The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Full Moon Fever by Spoonman (14/05/2016)

level

Excellent, indeed! Loved the visuals and the feel of the mansion, as well as the basement and related areas! Perfect level of difficulty for the 'early' guards, a bit annoying just how reactive the 'later' guards were (almost unrealistically so, compared to the 'early' ones). Would be 'excellent' for all catagories, if such a poll had been included in this thread!

As per the grates:

move to directly in front of a vertical (non-duct) grate - square on - then carefully frob it without moving the mouse at all. Then perhaps let go of the mouse, and creep backward - the grate will be freed without a sound. If in the servant's room, stand and slow-walk to a bed and lower the grate near a top-bunk's bedding before letting go. It should land without more than a hint of a muted noise.

A few things to perhaps fix, but aren't a complaint so much as a polishing-up of such an excellent effort - as someone else commented earlier most of the moveables aren't placed correctly (1 pixel above the item they are one) and so fall 'into' the object below (this happened dozens of times to me, and so became the only immersion-breaking aspect). There are a few lamps hung from a chain, and as can be seen if climbing onto the roof of the stable the chains stick up thru into the open air - happens inside the mansion in at least one place as well. And as noted above, the 'later' guards are overly sensitive to sounds, even ones made while creeping across tile in deepest shadows.

The way the loot was findable is quite logical and realistic -

I entered the basement and then climbed to the ducts, and so explored the upper floor first, where more things aren't readily findable like the candlesticks in the library. Then descended to the ground floor where all loots (that I found, at least) are displayed openly. Minor headache when looking in the sarchophagi (sarcophagodes?) to see if more unseen loot, but that only adds an element of realism to the search.

If you finish more of your missions, I look forward to playing them too!

• Like 1

It's never a three hour tour.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a bit late, but I just started playing Darkmod again, and this is one together with the Voltas is one the first missions I played. A good mission, but I discovered a bug that caused a crash to desktop. It may have been listed in the beta forums, but since I have no access there, I'll describe it here just in case:

I went to the study through the vents, but since the noise from fiddling with the grills had caused some guards to patrol just outside the door, I stacked some chairs and climbed back through the vent shaft. Later, when the plot twist had already occured, I went back to the study to see if I had missed any loot there, and tried the study key on the door - instant crash to desktop.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Lots of bug reports incoming.

As of updating to 2.06 I'm having an issue with this staircase.

CMxSQVA.jpg

I've turned soft shadows and multi-core enhancement off, neither seems to fix the problem.

South east corner of the map.

3l6olez.jpg.South entrance staircase.

Yx6Zc8Q.jpg

Tomb

I can't seem to frob this loot whatsoever, which confused me up until I realized there is a literal wall placed over it preventing me from even physically nudging it.

hlMxYZM.jpg

As for the mission I fucking loved it.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

Those anomalies aren't 2.06 specific as I have seen them in 2.05, this is caused by too many brushes intersecting - changing to FS should fix the issue/s.

Ah, all right.

Will this mission be as is, or will there be updates/fixes incoming?

If there are no plans to update I'll be covering the mission in it's current state.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

These are cosmetic, so as long as they are the only bugs they shouldn't unduly effect your play through.

One of them is an inability to frob loot.

Also I just generally speaking don't wish to present TDM in a worse light than necessary.

As this mission is well into my Top 5 and I'd like it to be presented in the best possible light by Vman, I've fixed the 4 bugs mentioned by him, no more no less, in doing so making sure pathfinding and visportalling would remain intact. I did notice that my setup compresses the mission files to 1-2mb less than the original, even before I made any changes.

Full Moon Fever (Edit: on the mission downloader now)

Edited by Dragofer

It's up on the missions.

I bumped the version number on the FM page so it should show as an available update

for fever_2_0.pk4 if you have the original fever.pk4 it will cause you to have a duplicate

mission installed just like the original fever_2_0 does.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 weeks later...

At the request of Dragofer I did a perfectionist run of the mission.

I love it, right down to and especially the fact that you can prevent the outbreak by intercepting the rat.

• Like 1

Yes, awesome mission!

It seems the "plain" manor mission but it turns out as a door labyrith with an unexpected plot twist :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 1 month later...

Edit: Found it.

Need a hint here, please.

How do I get into the locked room in the basement? I'm thinking that may be the way to the crypt? or am I way off base? Have looked up, down and all around, what am I missing? None of my keys fit nor lockpicking. Any help very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Edit: Figured it out, missed it the first time I was in the room. Thanks.

Edited by Thiefette

Finished this up today. It was familiar at the beginning and I think I started way back when but never finished, sorry don't remember why. Anyways, restarted and all complete and I have to say WOW!

I wasn't expecting such a huge map with such a massive loot total lol, but after much searching, I did find it all!

I enjoyed a lot of things about this mission. The lighting was just right in most places so you could sneak around but still feel the tension of trying to avoid the patrols. Since I was playing the updated version, I didn't have the vent problem others have mentioned - so appreciate that. I got turned around a few times but the layout was good.

I snuck through as much as I could, learned the layout and then went back and blackjacked my way through (except of course the captain) to get at some of the loot. I let the rat go (actually I watched as it scurried away thinking - hmm something wrong with that rat), searched the lords room (missing a key piece I found out later) and turned to go and try the basement door again. I was quite surprised by the twist - nice one.

After trying the basement door again, I reloaded a pre-rat save and went about searching (and dodging the captain) and became quite frustrated (hence my earlier comment). I conquered this frustration with a fire arrow to the "dear" captain and proceeded with a thorough search uninterrupted. When that had zero results, that left only one room and I soon realized where it had to be. So I loaded my pre-rat save, captain still alive (don't like to kill people) and found what I had been missing. The rest went fairly smoothly. As I descended into the crypt, the tension remained high as I kept expecting more trouble below. I only had to kill one flame head to get out but I can live with that.

Thanks for all your hard work, Spoonman. Look forward to more.