The Dark Mod Forums

2016+ CPU/GPU News

jaxa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

AMD did the heavy lifting to evangelize multi-core over Ghz during the Bulldozer era.

Now Intel is taking advantage of that paradigm shift to cover for their inability to node shrink.

Even though the chip will probably be monstrous it shouldn't be too expensive to build since:

* 14nm++ is VERY VERY VERY mature

* Minimal new R&D costs to recover

* Intel owns the FAB's

I guess if these woes continue, Intel could start offering mainstream "multi-socket" motherboards,

add more DSP logic to the motherboard, hard-code more "macro ops", etc... just throw as much 14nm

silicon at the problem as possible whether it be on-die or in ancillary logic.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-specs-prices-leaked-upto-16-cores-5-1ghz-on-am4/

Leak of Ryzen 3000 series, so take it with a grain of salt.

AMD Ryzen CPU Cores/Threads Base Clock Boost Clock TDP Price Debut

Ryzen 3 3300 6/12 3.2GHz 4.0GHz 50W $99 CES

Ryzen 3 3300X 6/12 3.5GHz 4.3GHz 65W $129 CES

Ryzen 3 3300G 6/12 3.0GHz 3.8GHz 65W $129 Q3 2019

Ryzen 5 3600 8/16 3.6GHz 4.4GHz 65W $178 CES

Ryzen 5 3600X 8/16 4.0GHz 4.8GHz 95W $229 CES

Ryzen 5 3600G 8/16 3.2GHz 4.0GHz 95W $199 Q3 2019

Ryzen 7 3700 12/24 3.8GHz 4.6GHz 95W $299 CES

Ryzen 7 3700X 12/24 4.2GHz 5.0GHz 105W $329 CES

Ryzen 9 3800X 16/32 3.9GHz 4.7GHz 125W $449 CES

Ryzen 9 3850X 16/32 4.3GHz 5.1GHz 135W $499 May 2019

In addition to the massive core count increases and price per core decreases, instructions per clock is also improving.

Also, I predicted 16 cores would land at $500. But 16 cores at $450, 12 cores at $300? Hot damn.

The two models with the "G" would be the ones with integrated graphics. Previously only some quad-core Ryzen desktop (and mobile) CPUs had integrated graphics.

The most exciting thing about this lineup is that quad-core isn't even a consideration. Ryzen mobile will probably have quad-core and may even be limited to 4 cores, but it's just gone on the desktop front. Big contrast from the years of being stuck at quad-core on the Intel side (and you can treat the old 4 module, 8-"core" AMD Bulldozer CPUs as quad-cores).

While it seems unusual for the clock speeds to be going up as you travel up the lineup, apparently the 6-8 core CPUs use a single 8-core chiplet, whereas the 12-16 cores use two 8-core chiplets. So the area of the chips containing CPU cores is physically larger and the thermals could be better. The others can be explained by TDP differences or binning/price differentiation.

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13699/intel-architecture-day-2018-core-future-hybrid-x86

There's a lot to unpack here.

• More AVX-512.
  • 1 teraflops integrated graphics (although it is compared to 24 CU older version instead of 48 CUs to make it look better).
  • More explicit 10nm plans.
  • Adaptive Sync
  • Brand name for discrete graphics card in 2020: Xe
  • "Client" and "Datacenter" optimized discrete graphics cards, with "Client" apparently including integrated graphics and "Datacenter" including enthusiast (high-end) cards. Maybe that means that high memory bandwidth, non-crippled FP64, machine learning acceleration, etc. are enabled on high-end cards sold to gamers.
  • A rudimentary 3D packaging approach called FOVEROS.
  • Hybrid x86 chips, e.g. using Core i3 and Atom on the same die. Compare to ARM big.LITTLE.

• 2 weeks later...

This is some stuff about AMD laptop APUs:

https://wccftech.com/amd-launching-ryzen-3000-series-cpus-apus-radeon-gpu-ces/

I would suggest skipping the generation since it is still 12nm. 7nm might boost core counts and will definitely boost single-threaded performance, clocks, power efficiency, etc.

