDM isn't designed to have that many RPG elements.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

• 8 months later...

THIS WAS AMAZING!!  Felt like a whole game unto itself!

I for one am glad it went on for quite a while.. pleasantly surprised when it did so ( why stop of great thing that is going?!) . Great plot, love the difficulty in quite a few areas... very challenging.

Thank you so much for sharing your incredible talent with all of us, and also your time you put into this!

M

Edited by Unwanted Guest
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 9:20 AM, Unwanted Guest said:

THIS WAS AMAZING!!  Felt like a whole game unto itself!

I for one am glad it went on for quite a while.. pleasantly surprised when it did so ( why stop of great thing that is going?!) . Great plot, love the difficulty in quite a few areas... very challenging.

Thank you so much for sharing your incredible talent with all of us, and also your time you put into this!

M

Thank you for the kind words!

The reason why I stopped midway through the crystal hunt was because I felt the mission was getting really long. But at the time that was my thinking, I felt that the train was a good spot to have a break in the mission without being too jarring, so it felt right given the circumstances at the time.

If I was to go back and do things differently I would have just tried to finish up that crystal hunt but mapping is always a learning experience ;)

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!! I just completed this. I tried it once before, but it must've slipped my mind to finish it. What an awesome

mission. Definitely one of the best missions I've played. I love the twist at the end. :D Awesome job Goldwell. 

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

10 minutes ago, NeonsStyle said:

WOW!!! I just completed this. I tried it once before, but it must've slipped my mind to finish it. What an awesome

mission. Definitely one of the best missions I've played. I love the twist at the end. :D Awesome job Goldwell. 

Oh you flatter me!

I’m glad you enjoyed yourself! :D

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Another fantastic mission. I'm super impressed with the level of detail you got in there without frame rates going through the floor. Lots of loot, cleverly constructed secrets, and multiple avenues of entering areas. Guard patrol reoutes were cleverly planned with light and shadow in useful places for planning, and it never seemed like the guards were just parading back and forth in front of you all day.

The secret in John's suite was fiendish.

Spoiler

I understood that the painting was the clue but, because I couldn't work out who was doing what in that scene, I had to guess some of the digits. Since it turned out to be an old LGS favourite I had to smile at that point.

A few oddities:

Spoiler
  • If you look in mirrors while crouching there's all sorts of graphical oddities
  • The lamps on the wall on the top floor are just black silhouettes
  • I can confirm the issue other players had regarding the post-credits bug. The screen goes black- no light gem or inventory indicator or anything, but I can still hear myself running on an infinite wooden plane and hear the blackjack if I swing it. I did not use the console at any point.

8 creepy Sauron searchlights out of 10

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 1 month later...

A couple months after playing part 1 I now finished part 2. I loved the atmosphere, decoration and story. Voice acting was great.

The "ending" took me by surprise and I highly enjoyed this little addendum.

Overall, if part 3 existed I´d start playing right away!

If there´s one thing I would criticize it is the level design from a gameplay perspective. You have those really claustrophobic places with very short, overlapping guard routes. When I played Thief 2, for example, I tried to not do the whole quicksave/quickload dance and instead live with the consequences, which was possible cause in most situations you could run away and shake off the guards for a new approach. Here however once your are seen by a guard you basically have the choice of fighting them in usually a room the size of a broom closet, maybe using a flashbomb or quickloading. Trying to sneak past guards leads to comical situations which make suspension of disbelief impossible, at least for me. AI view is set to "challenging" here: https://streamable.com/u62fix While this is more of a DM problem than a FM problem, I think it would be best to kinda "work around" those issues when designing levels for this mod. For example, the first floor would have been better with one guard doing a long route instead of two doing those very short routes, and even a guard just sitting in the guard station, only reacting to noise, would have been fine.

In the end, I approach every situation the same way: Get rid of the guards by knocking them out and stacking them in some corner then explore the place like I own it. :D

Some modders tend to think every random nobleman´s library has to be richer and grander than the library of Alexandria, but you err in the opposite direction- at times it´s like you´re paying rent for every pixel!

Again, even though I wrote a short novel on what I didn´t like, I highly enjoyed this mission and the good by far outweighs the bad. Thanks for making it!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, stgatilov said:

@Goldwell, in case you decide to update this FM in some future, please fix the mirrors (4707).
I guess starting from 2.09 dmap will warn you about them.

I do plan to do updates for all of my missions, real life has been very hectic of late, so I haven't had a chance to even open TDM/DR in a couple of months now.

I'm hoping 2021 will be easier to manage so I can peel away for some older mission updates and to finish off my new missions.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...