The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Full Moon Fever by Spoonman (14/05/2016)

level

The grills are tricky the first time you handle them, but with a little practice, you can learn how to handle them without making a racket. I think it is a proper challenge.

The same goes for the ways to access your goals - they are a challenge, but not unreasonably hard by Thief standards.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

s.urfer:

Those are not the doors you are looking for. (Look around nearby)

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I absolutely love Full Moon Fever so far! It is my ideal kind of mission. A large manor with multiple entry points, a non-linear layout, and many guards who ensure that stealth is the best option.

My only complaint is that all too often guards cannot/will not go up or down small staircases to chase after me once I'm caught. There is an area in the basement where I knocked out a welder/engineer; guards heard me and came to investigate, but after seeing me, they would not walk up a small staircase to attack me. Instead, they threw stones at me. I had another problem when I picked one of the outer doors to the manor and got caught just after I had entered. I ran outside to escape the guards. Instead of following me down the small staircase, they went back inside the manor.

I have been enjoying this mission so much except for this fairly big game breaking occurrence.

I have modified a few files to make the game more to my liking. I thought that maybe my modifications had caused these problems. I tested this theory by downloading The Dark Mod and Full Moon Fever all over again and I had the very same problems that I just described playing with the unaltered files.

If you could look into this, I would be very grateful!!

Edited by SirGen

Fairly solid work! Big mansion, good plot twists/map changes partway through, only complaint is similar to others with the grills. Probably would have been better due to the sheer number of them to have them act like in most other missions where they're door-like.

Superb mission. Bloody racket making grills though. Sort of ghosted it (except for the one exception, once I figured out what it was doing), but close to my worst stealth score to date ... 65, with a *lot* of low level alerts -- everybody seems to have super sensitive hearing.

Edited by Araneidae

Excellent mission, very large map and great athmosphere. I felt like the first moments of my thief play before 2000's. Thank you! But i need help please :)

i could enter the study room via ventilation and only found study room key. So there is another locked room which gives a rat sound but i couldn't enter because there is wooden block under the lid. How can i enter?

Excellent mission, very large map and great athmosphere. I felt like the first moments of my thief play before 2000's. Thank you! But i need help please :)

i could enter the study room via ventilation and only found study room key. So there is another locked room which gives a rat sound but i couldn't enter because there is wooden block under the lid. How can i enter?

Ok, i figured out completely and easily say that it's a masterpiece fm! It includes many types of tastes from every thief game, thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really nice mission! At first i thougt this is a little too big and the story is not that deep. But then "something" small changed everything...

The vent system is really good. I like the loud bars. For me it's more logical than silent-doors...
You scared me like hell, when i was in the Lords Bedroom and outside there was something going on... I thought at first, perhaps the Lord is back. That would be also nice.
Just one wish- more readables. Some diaries, interacting servant-texts and especially the Lords Problems...
But, really cool mission! It would be cool if the fire-arrows could also open some doors, especially the lords room. And the nailed vent over his bedroom would also nice if you could destroy it, but i think it would colide with the rat-trigger...

Lovely mission , beautiful mansion.

I felt the ending was a little too easy ,and with my pathetic skill level that's saying something!But then ,I killed you know what early on which changes the story line seemingly reading previous posts.(Forgive me , I can't seem to do spoilers with this tablet so can't give any more details regarding this.)

Thank you , I really did enjoy this and will try it again later with the (seemingly ) game changing option.

• 1 month later...

Wow that is one of the best missions so far I ever played! Congrats on the giant manor with the helpful map and the many different guards patrolling it - very nice! :)

I only have problems with the sound. The electric lanterns on the ceilings emit a very loud beeping noise - sounds more like an error noise, because it is REALLY loud...

I just need help on:

Getting into the bed rooms and the crypts. It seems that the bed rooms are barricated from the inside (the door and the entrance from the ceiling). Also the door to the crypts can not be lock picked. I don't know if this can be solved with the key that might be found in the bed rooms, or the generator I read about in a letter to the smith in the cellar. It would be nice if someone could get me a small hint on how to get to the bed rooms if possible or the crypt if the bed rooms aren't accessible at all. I was searching both floors but it always takes a long time because of the many guards and lights (and the few water arrows).

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Ah never mind, I found it! :)

Wow I must say that this was by far the very best mission I ever played in TDM - my greatest respect for this masterpiece. This was a 11/10!!! I wonder where you learned building a mission which combines story, atmosphere, graphics and gameplay in perfect level design? Just pure awesomeness !!!

EDIT: It would be a 12/10 if there were not those strange sound "beep" errors with the lanterns and in the crypt ;)

Edited by SeriousToni
  • Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Here are some videos showing the behavior described in my last post.

I downloaded The Dark Mod and Full Moon Fever again yesterday, and did not modify any files, to ensure that I hadn't caused the problem myself.

Edited by SirGen
  • Like 1

That's just bad path-finding, I will hazard a bet that those steps are a single FS, which is why the Ai wont path-find down them.

I looked at the spots in question and they are indeed missing the nodraw solid textures on or beneath the func_static steps that allow AI to use them.

@Bikerdude and grayman

Thanks for looking into this! I think there are a few other spots with the same problem, but I can't remember where exactly.

Hopefully this is something that Spoonman won't mind fixing.

Edited by SirGen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Played this just now. It took me 1.5hrs, with a stealth score of 51. No knockouts or kills.

Interesting plot & mystery. Well designed mission. Excellent aesthetics. I even got a map, which was certainly necessary, due to the complexity of the manor. Space was very well thought of and I really liked the architecture and the use of verticality, so that stairs shift the level inside a single floor. That breaks the flatness in an interesting way.

My only gripe was the handling of the grates. I was causing a lot of alerts when I tried to move them out of the way.

Other than that, this mission is a masterpiece!

Excellent job! Thanks for making it!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.