A couple of articles have suggested that Nvidia will split its GPU lineup, by including lower-priced, Turing-based GTX 1100-series GPUs that don't include dedicated ray-tracing cores:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-2050-gtx-1150-specs-performance-leak/

The RTX 2000 cards were prohibitively expensive at launch, so this is a way of getting Turing out cheaper. And since nobody really needs these ray tracing cores in 2018 since it will take 2+ years before games regularly feature raytracing, and subsequent generations of ray-tracing GPUs might actually be able to deliver a nice framerate, now you have a card you might actually want to buy.

AMD could smoke Nvidia with 7nm Navi GPUs early next year, with an RX 3080 Navi GPU at $250 matching Nvidia's RTX 2070 at $500. But as usual, any advantage will probably be short-lived and Nvidia will retain their high market share.

It may have been a good thing for AMD to not be first to add raytracing cores. It is overpriced hype for now, and they can respond within the next 2 years. But AMD will have to follow suit and pursue real-time raytracing.

With this, the earlier leaks about 7nm Ryzen with 12-16 cores are all but confirmed, including the exact clock speeds that were listed in the leak:

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-zen-2-cpus-ryzen-9-3900x-ryzen-7-ryzen-5-listed-online/

We should learn the truth at CES, which runs from Jan. 8 to 11.

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-specification-price,38731.html

This is along the lines of previous leaked info about Ryzen 3000-series, but still something to keep an eye on.

Also, Threadripper 3 will come out this year:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3rd-gen-threadripper-release-date,38757.html

There's 3 scenarios for maximum core count: 32, 48, or 64. My guess is that it will stay at 32 but who knows.

Edited by jaxa

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AMD Navi RX 5700

10% more performance than Nvidia RTX 2070 (in the game benchmark shown on stage)

More info, including pricing, on June 10.

Ryzen 3000 series, all to be released on July 7

IPC is up ~15%

Ryzen 5 3600

6 cores, 12 threads

3.6/4.2 GHz

65W TDP

$199

Ryzen 5 3600X

6 cores, 12 threads

3.8/4.4 GHz

95W TDP

$249

Ryzen 7 3700X

8 cores, 16 threads

3.6/4.4 GHz

65W TDP

(outperforms $385 Intel 9700K in single+multi threaded)

$329

Ryzen 7 3800X

8 cores, 16 threads

3.9/4.5 GHz

105W TDP

(outperforms $499 Intel 9900K in single+multi threaded)

$399

Ryzen 9 3900X

12 cores, 24 threads

3.8/4.6 GHz

105W TDP

(outperforms $1189 Intel 9920X - Blender benchmark)

$499

Edited by jaxa

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

https://www.cryengine.com/marketplace/product/neon-noir

I encourage you to try this benchmark on your machines. I was really surprised by results. On GTX 1060, which is really not fit for raytracing, I got 32 FPS for Ultra and 45 fps for Very High in 1080p.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15044/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-3960x-and-3970x-review-24-and-32-cores-on-7nm

AMD's new 24-core and 32-core Threadrippers destroy just about everything. Not only that, but a 64-core, 128-thread version is confirmed for early next year (and a 48-core is probable).

It will be interesting to see if AAA games start to use all these cores. The next-gen PlayStation 5 and Xbox will have 8 legit Zen 2 cores. 12-core 3900X and 16-core 3950X are "mainstream" chips, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see more games use up to 16 cores (but not as a requirement since streamers are likely to use some of those cores in the background). And if your game has parallelized enough logic to be able to use 12 or 16 cores, why not 24, 32, 48, or 64 cores? Threadripper 3 fixes up the architecture so that the "Game Mode" used on the previous chips shouldn't be needed anymore. The new sTRX4 socket was necessary to support those high core counts without starving some of the chiplets of bandwidth.

Usage of 8 cores is going to be standard due to the new consoles. They might even have additional ARM cores for background tasks. So any newer (resource intensive) game should be able to utilize 8 cores. I heard that Ashes of the Singularity can use 12 cores. 16+, who knows? I want to see games that can scale to use 32, 64, or even 128 x86 cores, when appropriate.

Edited by jaxa