The Dark Mod Forums

NeonsStyle [Work In Progress]

NeonsStyle

Thanks Destined. Those should do the trick nicely. :)

Now I have another question.

I have an objeective, an entity, and I want the player to place this entity in a trigger and then have that trigger have an AI get out of bed (or out of chair (Not patrolling), then

say something, and head off and unlock a certain door, kill another AI then leave the door unlocked, return to where he was.

So how do I do this? I'm guessing a trigger_once where I want the player to drop the entity into. I saw path_attack, but not sure if I can

use it, or how to use it. I was searching wiki earlier on this, trying to find a way to do it and had no luck.

Anyone know either how to do this or point me to a wiki entry? I spent the last 2 hours searching,

Once this one is done, there's just some performance issues to sort then I think I'm ready for Beta.

Neon

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Ok, I am also more guessing than knowing here, but I would try the following:

I assume that you already have the "drop item" obejctive working. On the "Objectives" Wiki page, there is a method to send the AI on its path and I believe there was another method in the Wiki somewhere, but I cannot remember right now. I can check later, if you want. For the door, you can use a trigger relay (targeted for example by the "drop item" objective) (with stim/response, stim: trigger response: Set Spawnarg: Door, locked, 0). The first target of the AI path should then be a path corner right in front of him, that triggers a conversation (see Conversations Wiki page for details). Then I would let this AI walk to the other person and when he arrives (or earlier, depending on how many other AI are present) switch the team of the second AI to any enemy team (see AI relations) and set its health to 1, if you want a very quick fight (the path_attack is listed in the Wiki as not working, by the way). Then you can turn the first AI back on a routine patrol/sit cycle.

I know, this is a very rough description and as I said, I am not sure if all this works as it does in my head, but I hope it helps and at least gives a couple of places, where you can look.

Quote:

Ok, I am also more guessing than knowing here, but I would try the following:

I assume that you already have the "drop item" obejctive working. On the "Objectives" Wiki page, there is a method to send the AI on its path and I believe there was another method in the Wiki somewhere, but I cannot remember right now. I can check later, if you want. For the door, you can use a trigger relay (targeted for example by the "drop item" objective) (with stim/response, stim: trigger response: Set Spawnarg: Door, locked, 0). The first target of the AI path should then be a path corner right in front of him, that triggers a conversation (see Conversations Wiki page for details). Then I would let this AI walk to the other person and when he arrives (or earlier, depending on how many other AI are present) switch the team of the second AI to any enemy team (see AI relations) and set its health to 1, if you want a very quick fight (the path_attack is listed in the Wiki as not working, by the way). Then you can turn the first AI back on a routine patrol/sit cycle.

I know, this is a very rough description and as I said, I am not sure if all this works as it does in my head, but I hope it helps and at least gives a couple of places, where you can look.

I've not done any of the objectives yet, I'm working on that part now since almost everything else is done (except some atmospherics).

I've been going through the objectives wiki (tough going. I'm no programmer, and it sounds very complicated. It sounds like I need to use info_location somehow to have

the item dropped to, and then.... well I'm lost after that. Still reading. <very confused>

Be great if you could check. Do you know of a tutorial on Objectives?

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I agree, the Objectives Wiki page is a bit difficult to read and, to be honest, a bit outdated. This doesn't mean, that the infomation itself is outdated, but there is a much more convenient way to create and manage your objectives. Since Version 0.9.7 of DR there is a Objectives Editor. On the top of the objectives Wiki page, there is a link to its Wiki page (or you directly search for "objectives editor"). This page is very detailed and has a good tutorial for the use of the Objectives Editor and how to set up the most common objectives.

I believe there was another method in the Wiki somewhere, but I cannot remember right now. I can check later, if you want.

I just found the entry I thought of earlier. It is actually in the "Path Nodes" Wiki subsection "Switching from one Path Network to Another". But it simply describes, how to change the paths, not start an AI walking on a path. In general, you need the resonse "Add Target" with Entity: sitting AI and Target: Waypoint. So, in order to start your patrol, I would suggest to set up the "drop object" objective (as described in the Objectives Editor Wiki). In the text field "Completion Target" you write the name of a trigger relay. The trigger relay, in turn, targets the sitting AI. The sitting AI gets a stim: "trigger" and a response: "Add Target" with Entitiy: _SELF and Target: Waypoint. Maybe there is a more direct way, but right now I cannot think of any.

Thanks Destined. I'll try to get that to work.

Ok one at a time. The drop object gets setup to react to a trigger_relay which connects to trigger an info_location in the Objectives editor yes? That does the the drop object part? This is a real head fuck for the first timer lol

Edited by NeonsStyle

No, its the other way around. The trigger is activated by the successful object.

First, you set up the "drop object" objective as described in the Wiki:

An Objective to place an object in a Certain Location

To make an objective where an object (body, junk object, readable, or even the player) has to be placed somewhere:

• Create a brush where you want the object to be put. This might be the size of a room, a street, or a chest or wherever you want the object. Better to make it too large than too small--the origin point of the object needs to be inside the brush to activate it.
  • Texture it with common > clip
  • With the brush selected, Create entity > info > info_tdm_objective_location
  • Give this entity a name you can remember like BodyDrop. Write it down or in a text editor
  • Give your object, eg, a ragdoll, a name, eg, JakesCorpse and note it down.
  • If it is not the player, then give it the property "objective_ent" and set it to "1"
  • Menu > Map > Objectives
  • If you haven't yet got any objectives then click the + Add button at top right. This creates a atdm:target_addobjectives entity so later make sure it is not in the void or you get a leak. Put it somewhere convenient. It is not visible in game.
  • Select the atdm:target_addobjectives in the Objectives entities list top left
  • In the objectives list below click the +Add button on the right.
  • This creates a new objective in the objectives list. Select it.
  • Click the edit button on the right.
  • Type a description near the top, eg, Carry Jake's body back to X and drop it in the soandso
  • In the components list further down click the +Add button on the right.
  • This creates a default Kill objective. Select it. Click the Edit button.
  • Just below it click the Type bar and from the list that show select 'Item is in location' (NOT Item is in info_location!!)
  • Further down click the bar below 'Entity' and select 'Name of single entity'
  • On the right of that type or paste in the name of the object (eg ragdoll) entity eg, JakesCorpse
  • Below, click the bar below Location and select 'Name of single entity'
  • On the right of that type or paste in the location entity name you gave above, eg, BodyDrop
  • Click the OK button and OK again and save your map.

Then you create a trigger relay, that targets your AI. Your AI gets the stim/response pair Stim: Trigger; Response: Add Target (Entity: _SELF, Target: Waypoint) In the Objectives Editor there is a field "Completion Target" in the left column in the middle. In that field you write the name of the trigger relay. I.e. the trigger relay gets targeted, as soon as the objective is completed.The trigger relay then triggers your AI, which triggers the stim, that results in the AI getting your Waypoint as a new target. If you Waypoint does not have any other targets, your AI should just stand there and do nothing else.

I would recommend to create a small test map, in order to sort this out (Just one room, 1 light, the player start and the entities you need for your setup). This small map has much lower loading and dmap times and you can concentrate on the task at hand. As soon as you have figured it out, it is usually no big deal to repeat it for your WIP.

• Like 1

All of that list is crystal clear. However the Stim/Response is confusing.

Are you saying the AI gets spawnargs

Stim target_relay_1 (name of trigger_relay set up in step before)?

Response I have no idea what you mean by Add Target to Entity _Self? It sounds like you're saying add spawnarg target_player1 to AI and target the AI?

I know this is very clear for you, but to me there's a mess of info missing haha. I see:

Set Stim Trigger (what trigger?) Set Response (to what? with what spawnargs?) lol I'm sure this sounds like stupid questions, but it's only a stupid question if you

know the answer lol.

What I need is a list of actions for me to do, then I can learn the full process. I have all the objectives setup as you described in that list.

• Like 1

The stim/response system works like follows:

You select your entity (in this case the AI) and select "Stim/Response..." in the entity menu. This will open a new window. In the first menu, you define stims, to which the entity reacts (for AI there is a "Visual" stim inherited, which means the AI will give a response as soon as it sees something). Here you click "Add" to create a new stim (this will automatically be a "Frob" stim) and change the Type from "Frob" to "Trigger" in the dropdown menu on the right. In general, you can define any given stim to create an effect for this entity (e.g. if the entity gets damage, if the entity is frobbed, etc). For "Trigger" this means that, as soon as the entity is the target of a trigger-entity (could also be a trigger once, trigger multiple etc.) the Stim will look for a Response with the same type. So now you go to the "Responses" menu. There you can already see a couple of responses, that are inherited for the AI. Again, you click "Add" and change the type to "Trigger". This connects the response you want to the stim you added beforehand. In the "Response Effects" part you now can define, what effect your response has. Right-click on this part and select "Add new Effect" to add an effect. Right-click on it and select "Edit". This opens a new smal window, where you can define a variety of responsens. The "Activate" responses acitvate stuff, that is inherently deactivated (e.g. you can set stims not active, so the entity will not react to that stim, until activated), you can also deactivate stuff, you can set entities frobable/unfrobable ertc. This is actually the core of the stim/response system as you define any effects your response includes. For your purpose you select "Add Target" in the dropdown menu. Under Arguments you see two dropdown menus. The first (Entity) defines the entity on which the new target should be set, the second one (Target) defines the Target that should be added. So you set Entity to "_SELF" as this targets the entity on which the response sits (which is your AI) and set Target to "Waypoint" as this is the target you want to add. You do not necessarily need to use the dropdown menu. You can also just type in the name of the entity (especially in big maps, this is recommended, because the list gets VERY long).

This automatically creates spawnargs for the stim and the response on the AI, but you need not concern yourself with it, because you can always change them in the "Stim/Response..." menu. So, what is supposed to happen is the following: The objective created before targets the trigger relay, as soon as it is fulfilled. The trigger relay sends a trigger to the AI. Because of this trigger the Stim/Response pair with the Type "Trigger" take effect. In this case, the effect is that the Entity "_SELF" (i.e. the entity the Response effect is on, in this case the AI) gets the new target "Waypoint".

The Stim/Response system is in some form used for a lot of things. E.g. a light switch has a Stim "Frob" and a Response "Turn Light Off" (and most likely a "Set Skin" to the respecitve unlit skin). You can also create teleporters (with the effect "Move to position"), play sounds, remove entities, etc. It is a very powerful tool in DR. There are still a lot of things that cannot be done with this system and actually need a script, but this system is relatively easy to use as soon as you get the hang of it and you can circumvent some scripting with it.

• Like 1

Ahah. That explains a lot. Great. I got all that done.

There is one issue though. Starting it as a fm in game, after you click the Objectives during the loading, I just get a dark screen with music playing and it

just hangs there. I have to end task to close it. I'm guessing I'm missing something. The briefing isn't done yet, so I was wondering if that might be

it now there's an objective, but I never had an issue with that before.

Thank you so much Destined. You've gone above & beyond mate. Really appreciate it.

You're very welcome. I know how confusing some of this stuff can be, especially when you do it for the first time.

There is one issue though. Starting it as a fm in game, after you click the Objectives during the loading, I just get a dark screen with music playing and it

just hangs there. I have to end task to close it. I'm guessing I'm missing something. The briefing isn't done yet, so I was wondering if that might be

it now there's an objective, but I never had an issue with that before.

I don't really understand what you did here. How can you do anything, while your FM loads (I actually never tried to do anything while loading)? Did you do the whole setup in your WIP or did you make a test map? And which approach do you use right now for testing (the load WIP as a FM or the "dmap/map" with console version)? I always use the "dmap/map" without any FM loaded version and did not have any problems with it. I also have no briefing nor a shop set up, yet.

You're very welcome. I know how confusing some of this stuff can be, especially when you do it for the first time.

I don't really understand what you did here. How can you do anything, while your FM loads (I actually never tried to do anything while loading)? Did you do the whole setup in your WIP or did you make a test map? And which approach do you use right now for testing (the load WIP as a FM or the "dmap/map" with console version)? I always use the "dmap/map" without any FM loaded version and did not have any problems with it. I also have no briefing nor a shop set up, yet.

No I didn't do anything while loading lol. I set it up using the .pk4 method then picking new game, install the fm,

and running it. That's where it gives the black screen.

I did all you were talking about above in a new version of my map.

Basically, I setup a brush, textured it trigger then used that to setup the objective as described above. The objective detects the book, and triggers the relay.

Then I added the trigger_relay

That then triggers the AI as you described in Stim/Response. Then I setup a path_corner/path_wait to where the AI has to go. The Respose was targeted to that path_corner.

Then I saved it, dmapped it and I get a black screen if I use the .pk4 method and if I use the map method, with map <mapname> it aborts with trailer 1 missing line error.

If there was a log that's made when you dmap I'd post it. The error is right at the bottom.

Edited by NeonsStyle

Hm, I have no idea what causes your error. The "trailer 1 missing" really sounds like it wants to play a video that it doesn't find, but I am not sure about that...

One thing regarding the workflow you described: You don't need to make a brush in order to create the trigger relay. You can simply use right-click -> create entity and then select the trigger relay. Or are there now two trigger entities? Because one trigger should suffice.

Anyway, this should have nothing to do with the error message that appears. There was a post some time ago, in which it is described how to save dmap logs, but I cannot find it right now. Maybe you can ask in the Newbie DR Questions thread. Someone is bound to know. Apart from that, I fear I cannot help you with this problem :(

Thanks heaps Destined. I'll do what you suggest. Really appreciate your help m8. :)

I'm still stuck with this issue. I made a post with logs here

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/9082-newbie-darkradiant-questions/page-272

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of quick question. How do I reflect a rope arrow if I don't still want to use a wood material? Is there a way to do it?

Also, how do I change heads on AI? I'll check the startmap, I think there's something there on it.

Thx

Neon

Edited by NeonsStyle

You can simply use the full_clip texture. This is a clip texture that prevents anything passing, while a regular clip will let projectiles through. Alternatively you could use the tdm_nodrawsolid_<material> texture with any material you like. I thought there was something like a projectile_clip at some point, but maybe it was just my imagination...

Cool, so you mean the Clip Plus right?

Thanks Destined.

Clip plus is another clip texture, but also works (full_clip comes later in the folder, under "f", who would have thought ;) ). The difference between full_clip and clip plus is that full_clip blocks everything, while clip plus still lets through moveables. But directly in front of another brush this really does not matter.

Thanks Destined.

Another question. I have a scene I want to voice, so I need to remove the voice of an AI so they don't have different voices. How would you do that? It's the

Noble voice that needs to be removed.

Giving him the mute vocal set would make him silent - but it'd depend on how that noble is involved in your map. Do you only ever see him in that cutscene? Then a mute vocal set would do, although I don't think it's necessary because AIs don't seem to talk randomly when they're in a conversation. But if he's going to be patrolling the map before and after then it's going to be best to get your voice actor to imitate one of the existing vocal sets.

Also, nobles can also use other vocal sets than specifically the ones named 'noble'. TDM's vocal sets are generally designed to be versatile in terms of who they can be used for.

He won't be seen until the player complete's an objective. He can't get out of the room he's in. Actually there might be a way to do it where his voice

is never heard at all. Not sure yet if there will be a cut scene at the start or not yet. I'd like there to be, but it seems pretty hard to organise the briefing

that way. Might not be a wise thing for my first level.

So AI voices are used with the snd_shader spawnarg? Also while I'm at it, how do you change an AI's head? I guess it's a def_attach but not sure which one.

Oh also, why is it that the water source Blood is a pool of brains and not a pool of blood?

Neon

Edited by NeonsStyle

There's a tab named 'AI' under the camera, that can be used to edit AIs in a whole lot of ways without digging around in spawnargs.

Why would a cutscene at the start be problematic, from a storytelling perspective? A cutscene is just a moment where the player is viewing the map through a cameraview entity.